Would you still watch the NFL if Goodell openly say that the games are rigged? (1 Viewer)

A while back someone went back and compared the Saints opponents penalties to their average for the season. Everyone had a lower penalty total against the Saints than their average for the year. That's not possible without some shenanigans from the league and not just a few refs. That's like flipping a coin 15 times and coming up heads 15 times. It's possible, just very unlikely.

You don't need all the players and coaches to be on the take. You don't even need the officials to be on the take. The NFL just needs to tell the refs to call a game a certain way and that's all it takes. The NFL clearly does that. They call the games differently in the playoffs than they do the regular season. It's not a stretch to believe they do this on a per-game basis. It's not directly fixing games, but it's certainly influencing games.

The NFL is about money with the owners. And with profit sharing, that matters more than wins and losses.

After Katrina, the Saints definitely got all the calls. The Rams got all the calls after a new stadium. The NFL has an agenda, and that's to make money, not be fair.

The NFL argued in court that they were an entertainment sport, like WWE. Why would they do that? They can't fix games, like in boxing where you ask someone to take a fall. But, they can absolutely influence games by how they are called. But, teams can still muck it up with turnovers and everything even with help from the refs.
💯 but you’re wasting your time. Not worth the effort.

A while back someone went back and compared the Saints opponents penalties to their average for the season. Everyone had a lower penalty total against the Saints than their average for the year. That's not possible without some shenanigans from the league and not just a few refs. That's like flipping a coin 15 times and coming up heads 15 times. It's possible, just very unlikely.

You don't need all the players and coaches to be on the take. You don't even need the officials to be on the take. The NFL just needs to tell the refs to call a game a certain way and that's all it takes. The NFL clearly does that. They call the games differently in the playoffs than they do the regular season. It's not a stretch to believe they do this on a per-game basis. It's not directly fixing games, but it's certainly influencing games.

The NFL is about money with the owners. And with profit sharing, that matters more than wins and losses.

After Katrina, the Saints definitely got all the calls. The Rams got all the calls after a new stadium. The NFL has an agenda, and that's to make money, not be fair.

The NFL argued in court that they were an entertainment sport, like WWE. Why would they do that? They can't fix games, like in boxing where you ask someone to take a fall. But, they can absolutely influence games by how they are called. But, teams can still muck it up with turnovers and everything even with help from the refs.
What years and what defense was it when those numbers were compiled? ...LOL. We were committing penalties left and right for a while there. Even if just the refs, the players play and best team that day will win most of the time. If a team is better and plays a clean game they take the refs out of it and should beat the crap out of the lesser team. What kills us with penalties is we might have a few really bad calls then follow it up with legit, bonehead penalties or a turnover at the worst possible time.

I wouldn’t watch another game if it was confirmed the sport was rigged. I’ve stopped watching basketball after the BLM nonsense and baseball after the league moved the All star game out of Georgia. Before even reading the law. Total BS. if this continues all sensible minded people will be able forced to watch is golf, or worse curling.

They already do...

They label themselves as Sport Entertainment.

If the NFL was classed as a sport, with individual teams competing against each other, they could be charged under antitrust laws for fixing games. But being classed as a form of entertainment, the teams are technically working in unison for entertainment purposes, so it's perfectly legal for the NFL to fix a game.

The NFL has already officially stated that the games are rigged. It is "entertainment" not "sport" - they said so in court papers.

It's wrasslin.

This is a popular myth that has gained widespread prominence by repetition. But it is not really true. The court findings in the case that Carl Mayer brought against the Patriots were to the effect that a breach of an NFL rule by a relevant participant cannot sound in a legal remedy. In other words, if I buy a ticket to a game, I do not have standing to sue for any loss I suffer personally because of a breach by the NFL of it's own rules -- not the law. In that case, Spygate was a breach of the NFL's rules. It was not unlawful. This is quite logical and is not confined to the NFL.

Otherwise, you would have a situation where a ticketholder could theoretically sue for damages in a whole range of circumstances, from a wellness policy violation involving a player who was on a team that beat their own, to an incorrect refereeing decision. It would open the floodgates in the worst kind of way.

That people have extrapolated it to mean the NFL can rig games with impunity simply does not stack up. The decisions do not insulate the league from exposure to liability where there is an actual conspiracy to engage in fraudulent activity. I don't know consumer protection laws over there, but with wagering on the increase I suspect there would be some sort of statutory protection against misleading/deceptive conduct too (which is what the NFL would be participating in if they were actively "rigging" games that are represented to the public as legitimate athletic contests).

The Tommy-Lee Lewis no-call was abysmal, of course. But how many people have to be "in on it" for that to be truly rigged? Same for Marcus Williams the year earlier. And yet we've never seen any credible evidence from anywhere that there is systematic "rigging" of outcomes. Surely, a whistleblower would have come out by now.

What years and what defense was it when those numbers were compiled? ...LOL. We were committing penalties left and right for a while there. Even if just the refs, the players play and best team that day will win most of the time. If a team is better and plays a clean game they take the refs out of it and should beat the crap out of the lesser team. What kills us with penalties is we might have a few really bad calls then follow it up with legit, bonehead penalties or a turnover at the worst possible time.

I don't recall exactly. I believe it was the year before last.

I agree that the teams and players are not involved. But, how many times did we see a bogus holding call or a bad DPI call at a critical moment? Those had nothing to do with how cleanly the game was played. It only takes one or two calls a game to influence who wins or loses.

And, I don't think the refs are told, "We want you to make sure the Saints lose." I think it's more the refs are told to call a game a certain way as far as how they call penalties that will affect one team more than the other.

This is a popular myth that has gained widespread prominence by repetition. But it is not really true. The court findings in the case that Carl Mayer brought against the Patriots were to the effect that a breach of an NFL rule by a relevant participant cannot sound in a legal remedy. In other words, if I buy a ticket to a game, I do not have standing to sue for any loss I suffer personally because of a breach by the NFL of it's own rules -- not the law. In that case, Spygate was a breach of the NFL's rules. It was not unlawful. This is quite logical and is not confined to the NFL.

Otherwise, you would have a situation where a ticketholder could theoretically sue for damages in a whole range of circumstances, from a wellness policy violation involving a player who was on a team that beat their own, to an incorrect refereeing decision. It would open the floodgates in the worst kind of way.

That people have extrapolated it to mean the NFL can rig games with impunity simply does not stack up. The decisions do not insulate the league from exposure to liability where there is an actual conspiracy to engage in fraudulent activity. I don't know consumer protection laws over there, but with wagering on the increase I suspect there would be some sort of statutory protection against misleading/deceptive conduct too (which is what the NFL would be participating in if they were actively "rigging" games that are represented to the public as legitimate athletic contests).

The Tommy-Lee Lewis no-call was abysmal, of course. But how many people have to be "in on it" for that to be truly rigged? Same for Marcus Williams the year earlier. And yet we've never seen any credible evidence from anywhere that there is systematic "rigging" of outcomes. Surely, a whistleblower would have come out by now.

Here's an interesting article. Doesn't prove anything, but it does make you go, "Hmmmmm!"

Benny Cunningham says NFL is Scripted

I wouldn’t watch another game if it was confirmed the sport was rigged. I’ve stopped watching basketball after the BLM nonsense and baseball after the league moved the All star game out of Georgia. Before even reading the law. Total BS. if this continues all sensible minded people will be able forced to watch is golf, or worse curling.
HEY!!!!! What’s wrong with curling????😂😂😂

HogWash.

I won't argue that some refs might be biased against the Saints. Human nature. After all, we routinely roast them. But intentionally throwing a game one way or the other?

Hogwash. Does not happen.

We would be better off staging a ref Appreciation Day instead of accusing them of incompetence or worse corruption. How unbiased would you be if a team's fans were saying you were on the take. Making them the enemy only hurts us.

Do people still watch wrestling? ;)

I think millions of people would stop watching football then.
But there would still be a crowd that no matter the outcome of the games would watch it for the athelticism like in wrestling.

And obviously that will never happen!

If the NFL admitted the games were rigged, I'd never watch another NFL game again.

I don't think that games are generally "rigged" because otherwise a number of players, coaches, etc. would have broken the silence and made it public. It never works for everyone to shut up for such a long time.
But I do think that there are teams that are given preferential treatment. Be it like "Darling" Brady or the Rams after the relocation. They had to fuel LA as a market at all costs. Unfortunately, we were the ones to suffer back then. But at least it was nice to see that that didn't help them in retrospect. Of course it was only a very small consolation for us.
In any case, the NFL only turns in the right direction when Goodell is gone. Until then there won't be such disasters as we experienced in the NFC Championship Game - at least I think (hope) so - but here and there questionable things will happen again. But completely "rigged"? No I don't think so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom