Would you take an immortality pill? (1 Viewer)

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I would if we got advanced enough to travel to other galaxies. You could travel throughout the universe mapping as you go. Being immortal would come in handy for that.

You could get shot into a black hole and see what is on the other side, or even if there is another side. I guess it could suck to get stuck in the middle of a black hole for eternity though.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
You could get shot into a black hole and see what is on the other side, or even if there is another side. I guess it could suck to get stuck in the middle of a black hole for eternity though.
I've heard a theory that black and white holes are connected and so if you go into a black hole you'll be spat out of a white hole.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Look man, I saw Highlander. It was literally a documentary about a bunch of immortal people chopping each other's heads off to win the prize of mortality. No need for hypotheticals. If dying is good enough for Christopher Lambert, it's certainly good enough for me.
Great movie. Clancy Brown was the perfect villlian. Sean Connery was also great in a supporting role.

Brad Mojo

Funkier than you.
Reaction score
Look man, I saw Highlander. It was literally a documentary about a bunch of immortal people chopping each other's heads off to win the prize of mortality. No need for hypotheticals. If dying is good enough for Christopher Lambert, it's certainly good enough for me.
Granted its been decades since I saw it, but I always wondered about the basic premise: A group of immortals...who try to kill each other off...to gain...immortality? Aren't they already immortal? Why can't they all just go be immortal on their own?

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just want my brain to be young again, until the end of my useful years

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• 629DE9F2-B8E5-45EA-9F6F-5BA4DFF09004.jpeg
    629DE9F2-B8E5-45EA-9F6F-5BA4DFF09004.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 7

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Only evil megalomaniacs want to live forever.

Then I guess I'm an evil megalomaniac. I mean, whatever life you have is better than not existing anymore. Maybe you would have to deal with the pain of losing loved ones. But, your loved ones would never have to deal with the pain of losing you.

Plus, evil megalomaniacs get the best cabins on space ships. Or, sometimes, have their own space ships. And sometimes they live on boats while waiting for their space ship to get built.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
Then I guess I'm an evil megalomaniac. I mean, whatever life you have is better than not existing anymore.
I mean, that's patently untrue. That's why we have debates about the moral and ethical implications of euthanasia.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Then I guess I'm an evil megalomaniac. I mean, whatever life you have is better than not existing anymore.
Well, as I said over in the "those that pray" thread, I think there's got to be something better than this life.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, that's patently untrue. That's why we have debates about the moral and ethical implications of euthanasia.

It's not patently untrue for me and the context of this question is personal. Others can choose to do whatever they want. But, for me, non-existence is always worse than existence.

Also, it obviously depends on the details. I mean, immortality could me that your consciousness is placed in a computer simulation. Or, it could me that you live forever, but you are brain dead. Or, it could me that due to some genetic mutation, your cells stop aging and you live like you are now forever. Frankly, I'd take any of those over non-existence. But, you can choose what you want.

Last edited:

CapitalCitySaint

99% Practice; 1% Theory
Reaction score
I just want my brain to be young again, until the end of my useful years
My brain is just fine plus I have a lot more wisdom and patience now. I'd like my 25 year old body back. No knee surgeries, no back problems. No acid reflux. Could eat anything I wanted at any time of day with zero issues. Didn't need reading glasses. No hangovers.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
I should note that I'm someone that has struggled with intense suicidal thoughts the last few years, so it's very easy to put myself in the headspace that not existing could be preferable to existing. I would assume more stable people may not feel the same way.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, as I said over in the "those that pray" thread, I think there's got to be something better than this life.

Well, I'm not qualified for the "those who pray" threads so to me, there is nothing other than this life. But, I can see how belief in an after life would really change how you view this questions. Of course, all atheists are evil megalomaniacs. So . . .

On a side note, if you are a believer, don't you basically believe you are immortal anyway? I mean, at least that your soul is immortal?

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I should note that I'm someone that has struggled with intense suicidal thoughts the last few years, so it's very easy to put myself in the headspace that not existing could be preferable to existing. I would assume more stable people may not feel the same way.

I'm not sure how stable I am, but I think it's an individual issue. And, I'm sure you have done this, but just in case you haven't, please get treatment for your thoughts about suicide.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm not qualified for the "those who pray" threads so to me, there is nothing other than this life. But, I can see how belief in an after life would really change how you view this questions. Of course, all atheists are evil megalomaniacs. So . . .

On a side note, if you are a believer, don't you basically believe you are immortal anyway? I mean, at least that your soul is immortal?
Yes, but this kind of question posed here clearly means on Earth in this life and current body

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom