COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to make a flight connection through seoul next week (cancelled visit to korea but still need to change planes there to get home)

It's concerning, definitely mask and lots of hand sanitizer etc on the airport/flight. Will head straight up to alaska and self quarantine for a couple of weeks. :dl:

This week or next? Next week might not happen - the US will likely have closed in-bound from ROK by then.

What medicines are you stocking up on?

Non for us. Just vitmains. But for anyone that needs prescription meds they need to be looking to get an extra supply. My mom gets 3 months at a time. But my dad is month to month so I told him to ask his doc to let him get enough for 90 days.

So yesterday, Dr. Tedros director of the WHO refused to rule out the virus came from a biolab. Said one research paper had ruled it out but many more studies would be needed. NYPost, which again, tends to run on the hot side of clickbait just put this out. Like I've said all along, too much coincidence for me to rule it out even though I think it's unlikely. That said, WHO has made a huge shift from calling out people claiming biolab as destructive rumors to not ruling it out. Like I've said before, if it did come from a biolab, I believe it was probably accidental. To think it can't happen is quite naive as during SARS there were 3 different instances in which people were infected from working with the virus in a lab.

I think it’s possible it escaped from the lab - but I think the virology evidence is pretty solid that it is natural, it isn’t an “engineered bioweapon.” It may have been discovered and isolated in the lab for further study, where it then escaped.

But it’s also certainly possible that the lab is a coincidence.

Italy up to 63 cases, including a new case in Piedmont (the big cluster is in Lombardy). Per the BNO tracker.

I think it’s possible it escaped from the lab - but I think the virology evidence is pretty solid that it is natural, it isn’t an “engineered bioweapon.” It may have been discovered and isolated in the lab for further study, where it then escaped.

But it’s also certainly possible that the lab is a coincidence.

I don't think anyone credible is claiming it is engineered at this point. But having it isolated and then escape from the lab is another story. If they found this thing was similar to SARS in its sequence you can bet they probably thought it would make a good bioweapon. They could have easily attempted to infect other animals with it to make it viable in people.

It's quite possible they didn't engineer it in the sense that they used lab techniques to alter the genome. But they could have engineered it in that they played around with attempts at cross infections in other animals that could have then jumped to humans. This would look naturally occurring in the sequence.

Everything above is of course speculation. But at this point we have Tedros and then a few days ago Azar also would not rule out that this came from a lab. They both have said we need more data on it to make a decision. With China's response to the outbreak it really does look suspicious.

Lots of videos of chaos in Iran. I havent seen original source but typically when you see s bunch of vids from an area it's not just some 1 off fake. So form your own opinion.

Lots of videos of chaos in Iran. I havent seen original source but typically when you see s bunch of vids from an area it's not just some 1 off fake. So form your own opinion.

I sure the hell hope this isn’t real....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of volatility in the markets in the coming weeks. The markets have been on a pretty unprecedented and sustained run up since the mess in '07-'08. With all of the headwinds from the virus and associated headline risk, I'd be surprised if we don't see a correction of 10-20%.

I sure the hell hope this isn’t real....

I not only think it's real, this is the tip of the iceberg. Iran is gonna be in a world of hurt for the next 2-3 months at minimum.

It doesn't help that their government is as incompetent as they are when it comes to health care for their citizens.

Italy up to 79. Widespread protests going on in Iran. Schools closing for the entire country of Iran.

Also, Israel now joining China and Iran with government leaders being impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom