• Yes

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 82 82.0%
  • Tacos? Tacoes?

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
No....he was already a round 1 talent....his combine just helped escalate him

He looked better up close than he probably did on film. It happens a lot actually...that's why Eric fisher jumped up draft boards too

Lane Johnson can be a good tackle in the league as long as he keeps getting stronger....some people consider him to have a higher ceiling than joeckel and fisher too

He has some downsides...but so does every other pick in the draft

No disagreements here. I'd add that he probably benefitted more from guys like Jones, Lotulelei, Barkley, Werner etc... tanking the way they did. Combine heroes scare me. I guess this is why I have an issue with trading up for him. Heck, I have an issue trading up - period.

I don't see any way the Saints trade up for a combine hero that plays a position we don't value highly.

Most I can see us doing is trading up in the mid-rounds for a tackle we like.

Trade down for more picks.

Lane Johnson kinda scares me. He was barely a first rounder before the combine, now he's top ten just cause he ran fast?

Pass.

Lane Johnson's name started to climb the charts at the Senior Bowl. He dominated the week of practice and played very well in the game. I have also heard at least one team (rumored to be Detroit) has him ahead of Fisher and he is in play at pick 5 (if you google Lane Johnson Detroit lions there are some articles from Detriot Free press amongst others). Coincidently Detroit's staff did the coaching of his team at the Senior Bowl, so that is were his stock started rising, I hear they really like him.

He improved his stock at the combine in interviews, and in position drills. I do not think the 40 for an olineman improved his stock a great deal, but it did show off his athleticism. But his stock was already on the rise.

Let me lay out a draft day trade scenario that I used using the NFL Draft Value Chart from Walters Football (Walters Football Site: NFL Draft Value Chart) as a guide on realistic draft pick trades.

Suppose picks 10 or 11 roll around and Lane Johnson is still on the board (conventional wisdom would say that San Diego at 11 would be the obvious suitors of Lane's talents) - would you trade:

Saints 1st Round Pick (valued at 1050)

And

Saints 3rd Round Pick (valued at 195)

For

Tennessee 1st Round Pick (1300) or San Diego 1st Round Pick (1250) (note: it might would require our 5th round pick from this year or next year in order to make the deal work perfectly)

in order to move up and take a pretty sure-fire player to play LT for at least the next 4 years?

I have to be honest with myself - with the Saints' draft history under Loomis, it just seems a lot more likely that we move up in order to take a player that we really want than we are to stick around and someone else make a move to trade for our pick.

This is a different year, where we have obvious needs and only 5 picks. So I dont see us using any of this years picks to move up. IMO, if we move up, we'll have to use one of next years picks. I hope we dont, but in the end, that'll be the FOs call.

Personally, Im ready to go to "Plan B" for a LT: Sign a FA and draft one in the mid rds.

You do realize what this poll means don't you? The Saints WILL TRADE UP!!!! AAAAAAAaaaarrrrrrrrgggggg!!!!

I don't mind if the Saints trade back, but I'm going to blow a gasket if they trade up. They have only 5 picks as it is.

I really doesn't matter how many picks you have, what matters is getting the right players. If you ever go back and research previous drafts, most teams only have 1-2 players still on the roster 6 years later.

2009 NFL Draft Revisited - CBSSports.com

Take a look at the draft from 2009. 4 seasons later only a hand full of teams have 2 or more players starting on their rosters.

I bet if you did a study on how many picks per round were still starting in the NFL 5 years later, it would look something like:

1st -50%
2nd & 3rd - 20%
And after the 3rd round probably about 10%

This is the 3rd round of the 2009 draft, of this group only 3 players will start for the team that drafted him just 5 seasons later (Michael Johnson, DeAndre Levy & Ladarius Webb)

<table class="grid"><tbody><tr><th>Pick #</th> <th>NFL Team</th> <th>Player</th> </tr> <tr> <td>1</td> <td>NYJ</td> <td>Greene, Shonn, RB, Iowa</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2</td> <td>STL</td> <td>Fletcher, Bradley, DB, Iowa</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3</td> <td>KC</td> <td>Magee, Alex, DT, Purdue</td> </tr> <tr> <td>4</td> <td>CHI</td> <td>Gilbert, Jarron, DE, San Jose State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td>DAL</td> <td>Williams, Jason, OLB, Western Illinois</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6</td> <td>CIN</td> <td>Johnson, Michael, DE, Georgia Tech</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7</td> <td>OAK</td> <td>Shaughnessy, Matt, DE, Wisconsin</td> </tr> <tr> <td>8</td> <td>JAX</td> <td>Knighton, Terrance, DT, Temple</td> </tr> <tr> <td>9</td> <td>JAX</td> <td>Cox, Derek, CB, William & Mary</td> </tr> <tr> <td>10</td> <td>SF</td> <td>Coffee, Glen, RB, Alabama</td> </tr> <tr> <td>11</td> <td>DAL</td> <td>Brewster, Robert, OT, Ball State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>12</td> <td>DET</td> <td>Levy, DeAndre, OLB, Wisconsin</td> </tr> <tr> <td>13</td> <td>HOU</td> <td>Caldwell, Antoine, OG, Alabama</td> </tr> <tr> <td>14</td> <td>SD</td> <td>Vasquez, Louis, OG, Texas Tech</td> </tr> <tr> <td>15</td> <td>PIT</td> <td>Urbik, Kraig, OT, Wisconsin</td> </tr> <tr> <td>16</td> <td>WAS</td> <td>Barnes, Kevin, CB, Maryland</td> </tr> <tr> <td>17</td> <td>TB</td> <td>Miller, Roy, DT, Texas</td> </tr> <tr> <td>18</td> <td>DET</td> <td>Williams, Derrick, WR, Penn State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>19</td> <td>NE</td> <td>Tate, Brandon, WR, North Carolina</td> </tr> <tr> <td>20</td> <td>PIT</td> <td>Wallace, Mike, WR, Mississippi</td> </tr> <tr> <td>21</td> <td>NYG</td> <td>Barden, Ramses, WR, Cal Poly</td> </tr> <tr> <td>22</td> <td>MIN</td> <td>Allen, Asher, CB, Georgia</td> </tr> <tr> <td>23</td> <td>MIA</td> <td>Turner, Patrick, WR, Southern Cal</td> </tr> <tr> <td>24</td> <td>BAL</td> <td>Webb, Lardarius, CB, Nicholls State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>25</td> <td>TEN</td> <td>Cook, Jared, TE, South Carolina</td> </tr> <tr> <td>26</td> <td>ATL</td> <td>Owens, Christopher, CB, San Jose State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>27</td> <td>SEA</td> <td>Butler, Deon, WR, Penn State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>28</td> <td>IND</td> <td>Powers, Jerraud, CB, Auburn</td> </tr> <tr> <td>29</td> <td>CAR</td> <td>Irvin, Corvey, DL, Georgia</td> </tr> <tr> <td>30</td> <td>TEN</td> <td>Mouton, Ryan, CB, Hawaii</td> </tr> <tr> <td>31</td> <td>ARI</td> <td>Johnson, Rashad, S, Alabama</td> </tr> <tr> <td>32</td> <td>PIT</td> <td>Lewis, Keenan, CB, Oregon State</td> </tr> <tr> <td>33</td> <td>NE</td> <td>McKenzie, Tyrone, OLB, South Florida</td> </tr> <tr> <td>34</td> <td>CIN</td> <td>Coffman, Chase, TE, Missouri</td> </tr> <tr> <td>35</td> <td>CHI</td> <td>Iglesias, Juaquin, WR, Oklahoma</td> </tr> <tr> <td>36</td> <td>NYG</td> <td>Beckum, Travis, TE, Wisconsin</td></tr></tbody></table>

Absolutely not. First, with Brees' contract gutting our salary cap, we need to fill the roster with players getting rookie scale salaries or we must bargain hunt in free agency. We need cheap bodies who can make the roster. The best way to get those is in the draft. The smart move is to trade down to get more picks and hope we hit on some of those and can release more expensive veterans.

Second, the Saints track record with first round picks under Payton/Loomis is not good. Jenkins and Ingram were both reaches and haven't played to first round levels. The Saints do better with later round picks, so stock up on those. We need Graham and Colston type players earning 3rd to 7th round rookie salaries. If anyone can find those it is Payton and the Saints' scouts.

Third, LT is not as critical a position when Brees is your QB. He is excellent at getting the ball out quickly and sliding in the pocket to avoid pressure. Brees can function fine with an average LT.

Actually, the vast majority of starting players in the NFL came into the league through the draft. Here is a statistical analysis of what the average team can expect from an 8 player draft class (assumes 1 comp pick):

7 of the 8 will play in the NFL
5 of the 8 will play at least three years
4 of the 8 will play at least 5 years
2.5 will start for at least 3 years

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/draft101.pdf

So, if we had 8 picks this year, we could get 7 cheap players on the roster and might get 2 - 3 starters out of that haul. That would help ease the constraints that Brees' contract is putting on our salary cap.

Lane Johnson kinda scares me. He was barely a first rounder before the combine, now he's top ten just cause he ran fast?

Pass.

The mistake in your thinking is not that NFL teams should have seen the talent before the combine. You are correct.

The mistake is in thinking that a bunch of mock drafts in any way represent the thinking of NFL teams.

Just because he "rose" in a bunch of group think oriented mock drafts does not imply any change of thinking amongst NFL teams. Often times players "rise" in mock drafts because it becomes apparent during the evaluation process (combine interviews, pro day attendence, private workouts, simple idle chatter) that some teams think better or worse about players than the mock draft community realized. Someone picks up on that, makes a "bold mock draft", and group think follows.

The movements of players in mock drafts should not be considered indicative of the evaluation process of NFL teams

No trading away draft picks. We need to be building through the draft instead of chasing 30 something vets who were good 3 years ago in FA. Good teams don't do that.

Tackle is pretty stacked this year, let another team take our pick @15. This still gives us a chance for Mingo/Jarvis. We also land a LT in the second, DT in the third and We can BPA the rest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom