Wow.. just found this one... (1 Viewer)

It does help illustrate the difference that, at least so far, Payton is more candid than Haslett and WANTS the fans to be involved. Not, of course, from a decision making standpoint but actually ACKNOWLEDGES that we are an important part of the "team" and challenges us to be held as accountable as he does the players. It doesn't have to be throwing somebody under a bus just to acknowledge that you've made a wrong decision when a play or a player doesn't work.

Hey Father,

Nice read padre. This goes to show why Jim Haslett is no longer a head coach in this league and had to take a demotion.

Dog

Well, to be fair, Brooks was on fire the first half of 2002. The Saints were 6-2 and Brooks had thrown 18 TDs in eight games against 9 Ints. He had a QB rating above 100 in four of those eight games. Even down the stretch in the final five games where we tanked, he threw 6 TDS versus only 2 INTS. Where he fell apart was completion percentage, under 50% in 4 of the last 5 games. Sheesh. He wound up that year with 27TDS and 15 Ints. Not far off Brees numbers this year. But Drew is completing 65% of his passes and has a much higher QB rating because of that.

uh...saying that Brees has weaknesses as Brooks does is just uninformed and sad......

uh...saying that Brees has weaknesses as Brooks does is just uninformed and sad......

Did you not finishing reading the post? I said Brees is the better QB, but im sorry he does have weaknesses. It would be uninformed and sad to think that he doesn't.

I just don't understand why people blame Brooks and Haslett for everything that went wrong the last 5 years. Brooks was actually one of the key contributors to those teams along with Deuce and Horn. Our offense was not the problem. Our defense couldn't stop anybody, but hardly anyone mentions that as reasons for why we played so poorly. We had to score in the 30s to even have a chance to win, and even if we scored that much they would still blow leads against Atlanta and Minnesotta, but I guess that was Brooks fault too.

History can repeat, you must understand it to prevent this

I just don't understand why people blame Brooks and Haslett for everything that went wrong the last 5 years. Brooks was actually one of the key contributors to those teams along with Deuce and Horn. Our offense was not the problem. Our defense couldn't stop anybody, but hardly anyone mentions that as reasons for why we played so poorly. We had to score in the 30s to even have a chance to win, and even if we scored that much they would still blow leads against Atlanta and Minnesotta, but I guess that was Brooks fault too.

Exactly. I wish people would take a close look at the stats from the final 3 games. Against the Vikings Brooks threw for 255 yards, he had 2 TD no INTs and a rating of 107...but people keep saying that he was the problem even though he lead the team to 31 points.

Against the Bengals he had a solid game until the fourth quarter when a string of incomplete passes ruined his stats. But at that time everybody knew what was coming because the Saints had to score and the couldn't run all day. Deuce had 15 carries for 25 yards. Nobody talks about that. Nobody talks about that Grant, Lewis and Smith fumbled in that game. Boo Williams dropped a TD pass in the fourth quarter. Who cares? It's all Brooks' fault!

AB had a bad game against the Pabthers but at the time the Panthers were HOT. There's a reason they went to the SB the following season.

AB did/does have talents and he should have admitted in '02 that his shoulder wasn't 100% and let Jake finish out the season. He knew how he got his job (Blake got hurt) and was afraid. But the buck def. didn't stop with him. It's true, the D sucked; but year after year, Venturi's job was safe and the Saints were banging their head into the wall over and over and expecting a different result. The same penalties over and over for years that no one was held accountable for. No fundamentals and no intangibles (including heart, pride, camraderie). We've had some talented players for years that went to waste.

Why should Brooks have let Jake finish the season when he was able to play well enough to have a 107 rating?

Just what would you call a season where you are sitting at 9-4 (with the 2 eventual wild card teams at 7-6 [Giants] and 8-4-1 [Falcons]), then lose your final 3 games, one of which was to a team that was 1-13 at the time you played them ?

Disappointing?

I was at the Grand in Biloxi earlier this year, and the valet's were talking about how Haz and Brooks were there together ALL the time, and inseperable. They were never seen apart. This was pretty interesting to me, they seemed to be the best of friends.

Let's at least keep the facts straight:

Exactly. I wish people would take a close look at the stats from the final 3 games. Against the Vikings Brooks threw for 255 yards, he had 2 TD no INTs and a rating of 107...but people keep saying that he was the problem even though he lead the team to 31 points.

24 points. Michael Lewis had a 97 yd KO return for a TD.

Against the Bengals he had a solid game until the fourth quarter when a string of incomplete passes ruined his stats. But at that time everybody knew what was coming because the Saints had to score and the couldn't run all day. Deuce had 15 carries for 25 yards. Nobody talks about that. Nobody talks about that Grant, Lewis and Smith fumbled in that game. Boo Williams dropped a TD pass in the fourth quarter. Who cares? It's all Brooks' fault!

Solid game until the 4th quarter? Hardly. He was 14 for 29 in the first 3 quarters, with 3 fumbles in the first half, one of which he lost.

Last edited:
It is beating a dead horse, but it's true. AB was throwing some of the weakest passes I've ever seen from a QB especially of his arm strength. 68,000 fans were screaming for Jake, but Haslett (with that stupid look on his face) stuck with a severly injured QB over a home town fav that has (then and now) talent.

The D was a big part of that horrible Dec too. Can't forget about that aweful playing. Out of position constantly and TRYING (feably) to arm tackle or go for the Sports Center highlight hit only to have the guy go right on by.

Oh well. It's over. It Nov 2006. Not Dec 2002.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom