Would you make the trade?

• Yes

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 82 82.0%
  • Tacos? Tacoes?

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
I really doesn't matter how many picks you have, what matters is getting the right players. If you ever go back and research previous drafts, most teams only have 1-2 players still on the roster 6 years later.

2009 NFL Draft Revisited - CBSSports.com

Take a look at the draft from 2009. 4 seasons later only a hand full of teams have 2 or more players starting on their rosters.

I bet if you did a study on how many picks per round were still starting in the NFL 5 years later, it would look something like:

1st -50%
2nd & 3rd - 20%
And after the 3rd round probably about 10%

This is the 3rd round of the 2009 draft, of this group only 3 players will start for the team that drafted him just 5 seasons later (Michael Johnson, DeAndre Levy & Ladarius Webb)

Lol

Mike Wallace
Keenan Allen
Jared Cook
Derek Cox
Will all start, just off the top of my head. Others players, like Shon Greene and Terrance Knighton will be contributors.

It's very disingenuous to put the qualifier "for the team that drafted him" in there. All of the teams that drafted the above players both 1) already got their value for their draft pick and 2) in most cases would have preferred to retain the player if they could have

Keenan Lewis 3rd
Jahri Evans 4th
Lofton 2nd
Greer undrafted
Galette undrafted
Thomas undrafted
Shanle 7th
Bree's 2nd
Ivory ufa
Colston 7th

I think you get my point he doesn't have to be a first to produce. IMO we have a horrible track record in the 1st to begin with. I say we give away the first pick and stack up 2nd and 3rds.

The mistake in your thinking is not that NFL teams should have seen the talent before the combine. You are correct.

The mistake is in thinking that a bunch of mock drafts in any way represent the thinking of NFL teams.

Just because he "rose" in a bunch of group think oriented mock drafts does not imply any change of thinking amongst NFL teams. Often times players "rise" in mock drafts because it becomes apparent during the evaluation process (combine interviews, pro day attendence, private workouts, simple idle chatter) that some teams think better or worse about players than the mock draft community realized. Someone picks up on that, makes a "bold mock draft", and group think follows.

The movements of players in mock drafts should not be considered indicative of the evaluation process of NFL teams

So are you saying he won't go top 10? Mocks are about as accurate as the average NCAA tourney bracket, but I think its pretty much a given he'll go earlier than 15. There is a massive gap in talent between the top three LT's and the rest of the field and there are a few teams up there targeting LT's.

Really? Ur kidding, right? :smilielol:

So much emphasis has been placed on the offense over the years, that the "D" has sadly suffered. That 15th pick in the 1st rd should (and needs to) be on defense. One strategy I might like, would be to trade down and get an extra pick or two. :9:

No. We have so picks in this draft and have had so few picks in the drafts over the last four years that it is not an option. If anything, we need to trade down.

I don't mind the trade up philosophy as it seemed the front office cared more about perceived quality over quantity - limited slots and many draftees don't make the team, so target fewer, rather than shotgun shoot. Also, we are pretty aggressive in free agency.

It was going to catch up to us, but probably didn't think it would be this extreme. Two big reasons for the extremity was the Ingram trade up and picks taken by the Goodell Bounty Farce. In the Ingram case, we had just come off the tough loss to Seattle with a bunch of backs off the street.

This year, we need to take the medicine and maximize the few picks we have. Trading down wouldn't be bad, but that is difficult to pull off and requires a hot commodity for another team to drop to us.

So are you saying he won't go top 10?

What? How did anything I wrote imply that?

What I'm saying is that if Mayock has a player ranked 30th in December and top 10 in March, you shouldn't just assume that NFL teams suddenly decided he is a top 10 draft pick, but rather, more likely, that as Mayock or others observe the evaluation process post-Super Bowl and talk to NFL people, they realize teams like those players more than they thought.

Both Bushrod and Usama Young are good examples. Both seemingly "came out of nowhere" and yet after the fact we learn that in fact due to connections the Saints were in on them well before the season ended. Usama young didnt even get invited to the NFL combine as no team put him on their "list" of players they'd like invited, then over a dozen teams show up to his pro day. They tried to hide him and still couldn't.

The NFL is well aware of who and where these players are generally. As you would expect in a process that rewards discretion and secrecy, the media and fans trail the professionals.

Here's a good thread on Usama Young.
adopt a prospect/ Usama Young - New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Draft watchers and mocks ignored him. He was going to be an UDFA. He didnt even get a combine invite.

Then he has a great pro day and suddenly, oh he's moving up draft boards! 3rd round late 2nd round pick!

He didnt "move up" anything. Numerous teams had private workouts before his pro day. He had numerous others scheduled after. Over a dozen teams showed up for the pro day. He was a four year starter. They all knew. We just didnt catch on.

What? How did anything I wrote imply that?

What I'm saying is that if Mayock has a player ranked 30th in December and top 10 in March, you shouldn't just assume that NFL teams suddenly decided he is a top 10 draft pick, but rather, more likely, that as Mayock or others observe the evaluation process post-Super Bowl and talk to NFL people, they realize teams like those players more than they thought.

Your comment (I hope) is pretty obvious to most, but it might imply that NFL scouts saw LJ as a top 10 talent months ago in spite of early mocks and I don't think you truly believe that is the case.

He benefitted from post season workouts and all star games. Others ahead of him did poorly and he did well. It really doesn't change the player that he is - I agree. That said, if the draft were held in January, he is not going top 10.

I wouldn't be upset if we got him, provided we do not trade up. He just needs to be coached up for a year or two and I'm not sure we have the luxury of waiting.

No way. We already don't have a 2nd rounder. We really need to address this need in free agency in the first place. We have gotten by with average tackles in the past. We really need to focus on finding an elite defensive player in the first round.

I would only trade up to get a LT or Millner, IF we had more picks to play with. We don't, so I would say no.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom