WR Marquez Callaway, is he the final piece to the Saints Wide Receiver Puzzle? (1 Viewer)

I honestly feel good about our WR group, we will need good health no doubt for our top two (CGM and Sanders), but I have a feeling Harris is going to be much more involved the offense this year. Even if he is a poor man's T Hill, our offense will be better by leaps and bounds. Drew has two tight ends now that can be weapons in the passing game, and Trautman can be a sneaky one bc he is equally effective as a blocker which will not tip our hand to play call. So basically the weapons are there now and if some would like to see more depth or another weapon well we will have a pretty good cast fighting for the remaining spot(s) at WR (TQS, Callaway, Butler, Humphries) I have no doubt one can emerge from that group and be effective and again that's for your third or fourth receiver. We have a lot of ammunition. And most importantly with the addition of Ruiz teams aren't going to be applying the same interior pressure to Brees which is huge, give Brees time he will kill you. Payton had his prized O line embarrassed against Atl and Min last year, I am betting it doesn't continue.

With the signing of Winston, Taysom Hill is the fourth wide receiver.

We’re so long overdue to have a receiver that isn’t a 1st or 2nd round pick to step up and produce. Plenty of training camp beasts and guys that have potential that never put it all together, but seriously. What has happened that we can’t find one receiver to step up and play at a decent NFL level? I hope this is the year that changes. I don’t care if it’s TQ, Butler, Humphries, or this guy. Even the towel boy. We need someone to prove they can be a contributor.

I’m not expecting much from him, but I won’t be surprised if he makes the team. The lack of quality depth behind CGM and now Sanders, isn’t much to brag about.

Honest Q.
Would we be able to utilize a burner anyways? Would the opposing D respect the deep ball?

I don't get this premise. Is throwing deep a difficult feat? The Saints don't have a deep threat in terms of Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem or Brandon Cooks, players who can beat you in a foot race. Thomas can get deep because he's just a dominate player but others get deep because of Payton's ability to draw up plays that get us 20 yard chunks.

Saints just need to find someone who can take the top off so the threat can be there in this offense to open up the kid range game more like when Devery, Meachem and Cooks were supplying that threat

Last edited:
I don't get this premise. Is throwing deep a difficult feet? The Saints don't have a deep threat in terms of Devery Henderson or Brandon Cooks players who beat you on a foot race not he deep playa Thomas and others get because of Payton's ability to draw up plays that get us 20 yard chunks.

Saints just need to find someone who can take the top off so the threat can be there in this offense to open up the kid range game more like when Devery, Meachem and Cooks were supplying that threat

Ted Ginn could beat pretty much anyone in a foot race. The threat was there but teams didn't respect it because the deep ball isn't part of our offense with Brees anymore. In the playoffs we had to get Hill to provide the deep throw. All a go route does for our offense anymore is take one receiving option off the table because we can't throw it to them. Teams know this and would rather sit on Kamara than send 2 guys deep.

Ted Ginn could beat pretty much anyone in a foot race. The threat was there but teams didn't respect it because the deep ball isn't part of our offense with Brees anymore. In the playoffs we had to get Hill to provide the deep throw. All a go route does for our offense anymore is take one receiving option off the table because we can't throw it to them. Teams know this and would rather sit on Kamara than send 2 guys deep.

Tedd Ginn was not the player he used to be, sure he's fast but his skills had diminished. The deep ball is apart of every teams game and the Saints took high percentage shots down field, mainly because Brees is a highly skilled game manager at this point in his career so I agree in part of what your saying.

Once Taysom takes over you will see a more aggressive team in the passing game because Hill has a live arm and the ability to make plays and throws out the pocket. He brings a play making ability similar to D. Watson and L. Murray and Payton can't wait to show him off.

Honestly, the only question that needs answering right now is how good of a special teamer he will be.

He has some traits but if he can't cover punts then be wont ever get to showcase them

I don't get this premise. Is throwing deep a difficult feet? The Saints don't have a deep threat in terms of Devery Henderson or Brandon Cooks players who beat you on a foot race not he deep playa Thomas and others get because of Payton's ability to draw up plays that get us 20 yard chunks.

For me it’s the fact that we cannot throw the deep ball successfully, which in turn makes the D play the short and intermediate and not respect the deep. Which bottles the underneath stuff up, leaves us less room to operate.
Ginn was taking the top off, we consistently under threw him on those deep routes.

4.55 is not fast for a deep speed receiver. I do thing that if we add a receiver to the 55 man roster, it'll be a Ted Ginn type. It's the only type of WR we're lacking right now..

Agreed!.. & speaking of, my boy Cedric Byrd out of Hawai'i is still out there (how, I don't even know).. burner with soft hands.. not the new style "big WR", but at 5'9 175 he plays with big heart..

NW.

I hope so... We haven't really had WR depth since Moore left town.

You're right, we haven't had much depth for some time. But that year with Thomas, Cooks, and Snead was pretty darned good. We came close to having three receivers with 1,000 yards each. Still a long time ago though.

You're right, we haven't had much depth for some time. But that year with Thomas, Cooks, and Snead was pretty darned good. We came close to having three receivers with 1,000 yards each. Still a long time ago though.
Yup i forgot that one... Great team. I sure do miss willie snead i hope he comes back some day.

I hope he is as he’s probably the receiver with the most upside after the top 3 or 4. Hopefully he puts in the work to become a better route runner. Hopefully Tennessee just didn’t ask him to run a full route tree and just wanted him to be the deep threat to open up everything underneath. It’s not like he had some great QBs there.

If not him than Emmanuel Butler is my other guy. He looked great in camp and just average in the preseason games last year. Hopefully the staff lets him play some other spots besides just being Michael Thomas, backup. The only way he will make the final 53 is if he can play on the outside with Thomas or Sanders in the slot. Having Thomas and Butler on the outside with Sanders in the slot could be a dangerous receiver combo if they let it happen. That’s the only thing aggravating about preseason is we usually only see these backup guys play with other backups.

I’m hoping at the start of preseason we see Thomas, Sanders, and Tre’Quan in our starting 3 receiver sets. Then Callaway, Butler, and Harris would be sweet as the other 3 receiver set. I doubt we see a ton of those 3 together, but that’s what I’m pulling for the most.

If he had displayed deep threat/burner speed (sub 4.45), he will likely have not ended up an UDFA.

With the signing of Winston, Taysom Hill is the fourth wide receiver.

Taysom is the 2a on the quarterback depth chart. he is not a better receiver than any receiver we have on the roster, he is a athlete that got snaps at H-Back and played special teams but he's not a better receiver or receiving PROSPECT than the current players at the position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom