Would You Work Remotely from a Caribbean Beach? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think that this is a genius move by the Barbados marketing department… Absolutely genius, and I’d like to shake hands with the person who came up with this, or at least give them an elbow bump with a mask on.. I’ve actually been looking into retirement destinations for the last few years, places where if you retire early, like in your 50s, they’ll give you a permanent visa, and incentivize you to live there… This is basically a version of that, but for a duration of one year, and for workers who have the flexibility to work remotely from home.. The only concern I’d have is that, while ive never been to Barbados, ive heard it’s the , ahem, least nice of the Caribbean islands.. but i still gotta think it’s nicer than Biloxi or something.

Yes.

Is this a trick question?

Haha.. not really.. just wondering if yall would go for this, considering there are a couple of downsides.. the visa costs $2k or $3k, and also the time zone is such that, if your remote job requires it- you might have to get up at 3 or 4am to be available.. that alone would probably be a dealbreaker for me.

The one puzzling thing for me ive seen in the comments is people who say ‘Only if my employer allows it’, which i dont get since if you’re working 100% remotely, what difference does it make to your employer if you live in Kansas City, or Maine, or Barbados - again, assuming you make yourself available during business hours.

The only concern I’d have is that, while ive never been to Barbados, ive heard it’s the , ahem, least nice of the Caribbean islands.. but i still gotta think it’s nicer than Biloxi or something.
Barbados is fine, actually its pretty awesome. Like most caribbean nations there are some really nice parts and there are some sketchy areas you just dont go into. I never slept ON the island because we either anchored out or stayed in a marina when we were there but there were some super nice resorts and nice areas of town.

Haha.. not really.. just wondering if yall would go for this, considering there are a couple of downsides.. the visa costs $2k or $3k, and also the time zone is such that, if your remote job requires it- you might have to get up at 3 or 4am to be available.. that alone would probably be a dealbreaker for me.

The one puzzling thing for me ive seen in the comments is people who say ‘Only if my employer allows it’, which i dont get since if you’re working 100% remotely, what difference does it make to your employer if you live in Kansas City, or Maine, or Barbados - again, assuming you make yourself available during business hours.

I've worked remotely for 3 out of 5 days a week for about 5 years now. It's part of the deal that I'm working from Atlanta. Sporadically I've got permission to work from New Orleans for a few days but, I have to tell them. If I'm needed on campus, they are under the impression I'm a phone call away. And though my job allows me to work from anyway with good internet, there are some things that require me in person. So I get that part. I would need to seek their permission to do this.

I've worked remotely for 3 out of 5 days a week for about 5 years now. It's part of the deal that I'm working from Atlanta. Sporadically I've got permission to work from New Orleans for a few days but, I have to tell them. If I'm needed on campus, they are under the impression I'm a phone call away. And though my job allows me to work from anyway with good internet, there are some things that require me in person. So I get that part. I would need to seek their permission to do this.

i hear you, but this program appears to be targeted towards workers who are 100% remote; it sounds like your job is partially remote, similar to how my jobs have been over the last 13 or 14 yrs.

I thought many times about doing this from Florida... but not in the current shape Florida is in. Would i do it from the Caribbean?? Uh yea!

i hear you, but this program appears to be targeted towards workers who are 100% remote; it sounds like your job is partially remote, similar to how my jobs have been over the last 13 or 14 yrs.

I'm 100% remote now with no plans to ever return. I still dont think I could make a decision like this without telling my employer. I'm just saying I could see the concern others may be having about deciding to do this.

1594835579021.jpeg

Me right now, South Texas to get ready to leave the Covid States of America

Last edited:
what are the restrictions working out of barbados remotely? i know in most countries, unless a citizen or special work visa, you can't work for a business internationally.

we have this problem at work. we currently have a lot of employees caught in vacation, stranded overseas (close to the airline restrictions), who basically have no choice but to take std or ltd before being able to return to the us.

india and sri lanka as examples.

This is the one thing I can't do in my job. I am not allowed to take my laptop outside the U.S. Otherwise I'd be in México right now.

I'm 100% remote now with no plans to ever return. I still dont think I could make a decision like this without telling my employer. I'm just saying I could see the concern others may be having about deciding to do this.

I’m not suggesting ‘not telling your employer’.. I’m saying definitely let your employer know you’ll be relocating to Barbados for a year (possibly longer).. Then to me that is resolved, you would have to let your employer know anyway, if for no other reason than HR stuff, paperwork, taxes etc.. Now, if my employer comes back and says ‘No dice’, then we’d have a problem.. Again, i cant see an employer having an issue with it, as long as you are working 100% remotely anyway, and are available during the times you’re needed and are not costing them any additional money... Unless of course, you’re easily replaceable.. but then why would any company choose to replace a ‘virtual’ employee who’s in Barbados instead of, say, Chalmette, if they are 100% remote anyway?

This is the one thing I can't do in my job. I am not allowed to take my laptop outside the U.S. Otherwise I'd be in México right now.

Thats an interesting policy.. Still, there are lots of cool places in the US you could do your job! Hawaii , anyone? Or Bozeman.. For me, it’d probably be Siesta Key or Naples... I’m not 100% remote though, and have never been, though i worked from home for a long time, still had to visit customers often.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom