Would you take an immortality pill? (2 Viewers)

Some things to consider

Many have already mentioned friends and family - no need to rehash that

Can you choose to go back to your peak physical self - say 25 years old or are you as you are when you take it?

Can you gain or lose weight?

Is this pill available and many have taken it or are you the only one? And if you're the only one is it a secret or does the whole world know it?

An important question - Are you Superman or are you Wolverine?

If someone shoots you in the gut will you be shot in the gut, feel all the pain of being shot in the gut, but heal in seconds?

Or like Superman will you say, "what was that?"

If you're on a flight that crashes in the middle of the Atlantic and the plane is on the bottom of the ocean and you're pinned what is that like for you?
What if you get burnt up but don't die. Lose all your limbs a la a chicken nugget. Go blind the day after you take it.

Or the apocalypse happens. You can't grow anything and there are no bugs to eat. The water evaporated. You are eternally parched and hungry.

If you stumble upon another immortal, they try to eat you. But not in a fun way.

What if you get burnt up but don't die. Lose all your limbs a la a chicken nugget. Go blind the day after you take it.

Or the apocalypse happens. You can't grow anything and there are no bugs to eat. The water evaporated. You are eternally parched and hungry.

If you stumble upon another immortal, they try to eat you. But not in a fun way.
I see you've given this some thought. :scratch:

Of course Kizz, now I'll be keeping my distance. :hihi:

It sounds as if this pill would somehow cure cancer (and other diseases).

Imagine yourself in a doctor's office, sitting on the exam table. The doctor walks in and with as much bedside manner as he can muster he says, "You need to go home and get your affairs in order." Would that change your mind? Death has suddenly become your imminent companion and, regardless of your beliefs, you don't want to die...yet.

There is a strange thing about the prospect - you're not scared of going but you're scared to leave. You start thinking about those around you, how your departure would change their lives. How you would miss out on some of life's important events where your loved ones are concerned. You have no desire to set all of that in motion and it stays in your thoughts as the days come and go. It's not about going, it's about leaving.

Having this thought process in place would leave me somewhat in the "taking the pill" category and somewhat outside of it. I agree with those who say, "take it until I don't want to anymore", but I also don't know (outside of the ability to travel intergalactically) that I would just take the pill on general principle.

The original question leaves us wide open to conjecture about the conditions the pill takes care of. If we all wanted to be at the state where we were "living our best life" we'd honestly have to take something from each chapter of our lives. If we wanted to be in a state where we could correct something in our past the same is true. It is no surprise we're seeing everyone apply conditions to taking the pill. If I could do either of the things I have stated here I would again agree with those who say, "take it until I don't want to anymore".

But if the pill is a take once, get the full effects I just don't know. I'd have to think about it much less casually than I am doing here. Then it becomes the Schroedinger's Cat of pills.

It sounds as if this pill would somehow cure cancer (and other diseases).

Imagine yourself in a doctor's office, sitting on the exam table. The doctor walks in and with as much bedside manner as he can muster he says, "You need to go home and get your affairs in order." Would that change your mind? Death has suddenly become your imminent companion and, regardless of your beliefs, you don't want to die...yet.

There is a strange thing about the prospect - you're not scared of going but you're scared to leave. You start thinking about those around you, how your departure would change their lives. How you would miss out on some of life's important events where your loved ones are concerned. You have no desire to set all of that in motion and it stays in your thoughts as the days come and go. It's not about going, it's about leaving.

Having this thought process in place would leave me somewhat in the "taking the pill" category and somewhat outside of it. I agree with those who say, "take it until I don't want to anymore", but I also don't know (outside of the ability to travel intergalactically) that I would just take the pill on general principle.

The original question leaves us wide open to conjecture about the conditions the pill takes care of. If we all wanted to be at the state where we were "living our best life" we'd honestly have to take something from each chapter of our lives. If we wanted to be in a state where we could correct something in our past the same is true. It is no surprise we're seeing everyone apply conditions to taking the pill. If I could do either of the things I have stated here I would again agree with those who say, "take it until I don't want to anymore".

But if the pill is a take once, get the full effects I just don't know. I'd have to think about it much less casually than I am doing here. Then it becomes the Schroedinger's Cat of pills.
Of course you'd take the pill. Conscious existence is all we know, and folks aren't lining up to give up on tomorrow. For the most part humans have a desire to live, and generally things have to get pretty bad before a sound mind would want to willingly give up on life. When the alternative is non-existence, it seems reasonable that most people would take that pill now and worry about any possible ramifications later.

Of course you'd take the pill. Conscious existence is all we know, and folks aren't lining up to give up on tomorrow. For the most part humans have a desire to live, and generally things have to get pretty bad before a sound mind would want to willingly give up on life. When the alternative is non-existence, it seems reasonable that most people would take that pill now and worry about any possible ramifications later.
I think that's one of the saddest phrases ever uttered. Not in the context of this thread, but in general.

As if imaginations don't exist.

Well, no, but I guess I dunno what you meant by wearing all the shoes.
I meant you'd have enough time to wear all of the shoes. If you wanted to.

I think that's one of the saddest phrases ever uttered. Not in the context of this thread, but in general.

Well, some do seem to enjoy a semi-conscious existence from time to time.

2 things
- I don’t think the ‘conscious’ statement undermines any additional type of awareness - even instinct, which is probably a priori, stands in partnership to consciousness on a human level
- maybe consciousness is just some brain chemistry trick so it doesn’t really matter

2 things
- I don’t think the ‘conscious’ statement undermines any additional type of awareness - even instinct, which is probably a priori, stands in partnership to consciousness on a human level
- maybe consciousness is just some brain chemistry trick so it doesn’t really matter
It was really the, "...all we know," that was sad to me. Whenever I hear that phrase it's almost always used as an explanation for ignorance. To me it's another way of saying, "He didn't know any better."

And I think of all the instances people use that phrase and they are sad.

Like we can only expect to be what we know. But that's not true.

(Just because everyone on your block works at the auto factory doesn't mean you can't be a pilot)

I’m 478 so from experience it’s not that bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom