COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes you give media too much credit. They fall asleep at the wheel a lot and it can take a couple hours for a story to really hit overdrive and that was posted minutes after it was released. I assumed it was Diamond Princess people or people that were already in quarantine but the point was it was just a dreadful press release creating more questions than answers.

and sometimes media isnt told something straight-away.

so, since this is now public knowledge....Tulane has had the coronavirus and grant since end of Jan. Yet it was reported on yesterday by local media. 3 weeks AFTER they received the grant along with the strain of virus to start work on it ( Along with Stanford, Yale and Harvard ).

some things arent public until WELL after it happens for whatever reasons.

and sometimes media isnt told something straight-away.

so, since this is now public knowledge....Tulane has had the coronavirus and grant since end of Jan. Yet it was reported on yesterday by local media. 3 weeks AFTER they received the grant along with the strain of virus to start work on it ( Along with Stanford, Yale and Harvard ).

some things arent public until WELL after it happens for whatever reasons.
Exactly. I'm in the media business and make a living beating them to the punch. I break huge stories long before they do consistently. I also understand just how crazy rumors can get in a disaster or when information is limited, even media buys into this at times. There is always a hard to find middle ground in those situations.

Sometimes you give media too much credit. They fall asleep at the wheel a lot and it can take a couple hours for a story to really hit overdrive and that was posted minutes after it was released. I assumed it was Diamond Princess people or people that were already in quarantine but the point was it was just a dreadful press release creating more questions than answers.
I agree the press release was deficient. I don't agree that the major media -- as a collective -- would've fallen asleep on low-hanging fruit like "confirmed 16th-20th U.S. cases". That kind of stuff gets spoon-fed to them ASAP -- they don't have to do Lee-Zurik-type investigative journalism.

Pushback on SARS2 name from the medical community.

I thought COVID-19 was the official official name? Pity no one seems to use it.

"Novel coronavirus" is too long and unwieldy. A little stumped the simple "COVID" hasn't taken off.

I'm a flat earth, 9-11, moon landing hoax, Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorist....or something. :hihi:
Well, there is physical evidence on 9-11 and Kennedy’s assassination. Remember the plan that was “shot down” after taking from New York (I think). People that investigated it came out afterwards (retired) and said they found residue consistent with explosives and people reported see something come up and strike the plane. In the end, who freaking really knows. I am on the road to nowhere and just enjoying the ride.

extra points if someone guesses the band.

In Iran, there have been hospital administrators and doctors saying there has been a widespread outbreak of coronavirus for days now. This was all considered fake news until the Iranian Government finally admitted it as the first two people died hours after testing positive. Then the Iranian Government literally claimed they died simultaneously of old age. Now the same local media is reporting 9 deaths and hundreds of cases of coronavirus but the Iranian Government is claiming 5/2. ...

... and Iran is about as stable as a one legged giraffe.
This is the place I most worry about now. I guess they can lock down on citizens like China has done. But Iran has even more incentive to lie and deceive than China does.

This is the place I most worry about now. I guess they can lock down on citizens like China has done. But Iran has even more incentive to lie and deceive than China does.
Curious, what is the more incentive?

Iran, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong all have a hell of a fight going on. Iran and North Korea will be the two I worry about not getting information on but if travel restrictions to Japan, Hong Kong and Korea pop up then it'll have a huge ripple effect on the economy. If it isn't shut down, most flights in the US to Asia go through Tokyo, Hong Kong and Seoul making it difficult to limit the spread in the US. If those three don't get it under control like right now, then it's going to be extremely difficult. It's already well past what the WHO considers the point of containment.

Last edited:
Curious, what is the more incentive?
I think China, at some point, knows that even the perception of deception will be bad for business long-term. Accordingly ... I think they will essentially come cleaner over time. In the end, they still want to protect their economic relationships with the world at large.

Iranian leadership, on the other hand, is quite content with their rogue state status. There's no "normal relations" to come back to, especially with the U.S.. And aside from all that ... they'll want to protect their petrodollars at all costs.

... Philippines ... have a hell of a fight going on.
Assuming decent numbers, the Phillipines have no active cases right now (3 total, 2 recovered, 1 deceased). Obviously, they have to stay vigilant.

Are you thinking the Phillipines has a lot unreported, too?

Assuming decent numbers, the Phillipines have no active cases right now (3 total, 2 recovered, 1 deceased). Obviously, they have to stay vigilant.

Are you thinking the Phillipines has a lot unreported, too?
No, I'm just an idiot. I started to talk about Philippines as the only country that has seen a rapid onset and been able to stop it but lost though process mid post with a phone call.

I thought COVID-19 was the official official name? Pity no one seems to use it.

"Novel coronavirus" is too long and unwieldy. A little stumped the simple "COVID" hasn't taken off.

COVID-19 is the disease caused by the virus, and that name comes from the WHO. SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus given by the International Committee on the Taxonomy of Viruses.

Yes, it's confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom