Would you stand or not if you were an NFL player? (1 Viewer)

Would you stand for the national anthem if you were an NFL player?

• YES

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • NO

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
Tim Tebow prayed in the end zone and Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand during the national anthem. Both are vilified by different segments of society, but no one says Tim Tebow does not have the "right" to pray, and yet it seems many are saying Kaepernick does not have the "right" to kneel.

Yep

Players would incur and enormous backlash of hate for bowing to Allah but it's perfectly fine to kneel to Jesus/Jehovah

So we're hearing all this backlash against NFL players who may not stand for the national anthem on this day, the 15th anniversary of 9/11. What I see in this act is not disrespect at all but rather a demonstration of how divided a society we are. 15 years ago we were so united, and stood as one against a despicable act by a band of criminals. Now, 15 years later we have a divide on police shootings of minorities, a divide over Latino and Muslim immigration to the US, and an election which is only pounding that wedge further in. If NFL players choose to not stand for the national anthem, then this is only a sad comparison to 15 tears ago when so many NFL players of all colors stood with tears streaming down their faces as the anthem was played at the first game after 9/11.

I would kneel also, and take my lumps for so doing

This is why "we" fight.

It doesn't matter if your message wasn't well received...

It Matters that it was heard.

There are other ways to protest. The flag is sacrosanct.

This is all a straw man argument.

I wish football wasn't part of the entertainment industry. I wish it was a sport again.

Rodney also publicly apologized, like the following day. Im sure some bros assisted in getting his mind right...

I'd be more than happy to have to put up with people eyeing me in a store if I could regularly walk around with $2,000 - $3,000 in my pocket. :(

The flag itself, yes. But the ideals it symbolizes and what people gave and sacrificed under that flag throughout our history is MUCH more than just a piece of cloth.

ok

This is all a straw man argument.

I wish football wasn't part of the entertainment industry. I wish it was a sport again.

sports have always been entertainment :shrug:

I'd be more than happy to have to put up with people eyeing me in a store if I could regularly walk around with $2,000 - $3,000 in my pocket. :(

inorite? :freak7:

You're not supposed to.

The flag itself, yes. But the ideals it symbolizes and what people gave and sacrificed under that flag throughout our history is MUCH more than just a piece of cloth.

Don't forget about what was stolen and desecrated on behalf of that flag. It symbolizes those atrocities as well. But people who salute the flag only wanna salute the "good" parts. They only wanna talk about the noble things it represents and leave out the diabolical. I see all of it and the good can't even begin to compensate for the bad.

I'd be ecstatic with the exact amount of money I have in my pockets right now, if it meant I could walk into any store I wanted and not be hovered over and conspicuously trailed, to not have sales associates tell me something I'm holding is 'expensive' when I never even asked and/or the price is right there on the product. To not have them reach into my bags up to their armpits to make sure I haven't taken anything that's not on my receipt at the self-checkout counter. To have them just once acknowledge me when I need their help instead of looking through me to the white customers standing behind me and offer to help them. I would give away some of the money in my pockets if I could experience that for just.. like a month.

I want to know what that feels like.

I am not sure, when I was a kid I didn't like putting my hand over my heart because I was a rebellious teen. I think now I would stand, and part of that is me feeling like it would be pretentious of me to act like I understand the struggle of african americans in this country. I totally understand why Kapernick didn't stand, and I love that people are discussing it, but I don't know if would stand or not. If the team were doing it together I would probably stand for solidarity.

The thing is people who experience that all the time can't really truly understand that you don't.

I'd be ecstatic with the exact amount of money I have in my pockets right now, if it meant I could walk into any store I wanted and not be hovered over and conspicuously trailed, to not have sales associates tell me something I'm holding is 'expensive' when I never even asked and/or the price is right there on the product. To not have them reach into my bags up to their armpits to make sure I haven't taken anything that's not on my receipt at the self-checkout counter. To have them just once acknowledge me when I need their help instead of looking through me to the white customers standing behind me and offer to help them. I would give away some of the money in my pockets if I could experience that for just.. like a month.

I want to know what that feels like.
I meant no offense and I'm truly sorry that is something you have to deal with. I've been followed through stores before and even busted an undercover security guard once that was trailing me. Kind of a funny story, I started following him. Every time he'd move to a different rack I'd move over next to him. What made it so obvious was the clothes he was moving to wouldn't have fit him and they were all different sizes. The guy finally got annoyed, gave me an eat **** look and walked off. I saw him talking on his radio down the aisle. Nobody should ever have to deal with that type of treatment. I apologize if it seemed I was trying to diminish that issue, I just thought it a bit ironic that he was complaining of that kind of treatment in criticism of CK al the while talking about having thousands of dollars in walking cash. Came across as 1st world problem-ish and a bit hypocritical to me.

Don't forget about what was stolen and desecrated on behalf of that flag. It symbolizes those atrocities as well. But people who salute the flag only wanna salute the "good" parts. They only wanna talk about the noble things it represents and leave out the diabolical. I see all of it and the good can't even begin to compensate for the bad.

That's right, we talk about what it stands for, what ideals it stands for, not what atrocities were performed under it by sick-minded, hateful individuals. By you're example we should all be burning it in shame on our lawns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom