COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the flu twice in the last 20 years. Never had a flu shot before. Weird.

Not saying people shouldn't get the shot. Just never was something I did.
I think people need to know what works for them. For me the shot is not needed, but for others perhaps so.

From a friend of mine living in Shanghai.

So here’s an update on what’s happening to me in China...maybe a bit of a ramble. So far in Shanghai things are not too bad. The local markets are open and I can get things like groceries delivered without much trouble (even beer). Delivery is more slow than usual and I have to go to the gate of my apartment complex to pick things up instead of coming right to my door. A lot of restaurants are closed right now, but I’m not keen on going out anyway. It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming week. Many places have been closed for the holiday (my work included) and the government extended that for an extra week, so many people are just now returning to the city. Things will start opening back up this week, but probably not everything. Temperature checks are everywhere , going into the markets and when I return to the apartment complex, always someone with a laser scanner to check you. If you have a fever...I’m not sure what happens but everyone will know about it. Many places require masks, which are difficult to get. My work is encouraging us to work at home this week, which I will happily be doing, if nothing else to avoid the confusion of the first few days when everyone returns to work. Lots of rules coming at work that basically encourage you not to stay be in groups and such (don’t eat in groups, don’t have meetings in person, don’t use the elevator for floors below 6...) There are a lot of transportation restrictions on people coming from certain provinces into Shanghai. The government is very good at tracking where you are are and where you have been. For example I was on a train a couple of weeks ago and I can check to see if anyone else on that train was infected (no one was). Honestly it’s not too scary yet, but things might change a lot when people start going back to work. The biggest thing is that Shanghai feels like a ghost town, millions of people staying inside, not because they have to, but because they want to. So difficult to stay at home instead of enjoying the city life, but until this is over that life won’t exist anyway. Public places like parks, zoos, cinemas, even Disneyland are all closed. Just stay at home. Luckily my apartment and my life are filled with half-finished hobbies. I’m not bored. My work gave us the option to return to the US if I wanted to. I am choosing to stay at this time, partiality because I don’t think the risk is too high, partially because this is where my life is right now. If I went back to the US I would just be worrying about my friends and colleagues here. It would probably be hard to get back anytime soon. I am confident China will beat this. Want to know more? I’ve got plenty of time to talk about it.
Friend in Hong Kong said pretty much the same thing. It isn't as dead as Shanghai but he said it's slow enough for it to be really weird. He sent me some video tonight, they have been out of toilet paper all over Hong Kong for more than a week. One store got a huge shipment in today and it was cleaned out in an hour. While the TP was there it was chaos, long lines, etc but an hour later the store was completely empty. pretty weird.

From a friend of mine living in Shanghai.

So here’s an update on what’s happening to me in China...maybe a bit of a ramble. So far in Shanghai things are not too bad. The local markets are open and I can get things like groceries delivered without much trouble (even beer). Delivery is more slow than usual and I have to go to the gate of my apartment complex to pick things up instead of coming right to my door. A lot of restaurants are closed right now, but I’m not keen on going out anyway. It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming week. Many places have been closed for the holiday (my work included) and the government extended that for an extra week, so many people are just now returning to the city. Things will start opening back up this week, but probably not everything. Temperature checks are everywhere , going into the markets and when I return to the apartment complex, always someone with a laser scanner to check you. If you have a fever...I’m not sure what happens but everyone will know about it. Many places require masks, which are difficult to get. My work is encouraging us to work at home this week, which I will happily be doing, if nothing else to avoid the confusion of the first few days when everyone returns to work. Lots of rules coming at work that basically encourage you not to stay be in groups and such (don’t eat in groups, don’t have meetings in person, don’t use the elevator for floors below 6...) There are a lot of transportation restrictions on people coming from certain provinces into Shanghai. The government is very good at tracking where you are are and where you have been. For example I was on a train a couple of weeks ago and I can check to see if anyone else on that train was infected (no one was). Honestly it’s not too scary yet, but things might change a lot when people start going back to work. The biggest thing is that Shanghai feels like a ghost town, millions of people staying inside, not because they have to, but because they want to. So difficult to stay at home instead of enjoying the city life, but until this is over that life won’t exist anyway. Public places like parks, zoos, cinemas, even Disneyland are all closed. Just stay at home. Luckily my apartment and my life are filled with half-finished hobbies. I’m not bored. My work gave us the option to return to the US if I wanted to. I am choosing to stay at this time, partiality because I don’t think the risk is too high, partially because this is where my life is right now. If I went back to the US I would just be worrying about my friends and colleagues here. It would probably be hard to get back anytime soon. I am confident China will beat this. Want to know more? I’ve got plenty of time to talk about it.

Nice read! ?. Thanks ?

I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice, but the sinus congestion might actually be a good sign. Coronavirus targets the lungs and thats where you should have issues first through a cough or trouble breathiung. I can't see any mention of nasal congestion being a reported symptom.

Mother of god

FTA:

“Mr West said the captain had told them seven other planes at Heathrow also had suspected cases of coronavirus on board”

Well, fwiw, all of those were suspected cases. As far as I know, none have been confirmed. Hopefully it stays that way.

Mother of god

FTA:

“Mr West said the captain had told them seven other planes at Heathrow also had suspected cases of coronavirus on board”

I think UK has a brewing problem. It might not blow up but there are several strands of possible contact with the infection that aren’t being effectively contained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom