COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (30 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIFY. Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Apology is never needed for 28-3 references.

I didn't realize they were letting people off Diamond Princess and flat out free to leave. I thought they were being quarantined onshore. What the hell is Japan thinking? Going off the rate of spread and numbers from the ship, there is probably at least a dozen out that group that will end up sick.

Would you make a decision or draw a conclusion from another printed source? For example, the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or The Economist?
Generally, yes.

If no, then it isn't really a characteristic of twitter that is driving your response, is it?
See above.

If yes, then what's the difference between those sources and a twitter account that is the verified twitter account for those sources, or a verified writer on staff at those sources?
WWL-TV's Twitter counts the same for me as WWL-TV's website or content they broadcast over the airwaves. I fully understand and agree with the point in your next paragraph. My mental shortcut, when I think/hear "Twitter" is "random person engaging in doom-casting, click-generation, etc."

Bottom line for me: not all twitter accounts are equal. That means not all twitter posts (tweets) are equal. That means you have to have a quality filter - just like any other information source. And if you really want to be sure, you need to verify further from other sources. But that's just information quality 101.
Agreed. Do enough Twitter readers have a quality filter? Or a requisite level of skepticism? I ask rhetorically, but privately (well, not now) have my doubts.

Fair enough, but for discussion, I'd like to follow up:

Would you make a decision or draw a conclusion from another printed source? For example, the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or The Economist?

- If no, then it isn't really a characteristic of twitter that is driving your response, is it?

- If yes, then what's the difference between those sources and a twitter account that is the verified twitter account for those sources, or a verified writer on staff at those sources?

Bottom line for me: not all twitter accounts are equal. That means not all twitter posts (tweets) are equal. That means you have to have a quality filter - just like any other information source. And if you really want to be sure, you need to verify further from other sources. But that's just information quality 101.
People seem to forget about Operation Mockingbird....in my humble opinion, this program never stopped. The wikileak communications confirmed this if one cares to investigate.

I didn't realize they were letting people off Diamond Princess and flat out free to leave. I thought they were being quarantined onshore. What the hell is Japan thinking? Going off the rate of spread and numbers from the ship, there is probably at least a dozen out that group that will end up sick.
Looks like it's paywalled ... but I've read about this elsewhere.

Agreed. Do enough Twitter readers have a quality filter? Or a requisite level of skepticism? I ask rhetorically, but privately (well, not now) have my doubts.

No - a very significant percentage of people out there do not have quality filters (and healthy skepticism) and they seem to lack either the capacity to acquire them or the willingness, or a combination of both. And that has some negative consequences.

But what do we do with that conclusion that isn't somehow authoritarian or even trending to dystopian?

No - a very significant percentage of people out there do not have quality filters (and healthy skepticism) and they seem to lack either the capacity to acquire them or the willingness, or a combination of both. And that has some negative consequences.

But what do we do with that conclusion that isn't somehow authoritarian or even trending to dystopian?
Twitter is by far the fastest news source in the world and most of the times it's pretty easy to filter out the good and the bad. I think in this whole thread I've posted one bad link and even questioned it when I posted it. I wouldn't have posted it if it hadn't been retweeted by a media organization from the impacted area. A few times I copied links from individuals that posted a story from a major outlet because I didn't realize when I clicked the story in the tweet and copied the link it revereted back to the tweet I originally sourced but it doesn't change the article.

With that said, there is more sheet to sift through on twitter than a septic tank. I'm not a big fan of Twitter except in getting news fast in small little packages to weed through it quickly. I can't even make myself use it for weather purposes but really need to be using it more.

All I've said, in short, is that I don't trust or respect random Twitter citations of game-changing news :shrug: Maybe I'm guilty of using the single word "Twitter" to encapsulate the worst abuses of the medium.

As for government intervention ... I dunno. That would probably be a bridge too far. Maybe social sanctions of some kind will eventually develop in an organic manner (cf. most people generally being hip to phone scammers).

Apology is never needed for 28-3 references.

Last night, the CDC even said that they didn't think a negative test upon disembarking from the ship was "sufficient time" - explaining why the US is requiring additional quarantine.

This also means that any other country that isn't (e.g. Japan) is asking for trouble.

The two dead in Iran were elderly with no travel history. Investigation on how they contacted the virus is underway. Data would suggest they contracted Covid at least 2 weeks ago. Makes me wonder how many other countries have similar situations that haven't been tested or reported yet.

The two dead in Iran were elderly with no travel history. Investigation on how they contacted the virus is underway. Data would suggest they contracted Covid at least 2 weeks ago. Makes me wonder how many other countries have similar situations that haven't been tested or reported yet.
I have a slight fever and very minor cough. I really don’t want to do Mardi Gras this year but wife is persistent. Might have to raise the DEFCON level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom