COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, 15 confirmed deaths occurred 30 minutes after closing bell. Another sign the information isnt very transparent. Wasnt it just 48 hours ago the death toll was at 6?

Also, this is a bit terrifying and may be closer to the truth

Ok, I know it's not a matter of if, but when, a virus goes off and we have a major global outbreak. Each time I click on this thread, it seems like things are becoming more and more dire. Am I reading things right? Are we on the "oh, this is very bad" trajectory yet or is it still just a little too early to tell?

Well much like the virus and Media coverage this thread has blown up. The secret powers are at work and are using the media generate panic. Eeyore you were way ahead at the curb on this.

Ok, I know it's not a matter of if, but when, a virus goes off and we have a major global outbreak. Each time I click on this thread, it seems like things are becoming more and more dire. Am I reading things right? Are we on the "oh, this is very bad" trajectory yet or is it still just a little too early to tell?
We're in the "wait and see" phase. It could be catastrophic, it could be not a huge deal globally. I think in about a week we will have a much better idea of where this is headed.

We're in the "wait and see" phase. It could be catastrophic, it could be not a huge deal globally. I think in about a week we will have a much better idea of where this is headed.
This.

It's so hard to tell because of the lack of trust in the Chinese Government. If the videos we are seeing on social media are all coronavirus then it's going to be a massive problem. If it is fear driving people to the clinics then it's probably something like SARS.

40 million people being quarantined, hospitals being overrun, healthcare workers and supplies being shipped and most of the 1300 cases being no worse than the flu seems like it's a whole lot bigger than what is being presented.

Chinese media seems to be actually acting like free media all the sudden. Pretty grim picture being painted. The wait to get tested is days to weeks long.

Doctor treating patients has now died from the virus, not included in latest death toll.

Plane from China to Singapore grounded after passengers from Wuhan failed medical screening, the entire plane is quarantined.

13 cities, totaling 41 million now under quarantine. That is more than the population of Canada. Roads are now being barricaded with earthen materials in some places to insure nobody gets through.

People in Chinatown in NYC are buying up medical masks and beginning to hoard supplies after a couple of suspected cases in the area are being monitored.

Suspected cases are expected to be in the hundreds in the USA over next day or two.

Mumbai and New Delhi now have numerous suspected cases. Both are top 5 in world most populated cities with overcrowding and sanitation concerns.

Doctors in Wuhan are saying the 1000 bed hospital being built would be overrun in minutes if it opened today and will not put a dent in the crisis.

I think we global panic set in next week tbh.

Chinese media seems to be actually acting like free media all the sudden. Pretty grim picture being painted. The wait to get tested is days to weeks long.

Doctor treating patients has now died from the virus, not included in latest death toll.

Plane from China to Singapore grounded after passengers from Wuhan failed medical screening, the entire plane is quarantined.

13 cities, totaling 41 million now under quarantine. That is more than the population of Canada. Roads are now being barricaded with earthen materials in some places to insure nobody gets through.

People in Chinatown in NYC are buying up medical masks and beginning to hoard supplies after a couple of suspected cases in the area are being monitored.

Suspected cases are expected to be in the hundreds in the USA over next day or two.

Mumbai and New Delhi now have numerous suspected cases. Both are top 5 in world most populated cities with overcrowding and sanitation concerns.

Doctors in Wuhan are saying the 1000 bed hospital being built would be overrun in minutes if it opened today and will not put a dent in the crisis.

I think we global panic set in next week tbh.

I agree this is a possible scenario - but it still depends on secondary infections outside of China. If we don’t start seeing those, this remains contained. Not ideal or good, but contained to that unfortunate part of eastern China.

Is it normal to make people pay to evacuate in situations like this? This seems like something our tax dollars would cover. Also by "non-staff" does that include the family of staff? This just seems strange and all outlets are reporting it.

Who knows? That said the flu strain making it's yearly round in the USA is far more deadly than the wuhan virus.

It’s not far more deadly as a matter of rate. Lethality is measured as a rate of deaths per infection. I think the annual flu varies but kills <.5%. We don’t know the rate for Wuhan but it looks certainly higher than that, and some analysis suggests it will end up being between 5% and 15%.

Is it normal to make people pay to evacuate in situations like this? This seems like something our tax dollars would cover. Also by "non-staff" does that include the family of staff? This just seems strange and all outlets are reporting it.

I suspect that means US citizens in Wuhan but not associated with the federal government - but not sure. But I think deployed feds (e.g. State and DOD) probably get travel for their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom