COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a question for consideration: do you think an emergency order for a limited suspension HIPAA to allow the sharing of patient medical information (except for name and physical address) for cases of suspected or confirmed coronavirus would be appropriate?

To be clear, I don’t mean now - I mean in the event of multiple public transmission clusters developing in the US. We’re nowhere near that right now.

But Information sharing is critical in confronting an outbreak - and I have seen how insanely prudent medical providers can be about sharing info in the name of HIPAA compliance. It seems to me that getting ahead of that issue by clearing providers to be more candid about the cases would be helpful.

There is already infectious disease reporting protocols. I don’t think there is any HIPPA requirements that would need to be waived/suspended to still carry out effective reporting or a quarantine. Is there something specific you think that would prevent reporting?

OMG *facepalm* A friend on my FB feed just said, "This deadly virus is spreading and truthfully I wouldn’t want to fly or cruise anywhere." One of her college-educated friends responded to her....

... I am NOT kidding....

"Stay away from chinese food too"

OMG *facepalm* A friend on my FB feed just said, "This deadly virus is spreading and truthfully I wouldn’t want to fly or cruise anywhere." One of her college-educated friends responded to her....

... I am NOT kidding....

I get the no elective flying/cruise take because its the actual respiratory season and that's good common sense. As for the Chinese food? That's ummm almost Irish levels of stupidstition.

... I am NOT kidding....

are you sure she wasn't making a joke?

... I am NOT kidding....

People are dumb and I aint giving up my Asian food no matter what.

... I am NOT kidding....

College education and common sense are not mutually exclusive

Some optimistic news on the vaccine development front.

I work in clinical development in stem cell & gene therapy. My boss has been doing this stuff a long time. I showed him this article and asked if he'd seen it (we are also in San Diego). His response:

"True, but marketing fluff. It would take me 5 minutes to design an effective vaccine for this (just use the capsid sequence). I assume they just put the capsid sequencing in their plasmid vector... It is all the next steps that take all the time."

For whatever that is worth to you guys.

I work in clinical development in stem cell & gene therapy. My boss has been doing this stuff a long time. I showed him this article and asked if he'd seen it (we are also in San Diego). His response:

"True, but marketing fluff. It would take me 5 minutes to design an effective vaccine for this (just use the capsid sequence). I assume they just put the capsid sequencing in their plasmid vector... It is all the next steps that take all the time."

For whatever that is worth to you guys.

That makes sense. Getting vaccines or any other meds to market takes a long time because of all the red tape they have to go through. I guess the real question is what kind of side effects it will have.

I don't have any idea what expidited timelines would be for the FDA to approve the vaccine. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom