Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak (Update: 17 US cases confirmed) (22 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From a friend of mine living in Shanghai.

So here’s an update on what’s happening to me in China...maybe a bit of a ramble. So far in Shanghai things are not too bad. The local markets are open and I can get things like groceries delivered without much trouble (even beer). Delivery is more slow than usual and I have to go to the gate of my apartment complex to pick things up instead of coming right to my door. A lot of restaurants are closed right now, but I’m not keen on going out anyway. It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming week. Many places have been closed for the holiday (my work included) and the government extended that for an extra week, so many people are just now returning to the city. Things will start opening back up this week, but probably not everything. Temperature checks are everywhere , going into the markets and when I return to the apartment complex, always someone with a laser scanner to check you. If you have a fever...I’m not sure what happens but everyone will know about it. Many places require masks, which are difficult to get. My work is encouraging us to work at home this week, which I will happily be doing, if nothing else to avoid the confusion of the first few days when everyone returns to work. Lots of rules coming at work that basically encourage you not to stay be in groups and such (don’t eat in groups, don’t have meetings in person, don’t use the elevator for floors below 6...) There are a lot of transportation restrictions on people coming from certain provinces into Shanghai. The government is very good at tracking where you are are and where you have been. For example I was on a train a couple of weeks ago and I can check to see if anyone else on that train was infected (no one was). Honestly it’s not too scary yet, but things might change a lot when people start going back to work. The biggest thing is that Shanghai feels like a ghost town, millions of people staying inside, not because they have to, but because they want to. So difficult to stay at home instead of enjoying the city life, but until this is over that life won’t exist anyway. Public places like parks, zoos, cinemas, even Disneyland are all closed. Just stay at home. Luckily my apartment and my life are filled with half-finished hobbies. I’m not bored. My work gave us the option to return to the US if I wanted to. I am choosing to stay at this time, partiality because I don’t think the risk is too high, partially because this is where my life is right now. If I went back to the US I would just be worrying about my friends and colleagues here. It would probably be hard to get back anytime soon. I am confident China will beat this. Want to know more? I’ve got plenty of time to talk about it.
Nice read! 👍. Thanks 😊

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice, but the sinus congestion might actually be a good sign. Coronavirus targets the lungs and thats where you should have issues first through a cough or trouble breathiung. I can't see any mention of nasal congestion being a reported symptom.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mother of god

FTA:

“Mr West said the captain had told them seven other planes at Heathrow also had suspected cases of coronavirus on board”

Well, fwiw, all of those were suspected cases. As far as I know, none have been confirmed. Hopefully it stays that way.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mother of god

FTA:

“Mr West said the captain had told them seven other planes at Heathrow also had suspected cases of coronavirus on board”

I think UK has a brewing problem. It might not blow up but there are several strands of possible contact with the infection that aren’t being effectively contained.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Mother of god

FTA:

The captain would have no idea whether a passenger had coronavirus or not. Are they treating everyone with repiratory symptoms as a "suspected coronavirus" carrier? More uninformed panic and another sensationalist headline.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mother of god

FTA:

Hold up - I just noticed that this flight came to London from San Francisco.

And there are also seven other planes at Heathrow right now under suspicion of the virus.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The captain would have no idea whether a passenger had coronavirus or not. Are they treating everyone with repiratory symptoms as a "suspected coronavirus" carrier? More uninformed panic and another sensationalist headline.
You're saying that "Passenger with suspected coronavirus lands at Heathrow" is a sensationalist headline?

The report says the pilot advised the passengers that they were potentially going to be subject to delay because of a suspected coronavirus issue. I don't disagree with you that it bears further question as to why the pilot said that, but if that's indeed what happened and what the pilot said - how is the headline sensationalist?

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're saying that "Passenger with suspected coronavirus lands at Heathrow" is a sensationalist headline?

The report says the pilot advised the passengers that they were potentially going to be subject to delay because of a suspected coronavirus issue. I don't disagree with you that it bears further question as to why the pilot said that, but if that's indeed what happened and what the pilot said - how is the headline sensationalist?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. How it happened was maybe sensationalist because none of the cases were confirmed. But reporting it and the headline wasn't sensationalist imo. I'd want to know this sort of stuff is happening. Particularly if I'm traveling in the near future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 8)

Headlines

Top Bottom