COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Italia :

1582519130797.png

So far, in Florence, my sis school was open this am. Grocery was stocked again and she loaded up yet again.

Said 2 classmates from India returned home, a third is expected to return tomorrow. School has said they will not count "abscences so long as this emergency exits"
She keeping vigilant, but planning to go to Switzerland at a moments notice.

I told her be very wary as they will shut down the border and you possibly will be stuck.

There goes that 40-60% number again. When not even Wuhan province is even remotely close to that number. It's just fear mongering at this point. That number was put out there if we people did absolutely nothing to stop the spread of the virus and just let it go unchecked.

Again, the number came from an viral outbreak model. We don't know what the assumptions are built into the model. I'm sure it has some mitigation efforts built-in to it.

But also, I agree it's really useless.

Sister said Florence govt closely monitoring and ready to pull the plug on schools, university, tourist attractions etc. She said her landlord keeping her advised ( since she cannot speak Italian fluently yet ) and will keep me posted.

I just hope they dont close the border and she is basically stuck.

Sister said Florence govt closely monitoring and ready to pull the plug on schools, university, tourist attractions etc. She said her landlord keeping her advised ( since she cannot speak Italian fluently yet ) and will keep me posted.

Twitter has a built-in translator feature. She should find accounts for her local area that are official, verified news, etc. - and read the translated tweets.

I started to read this and got this immediate feeling of dread. In elementary school, there was a Sister Florence who was really mean and everyone was scared of her, which I'm sure was her goal. I can't read anymore of this until it flips to the next page now.

Twitter has a built-in translator feature. She should find accounts for her local area that are official, verified news, etc. - and read the translated tweets.
The number of deaths in Italy indicate they've barely scratched the surface of the number of cases so statistically it should get a lot worse before it gets better. She may consider getting out now but wherever she goes will run the risk of the same thing happening.

problem is at this point what is the WHO going to do? Would declaring a pandemic make you feel better? I’m guessing this stuff has been active in China a whole lot longer than people are saying, allowing travel all over the world before it even became known. And, with the state of the modern world and travel, almost impossible to stop anyway.

This is the sort of stuff that worries me. https://apple.news/AOFy_ebPhQ7ShSn4cw5SEBg

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

Gutting the CDC was never a good thing. Not fully staffing it, along with Trumps questionable appointments makes this all that much more concerning. Not to mention Trump himself who is saying the warm weather will get rid of it. We complain about China, but where is the leadership out of this country? The CDC has pandemic plans and models, yet the state department overrules (bringing back quarantined citizens) and such. Obama wanted 6 billion for Ebola, a disease which would never become an issue in the US, last number I saw was a halfhearted 1 billion for this.

Yep, my problem with what the WHO and CDC is they're changing things up and not following their own SOPs and basically they're completely reactionary instead of acting in the best interest of the global community.

That said, it seems a lot of the global community are doing their own thing and basically ignoring advice from CDC and WHO. They're no longer credible.

I agree Trump picked a bad time to screw with the CDC and the guy in charge there is pretty incompetent. But the train has left the station and someone needs to step up and lead here.

I actually agreed with bringing all of the US citizens back home though. Japan is being taxed enough as it is with the large number of cruise ship passengers still there as well as numerous others getting sick. There are facilities here capable of handling them and that's what's happening currently.

The number of deaths in Italy indicate they've barely scratched the surface of the number of cases so statistically it should get a lot worse before it gets better. She may consider getting out now but wherever she goes will run the risk of the same thing happening.

outside Geneva is where she would go. Well outside Geneva lol.

Thanks will advise. Her landlady is also doing a really good job of keeping her in the loop and letting her know things on a moments notice.

Italy is denying that the 6th death reported is accurate but since then another person in Italy died so it's still at 6.

Viral load has to be huge in Wuhan since its basically the epicenter.

And i would imagine that will be true for every country affected- where the epicenter is, the mortality rate will be higher than outside the center.

problem is at this point what is the WHO going to do? Would declaring a pandemic make you feel better? I’m guessing this stuff has been active in China a whole lot longer than people are saying, allowing travel all over the world before it even became known. And, with the state of the modern world and travel, almost impossible to stop anyway.

This is the sort of stuff that worries me. https://apple.news/AOFy_ebPhQ7ShSn4cw5SEBg

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

Gutting the CDC was never a good thing. Not fully staffing it, along with Trumps questionable appointments makes this all that much more concerning. Not to mention Trump himself who is saying the warm weather will get rid of it. We complain about China, but where is the leadership out of this country? The CDC has pandemic plans and models, yet the state department overrules (bringing back quarantined citizens) and such. Obama wanted 6 billion for Ebola, a disease which would never become an issue in the US, last number I saw was a halfhearted 1 billion for this.
This has been brought up already. 6Billion... that seems excessive to me. What could the CDC do with billions more? Maybe something, maybe nothing. Perhaps this virus will make people realize where this country should spend its money on. I doubt it though cause we keep voting the same two parties in and this country is trillions in debt. And the beat goes on.

Viral load has to be huge in Wuhan since its basically the epicenter.

And i would imagine that will be true for every country affected- where the epicenter is, the mortality rate will be higher than outside the center.

I think 'viral load' refers to concentration of the virus in a given patient's bloodstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom