COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (26 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what city? My brother in laws just flew from Korea to the states today. Will be seeing them tomorrow. Don't think they're sick, but this news hits close to home for my in laws.

Yeah it said it. But I can’t translate on my phone browser.

I probably can, just dont have it set up .

Yeah it said it. But I can’t translate on my phone browser.

I probably can, just dont have it set up .

Same here. My wife had a translator on her old phone but she hasn't installed on new one yet.

I'm guessing it's a province in or near Seoul. Wife's sisters live there.

It's a massive city, so its unlikely they made contact with any of the infected. This potential super spreader is scary enough tho.

Do you? I know someone that works there but don't talk to her very often. I always think about this place. Have you read Dr. Mary's Monkey?
The woman who found out how to inject cancer into people. Office ransacked but nothing taken really.

No, just because that will be a message sent out by a specific medical practice (Saltdean and Rottingdean). And I think they'll be sending that out because they're just along the coast from Brighton, where that UK cluster of cases is.

I'm sure some other practices will be sending out similar messages, but it's not a national thing at this point.
Update on this. I got a similar text message from my health center this morning, so it looks like more practices across the UK (I'm in the NW of England) are sending them out now:

Screenshot_20200219_110457.jpg

Looks like they're just saying 'from abroad' there and relying on the 111 service to do screening, presumably to avoid people who might have been in affected areas just turning up, as the list of affected areas expands.

The official Government advice (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public) has expanded from people travelling from China in the last 14 days, to people travelling from 'mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau' in the last 14 days.

These numbers seem like a significant uptick. Didn't realize the cruise ship was already that high.

I wonder how the Iran cases showed up.

I think we can be confident that there is uncontained spreading (possible environmental transmission) in at least three countries outside of China right now (Japan, Singapore, and South Korea). There has been little to no effort to check against people from those locations carrying the virus abroad.

Plus, I doubt effective measures have been implemented worldwide to check against the virus coming from China. Wuhan/Hubei have been shut out for weeks now but I'm not sure about the rest of China. I think much of China is on lockdown but certainly there are gaps, weaknesses, and exceptions.

I think we can be confident that there is uncontained spreading (possible environmental transmission) in at least three countries outside of China right now (Japan, Singapore, and South Korea). There has been little to no effort to check against people from those locations carrying the virus abroad.

Plus, I doubt effective measures have been implemented worldwide to check against the virus coming from China. Wuhan/Hubei have been shut out for weeks now but I'm not sure about the rest of China. I think much of China is on lockdown but certainly there are gaps, weaknesses, and exceptions.
No evidence I can find of willful neglect at containment but I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of these Asian countries view this as nature taking it's course - passive euthanasia if you will. Having traveled extensively overseas, they have a different view than Westerners - particular on end-of-life care. Wuwei they call it.

EDIT - This doesn't quite show I was saying it does, there's a disconnect between the copy and the map. It's case count, not deaths.

Interesting map of the covid-19 deaths in China. Any province in red has at least 100 deaths. We know that the hospitals in Hubei were overwhelmed but this shows how serious it is elsewhere in China.

Last edited:
No evidence I can find of willful neglect at containment but I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of these Asian countries view this as nature taking it's course - passive euthanasia if you will. Having traveled extensively overseas, they have a different view than Westerners - particular on end-of-life care. Wuwei they call it.

Perhaps but I'm skeptical of that view, just given how damaging this can be to their economy. If it gets out of hand in Japan or ROK, and they have to go lockdown like China - their economies are going to get crushed and they don't have the same control and scale that the Chinese have.

Contrary to what the WHO has said, I think Japan is in significant risk of losing the Olympics if they don't get true containment. If the Japan case count continues to grow un-checked over the next month, I think we will start to hear about relocating the Olympics . . . which are set to begin in five months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom