COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (26 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we count people who didn't contract the disease here from another? If somebody contracts the disease in another country, then they come over here for care, they could not be counted as a person who contracted the disease in the US.

It’s just how they’re counted - where is the patient when the diagnosis is made. That’s a known quality, trying to figure out where they got it and count it there can be much fuzzier.

It’s just how they’re counted - where is the patient when the diagnosis is made. That’s a known quality, trying to figure out where they got it and count it there can be much fuzzier.

Yeah I get that, but based on what he had said.. transmission cases in the US has only been 2 confirmed cases at this point?

That's even better news then. We really only have two cases in the use that came from human transmission in the states? Fantastic!

Yes, two separate cases in which people travelling abroad came home and gave it to their spouse. But you also have the 2 cases in Japan that were diagnosed the day they returned from a trip to Hawaii. The guy had symptoms for several days while in Hawaii before returning home.

Yes, two separate cases in which people travelling abroad came home and gave it to their spouse. But you also have the 2 cases in Japan that were diagnosed the day they returned from a trip to Hawaii. The guy had symptoms for several days while in Hawaii before returning home.

I think it’s reasonable to conclude they were infected before they left for Hawaii.

I just looked up some not so fun stats. Here in Hawaii county, Big Island as we call it, we have about 450 total hospital beds. There are a little over 200,000 people living on island. The closest full service hospital to me is 35 minutes away and has 35 beds total. There is a small emergency hospital about 5 minutes away but they have 4 or 5 beds. I am not confident in our ability to deal with an outbreak on this island.

If you look at all of Hawaii. 2,583 hospital beds for 1.4 million people.

Latest official China health authority update changes view on aerosol transmission from “not clearly established” to agreeing that it does happen with prolonged exposure in a confined space.

It certainly appears like those metrics are reduced for greater transmission in the case of super-spreaders. The 24-person cluster in Daegu, South Korea is being attributed to one person.

I just looked up some not so fun stats. Here in Hawaii county, Big Island as we call it, we have about 450 total hospital beds. There are a little over 200,000 people living on island. The closest full service hospital to me is 35 minutes away and has 35 beds total. There is a small emergency hospital about 5 minutes away but they have 4 or 5 beds. I am not confident in our ability to deal with an outbreak on this island.

Well, if there is an outbreak, being an island chain is helpful - you have an easier time isolating infected areas. Though I suspect that would be pretty crazy if they tried to isolate Maui or Oahu. People would be jumping on boats.

Well, if there is an outbreak, being an island chain is helpful - you have an easier time isolating infected areas. Though I suspect that would be pretty crazy if they tried to isolate Maui or Oahu. People would be jumping on boats.

There is over a million people on Oahu. It would be crazy. As for the boat thing, its super dangerous to sail between islands unless you really know what you are doing and the weather is good. We are well over 2000 miles from the nearest land mass. So inter island would be about as good as a boat would get most people. There are so many inter island flights per day I think if it shows up in one island it wouldn't be long before its on all of them.

Damn and there is no escape either. You are on that island.

Most likely, which means they were probably spreading it for their entire 10 day trip to Maui and Oahu.

Might be time for another trip to the hardware store.
At least if Hawaii runs wild with cases you are in a spot that is pretty damn isolated. I've been everywhere on the big island except where you live.

First deaths from the cruise ship.

3200 total people on board, 620 infected, 2 deaths aged 80+, possibly a single passenger as a source who left on Jan 24. There were 10 cases on Feb 4th. There were 454 on the 17th, 542 on the 18th, and now 620 on the 19th.

That would be 20% of people getting infected as of today. The final tally won’t be known for weeks. I hope these people are tracked as ship cases even after they disembark and get quarantined. If they are rolled into national numbers, then I worry important data gets lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom