COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But this is different..." They're all different. That's the flu, it mutates from season to season and within seasons.

"But this could be the big one..." Nope, if and when the BIG ONE comes, it will be over before it even starts. Humans will never know what hit them. The fact that these outbreaks are still relatively limited in scope is telling.

I hate winter, and this is just one reason why.

I'm done with it. These end-of-the-world doomsday scenarios are depressing and completely unhelpful. I'm not a prepper, I decide long ago (about the time of The Road Warrior) that I have no desire to live to live in some post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Y'all knock yourselves out. Rates are low so Imma go buy me a new car :hihi:

Yeah, I'm not a prepper...yet. :hihi: But I do think being prudent regarding travel to countries under a travel alert is the way to go. It doesn't really matter what the virus does if you might not be able to easily get in/out of the country and then not be able to move around freely once in the country. If the government decides to declare a curfew or even martial law, you're pretty much SOL.

Whatever you think of the virus, you still have to consider what's happening wherever you're going.

This is a couple of days old and I meant to post it then. It’s a good comparison of Covid-19 to other outbreaks. Optimists will find reasons to be optimistic. Pessimists will find reasons too.

I'd like to see this again in a month. I suspect that chart is gonna look a good bit different then.

German air base locked down Luftwaffenkaserne Wahn air base in Cologne is in lockdown after a service member came into contact with a critically ill patient with suspected coronavirus,

Iran arrests 24 for 'spreading rumours' Iranian police have arrested 24 people accused of spreading rumours about the coronavirus online, AFP news agency reports. A further 118 internet users were "talked to and let go" with warnings, the head of Iran's cyberpolice force Vahid Majid said. A special unit has been created to combat "rumour-mongers" about the spread of coronavirus, Mr Majid said.

London office block evacuated Earlier US oil company Chevron closed its London office in the Canary Wharf area after two workers displayed symptoms. Later other offices in the building at Westferry Circus sent staff home over coronavirus fears.

I say any transoceanic flight just de pressurize
The cabin. See if the virus likes it at 40,000 feet and minus 70 degrees.

Need to do some catchin up.

First death in France, 3 new cases in France
2nd case in Madrid, 3 new cases in Spain
7 new cases in Kuwait, all travel from Iran
New case in Canada, travler from Iran
New death in Italy
New death in Japan
2 new cases in Singapore

I think Iran is about to make Wuhan (and China) look really, really good.

I think Iran sees a complete collapse of the medical system within a week, 2 at the most. Will bring a lot more instabiility to an unstable country likely resulting in widespread protest, some violent. Death toll in Iran will push 10% in a few weeks.

They lack the PPE to protect medical workers with will speed up the spread, particularly among the sick and elderly, they lack ventalators to keep people alive, they lack capacity and will to test (still testing more than USA) and there is a great deal of mistrust between government and people. It's a slow motion bomb going off right now.

This one bears close watching. If it starts spreading here warm weather may not be a deterrent.
I think Brazil will pick up a few more cases but wont see widespread person to person spread. If it does blossom out of control it's really bad news for the globe and I can trash my forecast and data. If it they continue to get a few cases then it reinforces my forecast a lot and it's great news. It may be weeks before we know though.

Need to do some catchin up.

First death in France, 3 new cases in France
Second death in France, correct? Though the first one was a traveler from China, it's always been on France's tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom