Wrong-Fit Players for 3-4 (1 Viewer)

JimmyB1775

Guy behind the guy
Reaction score
There are a couple of players who are pretty obvious wrong pieces for our new defense. Can anybody out there make a case to KEEP Will Smith, Shanle or Vilma? I know Vilma is the easiest.

I think Shanle is as good as gone, Vilma there can be a case made but I am staying away from that one. Smith I can't see how he fits in this 3-4 at all.

The only justification I see is if we don't switch to a pure 3-4. And when I say that I mean, we swap in some 4-3 looks throughout the game a hand full of times. It makes sense honestly sense we are a team in transition to the 3-4. And some situations simply call for more bodies on the LOS

Will Smith is big and strong, but not great at rushing the passer, sounds like a perfect DE in the 3-4.

I think you mistakenly posted out loud again.

Or it may have more to do with the fact that 80% of the threads on the front page are about our defense, Vilma and Smith, the draft (and therefore also about our defense) and who will or won't fit into the new system.

Or it may have more to do with the fact that 80% of the threads on the front page are about our defense, Vilma and Smith, the draft (and therefore also about our defense) and who will or won't fit into the new system.

I follow a general rule of posting only in threads in which I am interested. I try not to stop in to tell people I don't care about their topic. Obnoxious first graders do that. I know, we have one.

Will Smith was horrible rushing the passer and embarassing to the point of suicide defending the run. I don't know why he should play on a football field, i mean.

Not even saying anything about shanle, if we retain him the point of suicide will be vastly surpassed

Dont you remember the Shanle vs Falcons fans trash talk thread. He's crazy productive and reliable as a football player. He'd just our scapegoat. He's got some good stats if you look them up.

Will Smith has been nothing but disappointing. I felt like we were playing him because we were paying him. Like Ellis.

I think Shanle is as good as gone, Vilma there can be a case made but I am staying away from that one. Smith I can't see how he fits in this 3-4 at all.

If any of those three are starting or even playing more than 25% of the plays we are in heap big trouble. In Shanle's case I would go a step further and say that if he is playing at all we are screwed.

The only justification I see is if we don't switch to a pure 3-4. And when I say that I mean, we swap in some 4-3 looks throughout the game a hand full of times. It makes sense honestly sense we are a team in transition to the 3-4. And some situations simply call for more bodies on the LOS

Its been reported and confirmed by Payton that we will be running a over/under 3-4 scheme where the weak side inside linebacker (Vilma) will be protected by the guards because the lineman will lineup in front if the guard so he has already found a way to tailor the defense to the players on the roster.

I thought Vilma, Smith, Ellis and Shanle would all be gone but its looking like only Ellis would walk...seems Sbanle could be moved inside as depth if he is released or allowed to walk...but it looks like if your started last year then you will probably be starting this year.

Will Smith is big and strong, but not great at rushing the passer, sounds like a perfect DE in the 3-4.

He's big but he's anything but strong. This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions on this board.

If he was so big and strong why do we rank 28th at defending runs to his side, yet 2nd on defending runs to Jordan's side?

He's big but he's anything but strong. This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions on this board.

If he was so big and strong why do we rank 28th at defending runs to his side, yet 2nd on defending runs to Jordan's side?

Was he 28th out of at least 64 defensive ends? Do you have a link for this? I'd like to read more about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom