COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I'm seeing a lot of is people presuming that if the virus originated in bats and people in China eat a soup made from bats (often garnished with a dead bat), it means that humans get the virus from eating bats.

That's not really how it works. The coronavirus originates in bats but can transmit to intermediate hosts (such as civets in the SARS outbreak and camels in the MERS outbreak). It's not clear whether Wuhan made the jump from bat to person or from some other intermediate host, but the humans get the virus when a human beings become susceptible to a mutation of the virus and it can then jump from the other species to humans.

But that process happens from a live animal (or very recently dead) to humans in the handling or close proximity of the animal. So yes, the market for human consumption is the problem - that's why these animals are in the markets, where they are confined, stressed, and often sick. But the transmission occurs there and not from the process of eating the animal.

I'm travelling to Chicago in about a week. I'm probably bringing a medical mask with me. Screw it.

The only good news, is that we're flying into Midway, and I believe O'Hare is going to be the one dealing with international flights from Wuhan and screening.

This is the worst outbreak in history of man if you are following along on Twitter. Hysteria at it's finest.

Ive changed my routing out of southeast asia at the end of february to avoid China, but am still planning on heading to thailand and singapore unless things get really bad. I think we'll know a lot more by the time I am due to leave the US on 16 FEB

More videos popping up of people in Wuhan collapsing in the street. Not sure what to make of it.

This is the worst outbreak in history of man if you are following along on Twitter. Hysteria at it's finest.

The "man-made" theories are running wild. There is a highly secure pathogen lab in Wuhan - so the conspiracy theorists are running wild with the story that this was (likely accidentally) released from the lab and the Chinese are covering it up. The more cynical are saying it wasn't an accident.

Never mind that the virus has been fully sequenced and analyzed . . . and appears very much like other natural-origin coronaviruses. And is only killing the elderly or infirm. Nope, this is the Chinese government killing us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom