COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never heard of Wuhan until recently, but apparently everyone but me has been travelling there.

This is becoming the focus - how close is it to you? You have to pay attention and if you start seeing new, second-degree infections (meaning no direct link to the virus except for contact in the local area), it becomes a very real situation for you.

This link has an updated map of suspect cases in the US.

I’ll post the summary for those that don’t want to read it. Keep in mind the summary is based on lots of variables and assumptions. I think a key metric is they only consider air traffic, nothing ground based. Trains present a substantially larger environment for contamination than vehicular, due to the number of people in close quarters. This could be a big Twinkie.

Summary
We are still in the early days of this outbreak and there is much uncertainty in both the scale of the outbreak, as well as key epidemiological information regarding transmission. However, the rapidity of the growth of cases since the recognition of the outbreak is much greater than that observed in outbreaks of either SARS or MERS-CoV. This is consistent with our higher estimates of the reproductive number for this outbreak compared to these other emergent coronaviruses, suggesting that containment or control of this pathogen may be substantially more difficult.

In case anyone needs this:

Would purchasing a hazmat suit be an irrational response? Having confirmed cases in Texas seems less than ideal.

Would purchasing a hazmat suit be an irrational response? Having confirmed cases in Texas seems less than ideal.
I already bought 6. If things get going really bad, I'll pull more arse than a Gucci outlet.

Seriously though, I bought them in case I decide to go to impacted areas for media.

I most definetly prefer overkill to underkill, and practicality has never been my strong suit.

I say go for it. I ordered a box of medical gloves, masks, and hospital-grade disinfectant from Amazon. They’re not that expensive so if you don’t need them, store them for the next global outbreak. When the run starts you’ll be ahead of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom