Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak (Update: 17 US cases confirmed) (39 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows? That said the flu strain making it's yearly round in the USA is far more deadly than the wuhan virus.

It’s not far more deadly as a matter of rate. Lethality is measured as a rate of deaths per infection. I think the annual flu varies but kills <.5%. We don’t know the rate for Wuhan but it looks certainly higher than that, and some analysis suggests it will end up being between 5% and 15%.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is it normal to make people pay to evacuate in situations like this? This seems like something our tax dollars would cover. Also by "non-staff" does that include the family of staff? This just seems strange and all outlets are reporting it.
I suspect that means US citizens in Wuhan but not associated with the federal government - but not sure. But I think deployed feds (e.g. State and DOD) probably get travel for their families.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Netflix Pandemic.

Its a series with 4 or 5 different vignettes, but one that caught my interest is about Distributed Bio.
They are pursuing a vaccine for ALL influenza. Basically, they have taken the idea that creating a vaccine taking bits of all historical inluenza up to recent and combining. They are currently in Guatemala doing trials. In the lab, it seems to be effective.

What a novel idea. Instead of focusing on one strain and estimating which strain will be virulent in the coming year, the vaccine would protect one from all influenza.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Third case in Japan, but also from Wuhan. Still no second degree infections anywhere in the world - that I know of at least.

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Most of the base material used to make our medications in the US is manufactured in China. We better load up on steroids, z-pacs, and Albuterol inhalers now. I'm not an expert, but I did take a three day course in EMT training...

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I missed this yesterday - a case in Vietnam is a family member that had not been in Wuhan (the father had been). This kind of spreading is something to watch closely.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Netflix Pandemic.

Its a series with 4 or 5 different vignettes, but one that caught my interest is about Distributed Bio.
They are pursuing a vaccine for ALL influenza. Basically, they have taken the idea that creating a vaccine taking bits of all historical inluenza up to recent and combining. They are currently in Guatemala doing trials. In the lab, it seems to be effective.

What a novel idea. Instead of focusing on one strain and estimating which strain will be virulent in the coming year, the vaccine would protect one from all influenza.
This is interestiing. Thanks for the heads up.I will check it out.

The CDC is working on one as well.

At this time, CDC is participating in a broad inter-agency partnership coordinated by BARDA that supports the advanced development of new and better influenza vaccines. These efforts already have yielded important successes. But part of this effort is the eventual development of a “universal vaccine” that would offer better, broader and longer-lasting protection against seasonal influenza viruses as well as novel influenza viruses. This task poses an enormous scientific and programmatic challenge, but a number of government agencies and private companies already have begun work to advance development of a universal flu vaccine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 24)

Headlines

Top Bottom