Would you trade the #11 overall pick for an established player? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Say its draft day, you are Sean Payton, and some team comes calling with an interest in trading one of their best players for the Saints #11 pick. The player fills a a need, but is in that 27-29 age range. He has a contract that will keep him with the Saints for a while, but its not a cheap contract.

Knowing that you are building with a window open only as long as Brees is here, would you make that trade, or is the draft pick too valuable?

A bit too fluid to really make a call. I feel like any player who is worth that pick is a player we'd have to pay more than just #11 for.

If the stars aligned for a premier passrusher or corner, sure.

Wouldn't do it for an offensive player just cause of the needs on the Defensive side of the ball but even then it would have to be for a top notch player with no injury history. Five names come to mind:
1. Von Miller
2. Khalil Mack
3. Robert Quinn
4. Bobby Wagner
5. Patrick Peterson

JJ Watt and Luke Keuchly would make the list if they hadn't had the recent injuries.

Just looking at those names I don't believe there's any chance that they get traded but to answer your question this is the type of player I'd do it for.

I'm not sure who we would trade for that would be lightyears ahead of the players we would have already signed in free agency or would draft at 11. Who are you envisioning? Luke Kuechly is probably the only guy I'd consider, but it would never happen.

Depends.

If Ruben Foster is there you take Foster.
If Leonard Fournette is there you take him.
Then it depends on who this "established player" is.

If Panthers pass on LF and he drops to 11 we have to take him. And if we take him we may get trade offers for Ingram. You wouldn't believe how many teams contacted the Cowboys about trading for Alfred Morris.

My concerns about trades anywhere close to the draft is that trade value gets most out of alignment with true value the closer you get to the day of the draft.

Some teams are able to take advantage of the misalignment like the Patriots. The Saints haven't been able to negotiate value historically.

Say its draft day, you are Sean Payton, and some team comes calling with an interest in trading one of their best players for the Saints #11 pick. The player fills a a need, but is in that 27-29 age range. He has a contract that will keep him with the Saints for a while, but its not a cheap contract.

Knowing that you are building with a window open only as long as Brees is here, would you make that trade, or is the draft pick too valuable?

Depends on the player. Hard to answer the question without knowing that.

Depends.

If Ruben Foster is there you take Foster.
If Leonard Fournette is there you take him.
Then it depends on who this "established player" is.

If Panthers pass on LF and he drops to 11 we have to take him. And if we take him we may get trade offers for Ingram. You wouldn't believe how many teams contacted the Cowboys about trading for Alfred Morris.

Depends on the player being offered. I would not automatically take Foster (not a huge fan) or LF (luxury) without hearing the offer.

The draft pick is to valuable to lose since we are rebuilding

Yes,I would do it. To get a 27 year old stud edge rusher or shut down corner with the #11 pick would be a steal,imo. The draft is a hit or miss proposition to begin with.

No. I wouldn't.

An established player (if GOOD) is going to command a salary a young draftee can't even get close too. Better to get the cheap (healthy) youth. Five years of cheap.

It's not like we have $100 million of cap available.

Could you go in confident that the player trying to be unloaded wasn't damaged goods in some way ? Draft day don't leave much time to give him a good going over....

Unless its Aaron Rodgers, no way. Teams are building through the draft, as are we the past 2 years. If they're getting rid of said player, there's got to be a reason why they don't want him over a 1st round pick.

I think we've been BURNED... and LEARNED from the recent past. We've gone into hock for some "can't miss studs" who ate up cap money while delivering very little bang for our buck:

Just a few to remember:

* Brandon Browner: 3 yr/$18M
* Junior Galette: 4yr/$41.5M (restructured final year to a $12M signing bonus)
* Jairus Byrd: 6yr/$56M ($28M guaranteed)
* C.J. Spiller: 4yr/$18M ($9M guaranteed; $5M signing bonus)
* Coby Fleener: 5yr/$36M ($18M guaranteed; $8M signing bonus)

Yes, the way to do it is through the draft. As a few others have said, if a top-notch veteran was only worth a high draft pick... is he really top-notch?

From time-to-time it DOES happen that you luck-up, but most of the time, it's a crap shoot.

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom