COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse as in number of infected or severity of illness? that is the question. And without proper reporting, everyone is left to speculate.
Yes but most people have no idea what bad on a national scale is let alone global. Anytime it's YOUR home town people think it's way worse than it is on a much larger scale. That is the case with natural disasters at least, I cant imagine it would be any different with disease. So if you csnt rely on Government and Government makes media unreliable then who the hell knows.

Now you get this from the NY Post. Problem with the post is they will often error to the side of clicks and who is saying these are dead bodies?

Now you get this from the NY Post. Problem with the post is they will often error to the side of clicks and who is saying these are dead bodies?

Supposedly a nurse from Wuhan.

But leaving questionable info aside, it is clear that the situation in Wuhan is forked up. It has been reported by the BBC, NYT, and SCMP (Hong Kong) that medical staffs in Wuhan are at the breaking point - supplies are limited and the patient number is overwhelming. Beijing has dispatched hundreds of military medical personnel to assist and they're building a new hospital. The reality is that there thousands if not tens of thousands of cases there. And I think there are likely a much higher number of fatalities than can't be reported until they are confirmed cases.

When talking about numbers and thousands of infected and media coverage, one thing to keep in mind:

Everyone remembers the huge media coverage of SARS and when it was happening the world was definitely on edge. By the time SARS wasdone spreading there were 9000 cases worldwide.

If there are 10's of thousands infected with this its a HUGE deal. Im hoping its just hysteria again like SARS and MERS

When talking about numbers and thousands of infected and media coverage, one thing to keep in mind:

Everyone remembers the huge media coverage of SARS and when it was happening the world was definitely on edge. By the time SARS wasdone spreading there were 9000 cases worldwide.

If there are 10's of thousands infected with this its a HUGE deal. Im hoping its just hysteria again like SARS and MERS
Well if we are comparing it to SARS you have to also keep in mind that we've had twice the confirmed number of cases in half the amount of time and the numbers are increasing almost 50% per day the last 3 days. It took SARS almost 3 months to hit 900 confirmed cases.

Well if we are comparing it to SARS you have to also keep in mind that we've had twice the confirmed number of cases in half the amount of time and the numbers are increasing almost 50% per day the last 3 days. It took SARS almost 3 months to hit 900 confirmed cases.

Just pointing out (already been said but) SARS killed 10% and MERS killed 1/3. At this point, Wuhan is not nearly as severe.

if China is telling us the truth
I wouldn't trust China as far as I could throw a bull by the horns,but we do have some reliable information. 25 out of 26 deaths were
elderly. That's pretty much what you'd expect from a normal flu that happens every year. The youngest victim is a 36 year old man
who suffered a heart attack 2 hours prior to being admitted to the hospital. I'd bet coronary artery disease was the biggest factor. The
real issue is will the virus morph into something far more deadly. Chuck covered that in detail a few pages back.

I wouldn't trust China as far as I could throw a bull by the horns,but we do have some reliable information. 25 out of 26 deaths were
elderly. That's pretty much what you'd expect from a normal flu that happens every year. The youngest victim is a 36 year old man
who suffered a heart attack 2 hours prior to being admitted to the hospital. I'd bet coronary artery disease was the biggest factor. The
real issue is will the virus morph into something far more deadly. Chuck covered that in detail a few pages back.

There was also a 48 year old but he had recently had a stroke and was in poor health.

I don’t think the China numbers are accurate - but I’m willing to accept that it might be because the cases aren’t confirmed by a test yet. But the Chinese have a record of being opaque about this stuff. Trust has to be earned.

Just pointing out (already been said but) SARS killed 10% and MERS killed 1/3. At this point, Wuhan is not nearly as severe.
Yes, going off the numbers we have now but many of those confirmed sick may still die or have died and it hasnt been confirmed yet. It doesnt have to be nearly as bad to be far worse than SARS or MERS. The scary part is how fast and far it has spread in so little time which means we could exponential rates of spread if it really gets going.

Yes, going off the numbers we have now but many of those confirmed sick may still die or have died and it hasnt been confirmed yet. It doesnt have to be nearly as bad to be far worse than SARS or MERS. The scary part is how fast and far it has spread in so little time which means we could exponential rates of spread if it really gets going.

Yeah, for the infected, it's a slow mover. The Lancet analysis above says the mortality could be as high as 15% when it's all done.

I think for the spread / contagion question, the key is going to be how easily it spreads with individual carriers in uninfected locations. If we don't see second and third degree infections in these other countries, that will be a good sign. Provided that it doesn't keep escaping China. But if we start seeing infections in these other countries - that aren't directly Wuhan related - it's big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom