WRNO has left the building (1 Viewer)

TPS:

I don't know how old you are. I guess I am giving away my age. Joe Costello was Michael Costello's older brother. Michael Costello was not a very good DJ, in my opinion. Joe Costello was a FM radio pioneer in the New Orleans area. In my opinion, he put FM on the map in New Orleans. I miss the days of Progressive Rock, when WRNO operated out of a hotel room on Causeway Boulevard. KAAY was also a dynomite rock station out of Little Rock. I still believe that FM was in its heyday during that period.....say.....late 60's to the mid 70's. Then the corporations began "buying up the airwaves" and bringing in "consultants" that told them what the public wanted to hear. In reality, they never had a clue. You can tell by the playlists and the music you have heard from these stations for the last 20 years. Listening to the same old stuff, over and over, really got old and made XM and Sirius a reality.

I like a lot of the music 106.3 is playing. I think that is a small station out of Houma. Their reception is weak, but when I get them, I enjoy listening.

Break out the C D's.

Joe

Last edited:
Old, but not that old. :hihi: When I was in high school, we had WTUL for the progressive stuff. They'd think nothing of busting out a whole ELP album at 10:00 in the morning or playing La Villa Strangiato at 2 in the afternoon. That type of radio is long gone, unfortunately.

As for 106.3, that's mostly what I listen to. The best times for hard rock are during the wake and bake morning show a) Friday morning between 7:30 and 8 (Finally Friday wakeup call where they bust out a bunch of extra hard stuff from Pantera to even April Wine) and then from 5-6pm most days when they just play requests. 106.3 does play too much of the hit classic rock, but they vary it up enough that you can usually switch back and find something decent on. They're a little more AOR than some of the typical classic rock stations.

Btw, anyone remember this:

99 point 5 rounded to the nearest whole number is 100. FM 100. That had to be the worst station promo ever.

TPS

...By the way, I thought his name was Jay Costello, not Joe.
threexcharm is right. Joe was Michael's older brother. I met Michael several times, but he was not yet a DJ. He came around the station often, though, especially at night. Seems to me he was in the service (Navy?) then, but I wouldn't bet on it. Memory is not that good.

Boy I have a ton of stories about those few months, but none of them are suitable for a family forum. :hihi:

Last edited:
threexcharm is right. Joe was Michael's older brother. I met Michael several times, but he was not yet a DJ. He came around the station often, though, especially at night. Seems to me he was in the service (Navy?) then, but I wouldn't bet on it. Memory is not that good.

Boy I have a ton of stories about those few months, but none of them are suitable for a family forum. :hihi:

Like the one Hugh told me. As you are aware, Joe was a pretty big guy.

He told me Joe had his Lincoln's specially built with a driver's door four feet wide.

I definitely do not mean to diss Joe. He was a smart radio businessman.

Hugh really tried to help me get in the business. He tried to get me into some small markets to start, but I could not work for the $3.00/$3.50 they were offering. I eventually gave up on the dream, but it remains a passion. I guess that is why I dislike listening to what FM "rock" has become.

Joe

Like the one Hugh told me. As you are aware, Joe was a pretty big guy.

He told me Joe had his Lincoln's specially built with a driver's door four feet wide.

I definitely do not mean to diss Joe. He was a smart radio businessman.

Hugh really tried to help me get in the business. He tried to get me into some small markets to start, but I could not work for the $3.00/$3.50 they were offering. I eventually gave up on the dream, but it remains a passion. I guess that is why I dislike listening to what FM "rock" has become.

Joe

I was making $2.75/hr (minimum wage) at the time. When I left WRNO, I was offered Garland Robinette's old job (he had moved on to bigger and better things in Houma, I believe) at WCKW in LaPlace, but they wanted me to work 4 hours as a DJ and another 4 hours as a janitor :hihi:. Didn't mind the work, but it took away from time I needed for college so that was the end of my very short DJ career.

Nobody made much money in radio in NO back then. Those guys who did well mostly went on to bigger markets in either the East Coast or the West Coast. Some few who stuck around eventually did OK for themselves and a few like Garland got into TV and did well. But it was a tough way to make a living, financially speaking.

BTW, when I knew Joe he drove a Dodge Charger. Watching him get in and out of that thing was a trip. It was kinda like watching a woman wiggle into a girdle. I can certainly see why he moved on to a bigger car with a custom door...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom