COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your sister is gonna go, she probably needs to go now.

First chat... "imma bounce"

30 min later... "I'm hunkering down".

See above.

Not cool with it but she heady woman. Trying to find out exactly why the change (besides exposing self at train station or airport)

Didn’t Russia shut that border pretty much straight away?
It’s fairly inhospitable country up there between two historical rivals (even enemies). Was never a frequently-crossed border.

I think I would rather be in Switzerland than Italy.

She worried abt being in Switzerland without health insurance. She has it in Italy. She also has a small network of friends too. While she would be with fam in Switzerland, she would be out of element for her. So I get it.

I'm gonna FedEx her some masks.

And here come the talking heads with “it’s no big deal" because they're worried about political interests.

The thing is, we don't know how big of a deal it is - and certainly the epidemiologists point to a few factors that are very concerning (e.g. the mortality in the higher age groups, the limited residual immunity after infection, and the renal and cardio pathology that may be more damaging in the long-term for recovered patients). Obviously it's a new disease with limited treatment history and because a significant portion of the infected require hospitalization, an outbreak with real numbers can be very problematic for a local or regional healthcare system.

I don't think politics have any business in epidemiology and response. A fairly low mortality doesn't mean it isn't a problem and it is of little solace to the portion of cases that are more severe. I don't want this thing and I definitely don't want my kids or parents to get it. I'd volunteer to get the flu every year for a decade to avoid (them getting) it.

Last edited:
South Korea about to hit 1000 cases, Italy has almost 300. The chart curves are pretty wild but I think Iran probably has far more than both.

And here come the MAGAs with “it’s no big deal" because they're worried a US outbreak will harm the president.

The thing is, we don't know how big of a deal it is - and certainly the epidemiologists point to a few factors that are very concerning (e.g. the mortality in the higher age groups, the limited residual immunity after infection, and the renal and cardio pathology that may be more damaging in the long-term for recovered patients). Obviously it's a new disease with limited treatment history and because a significant portion of the infected require hospitalization, an outbreak with real numbers can be very problematic for a local or regional healthcare system.

I don't think politics have any business in epidemiology and response. A fairly low mortality doesn't mean it isn't a problem and it is of little solace to the portion of cases that are more severe. I don't want this thing and I definitely don't want my kids or parents to get it. I'd volunteer to get the flu every year for a decade to avoid it.
the no big deal applies to all across the political spectrum. Let’s try to not reference MAGAs, Bernie bros, Obama care, JFK, Eisenhower, Jeffersonians, or the Whigs. Trying to keep it light.

I appreciate all you have done for this thread SuperC, I really do.

South Korea about to hit 1000 cases, Italy has almost 300. The chart curves are pretty wild but I think Iran probably has far more than both.

Given how many travelers from Iran are turning up with it - and the fact that high officials are getting it, yeah, it's a major outbreak there.

I'm still finding Japan's numbers hard to believe. If they had a couple of isolated locations that were easily contained, I'd believe it. But their cases are all over the country and not associated with a single event that I'm aware of. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't be seeing a higher growth curve.

the no big deal applies to all across the political spectrum. Let’s try to not reference MAGAs, Bernie bros, Obama care, JFK, Eisenhower, Jeffersonians, or the Whigs. Trying to keep it light.

I appreciate all you have done for this thread SuperC, I really do.

Fair - I'll revise.

I doubt this is one Iranian or Bahrainian super-spreader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom