WR DeSean Jackson measured in at 5'9/169 (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From Rotoworld:
California WR DeSean Jackson measured in at 5'9/169 at the NFL Combine weigh-in.

This is significant. Jackson was listed at 6'0/172 during his Cal days. He still has superior explosiveness to hang his hat on, but teams may not view him as a legitimate outside receiver right away. Jackson could fall to the bottom of the first round. Feb. 22 - 12:13 pm et

I've heard about players being listed bigger than they actually are but never by three inches. That's a huge difference. Why do I have a feeling this might drop him to round two where Sean Payton won't be able to help himself?

God I hope not though...

If we got him in the 2nd round it would be a steal.

But don't you feel like there should be a limit to how many times you can just draft the BPA? I mean at some point you have to draft by positional needs. Otherwise we'll just keep getting stacked at certain positions and remain weak at others.

But don't you feel like there should be a limit to how many times you can just draft the BPA? I mean at some point you have to draft by positional needs. Otherwise we'll just keep getting stacked at certain positions and remain weak at others.

Sure, especially when the staff has proven that it sees the world through WR colored glasses.

If we don't sign anyone between now and the draft, he'd probably be a nice pick in the 2nd round. We only have 3 WR's on our roster right now (Colston, Meachem, Copper) that are expected to make the team. I'm guessing we'll re-sign Lance Moore since he's a RFA and bring in someone to fight for the starting spot opposite Colston.

Early Doucet's another possiblity; it seems like his stock is dropping. He seems like a solid fit for Payton's offense.

Hopefully we address a few of our major defensive needs in Free Agency, so we can go BPA.

He would be more than a steal in the 2nd round. I don't think any sane person ever had him listed at 6'. 5'11 maybe, but even then, people knew it was being generous. The 169 concerns me more than the lack of height.

What are the chances the Saints trade down a couple spots in the 1st and get an extra 2nd/3rd should Dorsey/Ellis/Rivers be unavailable? They wouldn't have to drop down too far to do something like this.

He would be more than a steal in the 2nd round. I don't think any sane person ever had him listed at 6'. 5'11 maybe, but even then, people knew it was being generous. The 169 concerns me more than the lack of height.

What are the chances the Saints trade down a couple spots in the 1st and get an extra 2nd/3rd should Dorsey/Ellis/Rivers be unavailable? They wouldn't have to drop down too far to do something like this.

Lets wait and see what kind of numbers Cromartie puts up at the Combine. If he performs like most of this board expects, and we don't sign a corner in FA, he'll be our pick (if available) IMO. That's assuming Dorsey and Ellis don't fall to us, which would make it very interesting. In that situation, trading down a few picks would be nice, but you've gotta find someone willing to do it.

Steve Smith (Panthers) is about the same size... if the guy can play WR at a high level in the NFL... who cares what his height/weight is?

Yeah, hopefully this drops him out of the first round. Jackson at the 41st pick is money.

Steve Smith (Panthers) is about the same size... if the guy can play WR at a high level in the NFL... who cares what his height/weight is?
Like I said, if he gains 15 lbs he's SS.

No. Free agency is where you fill positional needs. That way if an amazing talent like Jackson falls to you in the second round you can take him. Using a second, third or fourth round pick on a "position of need" is no guarantee that you have filled that need. The draft is more or less an educated crap shoot. You might strike gold, you might not with any draft pick. If you have a need at a position, the safest and best route is free agency. It is much easier to properly evaluate a guy that has been in the league a few years and project him to your scheme. There is less of a chance of a miss with free agency. Put simply if you have a better shot at filling a need in free agency than in the draft.

Beyond that, we are not stacked at WR. We have Colston, an unproven Meachem and Copper under contract. We need another WR. If you can get a potentially great player at that position in the second round, you take him. According to Mike Detillier, WR is the deepest position in this draft. We will likely draft one somewhere in this draft and if you can get a great WR talent in the second, you have to take him.

No. Free agency is where you fill positional needs. That way if an amazing talent like Jackson falls to you in the second round you can take him. Using a second, third or fourth round pick on a "position of need" is no guarantee that you have filled that need. The draft is more or less an educated crap shoot. You might strike gold, you might not with any draft pick. If you have a need at a position, the safest and best route is free agency. It is much easier to properly evaluate a guy that has been in the league a few years and project him to your scheme. There is less of a chance of a miss with free agency. Put simply if you have a better shot at filling a need in free agency than in the draft.

Beyond that, we are not stacked at WR. We have Colston, an unproven Meachem and Copper under contract. We need another WR. If you can get a potentially great player at that position in the second round, you take him. According to Mike Detillier, WR is the deepest position in this draft. We will likely draft one somewhere in this draft and if you can get a great WR talent in the second, you have to take him.
I'm really don't think drafting wide receivers in the first round is worth it. There are a lot of underrated receivers in every draft that can be found later (round 4-7). Receivers in the first round are too risky. Just ask the Lions. For every Roy Williams, there is a Charles Rogers and Mike Williams.
Desean Jackson is a smaller version of Tedd Ginn Jr. I think Ginn's impact his rookie year (or lack thereof) will hurt Jackson's stock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom