COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is concerning - a doctor in Saudi Arabia has tested positive. Story doesn’t detail how it might have gotten there.

Yeah, something isn't adding up. The quarantine of 3 cities with multiple large hospitals being overrun, spreading to 7 countries in a matter of a few weeks but only 640 cases certainly seems odd.

Yeah, something isn't adding up. The quarantine of 3 cities with multiple large hospitals being overrun, spreading to 7 countries in a matter of a few weeks but only 640 cases certainly seems odd.

Models are showing between 4K and 9K cases at this point.

But you certainly know the difference between models and reality better than most I suspect.

i guess the question for Dr. Yi is "why" are you scared?

Is it the issue of ease of transmission/inability to contain or is it that PLUS the thought the virus may mutate into something more sinister than just pneumonia ?

Im leaning toward the former since the topic was containment. And i think that is every infectious disease scientist worst fear. inability to contain.

Man, this burns me up so much.

So stupid.

Trump has long held a negative view of "international aid" and involvement in international activities - married up with the view the scientists are just liberals in a lab-coat, it makes for some really idiotic policy decisions.

Viruses don't give a crap about national borders and pretending science isn't real doesn't make it go away.

i guess the question for Dr. Yi is "why" are you scared?

Is it the issue of ease of transmission/inability to contain or is it that PLUS the thought the virus may mutate into something more sinister than just pneumonia ?

Im leaning toward the former since the topic was containment. And i think that is every infectious disease scientist worst fear. inability to contain.

Yeah, I think that's right. Or perhaps more precisely, the realization that it transmits P2P quite easily and we're coming to this understanding well after the virus has escaped containment.

But mutation is the wild card. Right now, it seems the illness is fairly manageable. We know it had to mutate to go P2P, and we know coronavirus mutate relatively easily. A mutation to a more lethal form is the nightmare scenario.

Snake theory under criticism. It actually makes much more sense to be bat originated.

So stupid.

Trump has long held a negative view of "international aid" and involvement in international activities - married up with the view the scientists are just liberals in a lab-coat, it makes for some really idiotic policy decisions.

Viruses don't give a crap about national borders and pretending science isn't real doesn't make it go away.

I don't think that this thread should get political but this is, somewhat, relevant.

But you certainly know the difference between models and reality better than most I suspect.
It has to be due to the long incubation period. Many infected that weren't known.

However, this seems to be more like a cold that has a high chance of turning into bronchitis/pneumonia. Immune deficient and the elderly are the risk populations.

Wash your hands (~20 seconds), consider having a medical mask on you if you travel on a plane. Bring a small bottle of sanitizer for when you can't use soap and water.

I think we have to temper China's containment to how the US would contain a serious disease. This isn't Ebola.

So stupid.

While it is a valid point, let's save this kind of discussion for the other site.

I don't think that this thread should get political but this is, somewhat, relevant.

In fairness, Ebola is a coin flip for life or death while Wuhan has been like a bad case of the flu. Also cancelling flights from China is a lot more complicated than West Africa. Not that any of that really matters. In politics, the way of the world is to simply take the opposite stance of your opponent on everything no matter what.

Models are extremely unreliable but I trust them far more than the Chinese Gov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom