Would you support a theme park... (1 Viewer)

Lee Newell

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
...being built in Jefferson Parish? The reason I ask is simple. It seems that SFNO will not ever re-open. This area has proven that it can support a theme park. SFNO's last two seasons before Katrina were very successful. Our kids and coaster euthusiasts alike that live in this area want a theme park to call our own.

When Jazzland first opened, they had an initial successful first season. "Mega Zeph" was the signature coaster and a very good woodie! As time went on, attendence started to dwindle because it was just too hot. There were no shade areas or cool zones. The park was rushed together and not much theming went into it. A company named Alfa, Alfa (Alfa Smartparks) ran Jazzland very poorly. They later went under and Six Flags stepped in and renamed the park. I knew this was a bad idea because their bottomline was negative 1 billion or so dollars. Now, they want out.

SFNO is now on the chopping block as the Mayor has stated he has no plans to re-open SFNO. I saw this coming a mile away even before Katrina. SFI made money off of SFNO the last two seasons after they put in "Batman the Ride" and "Jester." They claimed to have invested $25 million to improve the park. There's no way they spent that much because both of the coasters that they brought in were refurbished and or used. They put fresh coats of paint on buildings, rides, and put their signature Looney Tunes characters everywhere along with the Justice League. After Katrina, they went in and removed Batman the Ride and shipped it to their sister park in San Antonio. When that happened, the writing was on the wall. The company has too much debt and their stock holders are letting them know about it.

The key to building a successful theme park is to have the right developer and the perfect collection of great traditional flat rides and theming. You have to have that signature coaster to compliment the whole park just like the "Zephur" was to Pontchartrain Beach back in the day. Most theme parks of today start out with a least 3 coasters, which is standard. We would have to find a location that could facilitate mass expansion in Jefferson Parish. 180 acres would be an ideal size with plenty or trees to theme around.

I quess you are wondering why I started this post. If you have to ask, then you already answered my question. I am just tired of politicans in NOLA. I say we get a developer to come in and build a new theme park in Jefferson and build it right. Have plenty of trees and shady areas along with great themeing. It can be done. The question is, will you support it?

I think New Orleans and maybe La. has a bad rep when it comes to business sense and maybe that reflects its politics as well. Not to get on my pedestal but the hornets lease deal was a bad move IMHO. Blanco really gave up the farm too much and really was I think, niave to expect Shinn to stay here with a deal that really was one sided and not fair. she did not get the best out of the deal In my view. I hate the way La. gets a view of being too populist for its own good sometimes, it has that tradition with Huey long and his antics, its true but big businesses get the idea that we are either too corrupt or too in your pockets to get anything done.

I wish we could be like Houston or Dallas where we had responsible leaders or at least on the surface make it more common to grow as a city and not tolerate corruption. I mean for God's sake we elected Edwin Edwards again and again and he was quite open about his corrupt behavior as our Governor.

Just my two cents on the matter

i don't see how a theme park could fail in orleans parish and yet be successful a few miles down the road.....

and where in JP would house a theme park???

i don't see how a theme park could fail in orleans parish and yet be successful a few miles down the road.....

That's just it. The park didn't fail. It made money. The problem is Six Flags. They were in deep debt when they assumed control of SFNO. Now, they are asked to put the park back together and they are waiting on their insurance to pay off. SFI has changed ownership at the top. Daniel Snyder(Redskins owner) has took over SFI. Since he has, he's sold off parks all over the world. He dumped the European market and sold some of the parks here in the U.S.A.

Look at what happened to Astroworld. They were making plenty of money to re-locate to some other part of Houston, but they decided to close permanately. He broke them up, sold a lot of the rides, re-located some of the coasters to other parks, and closed the gates. The Reliant people ran them out with the help of the city and the Houston Texans.

There's plenty of areas that could be developed in Jefferson Parish. There's a nice location in Harvey, near the canal that's undeveloped. There's another big plot of land in Marrero, just below Ames Blvd. There are plenty more over there. The Eastbank would be more of a challenge, though. There are places to be found if you looked hard enough.

If they want to make a theme park, make it a waterpark ala Schlitterbahn or Water World. I got to go to Water World one summer as a kid, and that tube ride was the best thing evah!

Not only that, but it would be something for parents to do with their kids when they come to the city, and the locals would love a place like that.

Look at what happened to Astroworld. They were making plenty of money to re-locate to some other part of Houston, but they decided to close permanately. He broke them up, sold a lot of the rides, re-located some of the coasters to other parks, and closed the gates. The Reliant people ran them out with the help of the city and the Houston Texans.

In all fairness to Mr. Snyder, closing Astroworld was a good business decision, albeit a very unpopular one.

The Reliant people were going to charge them way too much for parking, and the land that the park was located on was worth too much money on the open market.

In all fairness to Mr. Snyder, closing Astroworld was a good business decision, albeit a very unpopular one.

The Reliant people were going to charge them way too much for parking, and the land that the park was located on was worth too much money on the open market.

Ok. Whart are they doing with the property now? Nothing! It's just a big field of nothingness out there. They even had complaints about the grass growing too high last year. So I guess they are making more money now off of it being empty with no tenants. Great business decision. You sound exactly like the people in the city council in NOLA.

There were plenty of other areas around Houston to re-locate Astroworld? I know why they didn't re-locate it. It was going to cost too much money to buy the land and prep it for a theme park. SF wanted the city to front 80 million dollars to re-locate but the city said no. The city really soured on SF in general. I don't know what happened to their relationship, but it went south real fast.

Mr. Snyder has one goal in mind only. His mission is to not pay off SFI's massive debt, but to raise the stock of the company so the wall street fat cats can make money. They don't pay off their debt to raise the stock price, all he has to do is show profit margins every fiscal year to accomplish that. He's downsizing big time and releasing parks just to raise the stock price. They will probably never pay all that money back even in the long term. His goal is to make profits every year.

You must expand and spend money to sustain a successful theme park. He'll never pay that debt back in his lifetime for sure. It'll take 50 years for that company to have a surplus. They just don't have enough parks to cut into that debt in our lifetime. Like I said, his job is to raise the stock. SFI's stock is being bought up like it's candy right now because this guy is in charge now.

Last edited:
A) What is SFNO?

B) If you think it's a good idea, get some investors and open one up. The city needs more entrepreneurs right now.

Sorry. I should've clarified this a while back.
SFNO= Six Flags New Orleans
SFI= Six Flags Inc.

I would love to get some investors involved. I will get busy on my proposal.

Mr. Snyder has one goal in mind only. His mission is to not pay off SFI's massive debt, but to raise the stock of the company so the wall street fat cats can make money.

Isn't the job of ANY c.e.o. to raise the stock price, and make the company more valuable?

They just don't have enough parks to cut into that debt in our lifetime. Like I said, his job is to raise the stock. SFI's stock is being bought up like it's candy right now because this guy is in charge now.

From what I understand, that was the idea behind selling off the underperforming parks.....paying down some of the debt.

Take a good look at how Blue Bayou/Dixie Landings is doing right there outside of Baton Rouge.

That's a good stepping stone.

I miss Ponchatrain Beach terribly, so I was excited when Jazzland/Six Flags New Orleans opened, but was disappointed in how it was run, and wasn't surprised when it was left to rot after Katrina.

There was talk about building a waterpark on the LaSalle Tract next to the baseball stadium on Airline, but it was defeated because Six Flags wanted a chance to build one.

I love to see one -possibly on the old Jefferson Downs tract, if it hasn't been developed already- but it would have to be a water park/theme park combo.

The sticking point is you want to make tickets affordable for families, but also high quality enough that the park stays nice, and not like of Ponchatrain Beach looked during its final days.

Isn't the job of ANY c.e.o. to raise the stock price, and make the company more valuable?

Indirectly, yes, but it should not be their sole or primary focus. A CEO's job is to run the company profitably, in the short-term and long-term. Focusing on raising stock price has a tendency to give many CEO myopia.

A rising stock price should be a result of a well-run company, rather than a company being run with the intent of raising the stock price today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom