Would you take an immortality pill? (1 Viewer)

Well, I'm not qualified for the "those who pray" threads so to me, there is nothing other than this life. But, I can see how belief in an after life would really change how you view this questions. Of course, all atheists are evil megalomaniacs. So . . .

On a side note, if you are a believer, don't you basically believe you are immortal anyway? I mean, at least that your soul is immortal?
Yes, but this kind of question posed here clearly means on Earth in this life and current body

Yes, but this kind of question posed here clearly means on Earth in this life and current body
Sure. Just saying that how you view living forever on this planet in your corporeal form will be very different if you think that you will live forever in an incorporeal form someplace else. I mean, the question becomes do you want to live forever in this crappy place or do you want to get out of here and go live someplace better forever?

For me the question is do you want to live forever in the crappy place or do you want to not exits?

Sure. Just saying that how you view living forever on this planet in your corporeal form will be very different if you think that you will live forever in an incorporeal form someplace else. I mean, the question becomes do you want to live forever in this crappy place or do you want to get out of here and go live someplace better forever?

For me the question is do you want to live forever in the crappy place or do you want to not exits?
Oh, I get that you are looking at the question entirely differently,

I would opt for a weekly RORER 714 instead.

Well, I'm not qualified for the "those who pray" threads so to me, there is nothing other than this life. But, I can see how belief in an after life would really change how you view this questions. Of course, all atheists are evil megalomaniacs. So . . .

On a side note, if you are a believer, don't you basically believe you are immortal anyway? I mean, at least that your soul is immortal?

I believe I will live forever, but like you say, not in this body. I believe I will be given a new body and eventually, God will remake the earth destroying sin and death.

I have to take that into account on how I answer the question of living forever in this body in this world, and after doing so, no thanks.

It's not patently untrue for me and the context of this question is personal. Others can choose to do whatever they want. But, for me, non-existence is always worse than existence.

Also, it obviously depends on the details. I mean, immortality could me that your consciousness is placed in a computer simulation. Or, it could me that you live forever, but you are brain dead. Or, it could me that due to some genetic mutation, your cells stop aging and you live like you are now forever. Frankly, I'd take any of those over non-existence. But, you can choose what you want.

Something like the Framework in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D would be interesting to me as a way of "living" beyond our years or not having to deal with the aging body issue.

I'd actually love to live a lot longer. Would be cool to see how tech continues to change society and I would love to do some space travel and not have to worry about living long enough to explore the more distant reaches of the universe.

Don't want to watch my children die, so no. My religion doesn't teach an immortal soul. I believe when I die, it will be like a deep sleep that only God can wake me up from.

I've yet to figure out what makes existence this thing we should maintain; something we should fight for no matter what.

As with most everything, humans have a bias towards things we partake in. If you like to fish, then you see nothing wrong with it. If she likes her coffee black w/no sugar, then she thinks that's the best way to drink coffee.

Because we live life - we inflate the importance of it. Because life is ours, we can't look at it objectively. Like not being able to call your own kids ugly or dumb, but being able to make remarks about someone else's kids with ease.

Of the 100 billion 'existences' that have roamed this earth, there's no way most of those lives were special, sacred, precious or worth living. What are the odds of 100 billion anything being alike? 50 billion? 10 billion?

It's like 100 billion blades of grass. Tell yourself each one is special and precious and shouldn't be cut. But what would be the point of saying that?

I should note that I'm someone that has struggled with intense suicidal thoughts the last few years, so it's very easy to put myself in the headspace that not existing could be preferable to existing. I would assume more stable people may not feel the same way.
Wanting to leave the party doesn't make you unstable. Not to me.

Essentially, someone dropped all of us off at this gathering, told us we had to stay here approximately 78 years, we must think of the gathering as a precious gift and if we ever entertain the idea of leaving on our own - something must be wrong with us. Nope.

It's incredibly natural to want to leave places you didn't ask to be.

I'd take a pill to go Back to the Future, though, if I could change it.

Wait, does this mean you have already been to the future? How did you get stuck back here with us pastlings?
I wish I knew. I need to get out of this time warp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom