Wow, new NCAA rule being proposed to eject players who make illegal hits (1 Viewer)

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
NCAA rule would add an ejection for illegal hit - ESPN

Yes I know this is for College but with Goodell's want for a safer game, if the NCAA does pass this rule could the NFL follow? I'm all for player saftey but with the speed of todays game I just don't see how this is fair. We will basically be watching another version of basket ball because the defense is too scared to touch an offensive player and football as we know it will not be as fun unless you love seeing teams score 60+ points.

Yes there are proper techniques for tackling, but with the speed of the game and the fact that the majority of these hits are due to the Offensive Player crouching down preparing for the hit which lowers the players head into the hit area, it will just make defenses that much more ineffective and reluctant. It's already effecting the secondary players as they can no longer "seperate the player from catching the ball with a clean hit since the WR's action of catching the ball puts him in a defensless player classification." The majority of the time you can clearly see if the hit was intentional or not.

I get sick of seeing when a D-Linemen goes to swat the ball from the QB, misses and grazes the QB's helmet for a 15 yard personal foul. How can you not clearly determine the difference between that and an intentional clothesline to sack or harm the QB. College teams have the extra players to make up for this rule as you could quickly lose a few players each game all due to the opinion of the Ref's. The NFL would not be able to sustain these player expulsions as losing 2 or more players at any position would greatly effect your defense.

So anytime a defensive player goes against an offensive player, the latter will lower his head to have it at the same height with that of the defender at the last second ---> d player ejected? Uh.

I believe they are allowing a review of these penalties to determine if the illegal hit was truly illegal. For instance if the offensive player drops his head just before impact and that causes a helmet-to-helmet hit, then the penalty would not stand. That makes it a little better in my view but I still don't like the trend of outlawing defensive play.

How about they enforce the ejection rules already in place.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CxeSvm0WSQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's time to welcome Soccer as the new King of sports in this country. All these rules are killing this sport.

Not tryin to call you out or be a soccer hater:)bow: Messi). Is soccer anywhere near 2nd even??? MLS Cup game > NBA Finals or even the World Series?? I don't think so. Edit: in this country....

While I can see issues with the defenseless player part of this, there is really no reason for a defender to ever hit an offensive player with the crown of their helmet. I'm fine if that's an ejection and if it can be seen clearly upon review.

The defenseless player part may be better if they wait until after the game and can determine that with video without the emotion of the game. Then they can give progressive penalties for violation. Warning for first violation, 1/2 game for second violation, 1 game for third, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom