COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the infected ones aren’t coming back yet.

The title is misleading.

From the article:

Some 400 Americans loaded into buses destined for Tokyo, where two planes chartered by the US government waited to bring them home.

While the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship is finally behind them, it’s not the end of the journey for those Americans headed home.

Both flights are destined for US Air Force bases, one in California at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, the other in Texas.

Once they arrive, passengers face a mandatory two-week quarantine.

The title is misleading.

From the article:

Some 400 Americans loaded into buses destined for Tokyo, where two planes chartered by the US government waited to bring them home.

While the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship is finally behind them, it’s not the end of the journey for those Americans headed home.

Both flights are destined for US Air Force bases, one in California at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, the other in Texas.

Once they arrive, passengers face a mandatory two-week quarantine.

Last lines of the article:

Those Americans, or anyone who shows symptoms, will not be allowed to take the US flights home.

They will remain in Japanese hospitals for treatment.

Seems drastic for something less dangerous than normal flu. IDK, maybe this is just the new normal.

Well, we don't know if this is more or less dangerous than the flu. It seems the mortality rate is high enough to deserve the attention it's getting. It certainly seems dangerous enough right now, and it will remain so until an effective vaccine is developed.

It's been over 3 weeks since this post about the 60 year old woman in Chicago, shouldn't we have lots of cases popping up where she was?

It's fairly interesting to go back in this thread and see how much speculation was going on. I especially liked the snake theories.
If I remember correctly, she gave it to her husband. His newborn grandchild showed symptoms but was later cleared. A person who was believed to be an associate/acquaintance in nearby Chesterton, Indiana was a suspected case but was also cleared. After that the story seems to have gone dark. No news is, probably, good news.

If I remember correctly, she gave it to her husband. His newborn grandchild showed symptoms but was later cleared. A person who was believed to be an associate/acquaintance in nearby Chesterton, Indiana was a suspected case but was also cleared. After that the story seems to have gone dark. No news is, probably, good news.

Yes, she did give it to her husband. First P2P in the US.

Interesting read:

There is certainly people that would not submit to quarantine measures similar to China's current situation. In fact, I think a lot of people would be against it even if it was for their own good. Let's hope we really don't get to find out.

It remains to be seen if they'll actually find a link, but it seems they are still looking into it.

It remains to be seen if they'll actually find a link, but it seems they are still looking into it.
Can't watch at work -- Cliffs Notes?

I've seen people on other boards wonder about this, not so much here. But I'll post this anyway:

You Won't Catch The New Coronavirus Via Packages Or Mail From China

99 more positives on the Princess Diamond cruise ship, total of 454 from there now. Reportedly 70% of the positives aren't showing any symptoms.
A large, indeterminate number of asymptomatic carriers has been postulated from early on. I am curious how many of these 70% will eventually get any symptoms.

I consider a large number of asymptomatic carriers good news from a few perspectives -- it greatly lowers the percentage of infected suffering severe symptoms, and it also lowers the mortality rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom