Wouldn't this be a perfect time to change our defensive scheme? (1 Viewer)

I think changing our scheme could greatly improve the defense if we change to the right scheme, I don't think we have the players to do a 3-4.

But I am tired of the first time start QBs haveing great games against us

I think changing our scheme could greatly improve the defense if we change to the right scheme, I don't think we have the players to do a 3-4.

But I am tired of the first time start QBs haveing great games against us

We don't have the personnel for a 4-3, either. I think it comes down to which is easier, finding 2 linebackers and a 3-tech DT or finding four linebackers?

we won't know for sure which is easier until we see what is available to us in FA. Maybe moving some players on the Defense around could make a difference? Maybe Grant could be effective on the inside of the line more than he is on the outside for example.

Conrad is right we have five players worth keeping on defense--and McKenzie now has the knee surgery question (it was that type of season--though New England has great talent, it seems the Pats have stayed absurdly healthy this year).

With going to a 3-4, the question is Will Smith. He probably is not big enough to play a 3-4end--and a team does not want to invest so much cap room in two 3-4 ends. Can he lose weight, get faster and play a 3-4 outside linebacker spot? I don't. If he can't and we keep Will Smith, then the 3-4 makes little sense.

As far as a cover two, that's an interesting question. Our personnel might be better suited for that defense, and it seems easier to find cover two cornerbacks than the man-to-man guys we favor.

I'd like a defensive scheme that can stop the other team on 3rd and 26.
I'd like a defensive scheme that can sack the opposing quarterback once in a while without blitzing.
I'd like a defensive scheme that didn't allow quarterbacks with little or no experience to pass for 340 yards.
I'd lke a defensive scheme that occasionally produces a turnover.

amen brother. 3rd and long made me cringe everytime because I knew what was coming. at least sometimes on 3rd and short they would run the ball.

Conrad is right we have five players worth keeping on defense--and McKenzie now has the knee surgery question (it was that type of season--though New England has great talent, it seems the Pats have stayed absurdly healthy this year).

With going to a 3-4, the question is Will Smith. He probably is not big enough to play a 3-4end--and a team does not want to invest so much cap room in two 3-4 ends. Can he lose weight, get faster and play a 3-4 outside linebacker spot? I don't. If he can't and we keep Will Smith, then the 3-4 makes little sense.

As far as a cover two, that's an interesting question. Our personnel might be better suited for that defense, and it seems easier to find cover two cornerbacks than the man-to-man guys we favor.

For a consistent cover-2, we'd need entirely new linebackers. None of ours are fast enough, even Fujita.

I guess maybe the Dome Patrol days spoiled me but I LOVE the 3-4. I think it is the best defense because it allows for so many options. I hope we one day we return to this.

I guess maybe the Dome Patrol days spoiled me but I LOVE the 3-4. I think it is the best defense because it allows for so many options. I hope we one day we return to this.

That's just it, the Dome Patrol was filled with talented players at almost every position. The players were really good. The defense we have now isn't nearly as talented. I don't care what system you put them in, they will not be another Dome Patrol. Fujita is our best linebacker right now, and he wouldn't even sniff the field if he played for the Saints during the Dome Patrol era.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom