Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak (Update: 17 US cases confirmed) (23 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This article is from the official newspaper in Hong Kong (South China Morning Post), which is credible and has been a bit conservative with its reporting.

Hundreds of patients in Wuhan who have yet to be confirmed as carrying the new strain of coronavirus are becoming increasingly desperate as the city struggles to cope with the numbers reporting pneumonia symptoms.

One 36-year-old, speaking by phone outside a major hospital in the city, said she had spent the past week taking her sick husband from hospital to hospital in a vain attempt to get him tested for the virus, which has already killed 41 people and infected hundreds more.

“I have nothing. No protective clothing, only a raincoat, and I am standing outside the hospital in the rain,” said the woman, who gave her name as Xiaoxi.

“I am desperate, I have lost count of time and days. I don’t know if we will both live to see the new year.”

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Netflix Pandemic.

Its a series with 4 or 5 different vignettes, but one that caught my interest is about Distributed Bio.
They are pursuing a vaccine for ALL influenza. Basically, they have taken the idea that creating a vaccine taking bits of all historical inluenza up to recent and combining. They are currently in Guatemala doing trials. In the lab, it seems to be effective.

What a novel idea. Instead of focusing on one strain and estimating which strain will be virulent in the coming year, the vaccine would protect one from all influenza.
I'd imagine that everyone who was on that plane is being looked at.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Wuhan until recently, but apparently everyone but me has been travelling there.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is becoming the focus - how close is it to you? You have to pay attention and if you start seeing new, second-degree infections (meaning no direct link to the virus except for contact in the local area), it becomes a very real situation for you.

This link has an updated map of suspect cases in the US.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll post the summary for those that don’t want to read it. Keep in mind the summary is based on lots of variables and assumptions. I think a key metric is they only consider air traffic, nothing ground based. Trains present a substantially larger environment for contamination than vehicular, due to the number of people in close quarters. This could be a big Twinkie.

Summary
We are still in the early days of this outbreak and there is much uncertainty in both the scale of the outbreak, as well as key epidemiological information regarding transmission. However, the rapidity of the growth of cases since the recognition of the outbreak is much greater than that observed in outbreaks of either SARS or MERS-CoV. This is consistent with our higher estimates of the reproductive number for this outbreak compared to these other emergent coronaviruses, suggesting that containment or control of this pathogen may be substantially more difficult.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score
In case anyone needs this:

Would purchasing a hazmat suit be an irrational response? Having confirmed cases in Texas seems less than ideal.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Would purchasing a hazmat suit be an irrational response? Having confirmed cases in Texas seems less than ideal.
I already bought 6. If things get going really bad, I'll pull more arse than a Gucci outlet.

Seriously though, I bought them in case I decide to go to impacted areas for media.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 10)

Headlines

Top Bottom