COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the discussion here needs to about breaking down borders and national boundaries - this isn't a domestic issue, it's global. There should be condemnation about the cover up and perhaps litigation allowed, or some sort of legal accountability brought to the proverbial table. With the amount of control that China has over its population, there's no way this could have happened without some sort of higher administration knowing.

In cases like this, where a potential epidemic can go worldwide, and data/containment is absolutely critical, then there must be some sort of recourse that other nations can take in the interest of global health and their own citizens.

This was never going to be a Chinese-only issue.

And could have been contained, perhaps even by now, with clearer information and transparency.

Three other people have been admitted to ERs here with symptoms, but turned out to be just the regular flu.
How though?

China wont even crack down on the illegal animal markets that are behind all the problems from the very beginning. Outside of a disease that absolutely decimates the Chinese they wont change. The international community would probably have to pressure them through sanctions and that would send the global economy into a tailspin. If the economy goes into a tailspin then the world's elections will punish those for creating the sanctions. This is just another case of the world needing to take it's medicine and we've seen how that goes in the past. Unfortunately it's going to take something really extreme to happen in order to make something happen.

How though?

China wont even crack down on the illegal animal markets that are behind all the problems from the very beginning. Outside of a disease that absolutely decimates the Chinese they wont change. The international community would probably have to pressure them through sanctions and that would send the global economy into a tailspin. If the economy goes into a tailspin then the world's elections will punish those for creating the sanctions. This is just another case of the world needing to take it's medicine and we've seen how that goes in the past. Unfortunately it's going to take something really extreme to happen in order to make something happen.

I have no idea. I have no answers - this isn't my paygrade. But it's something that world leaders and the UN should be discussing. I have no idea what the diplomacy would look like, but if it can't be over this then China could effectively be a rogue state because the rest of the world is paralyzed with no recourse?

I don't buy that, either. As I said, I've no idea what the actual options are - but I'm a dummy and that doesn't mean that there are none.

I have no idea. I have no answers - this isn't my paygrade. But it's something that world leaders and the UN should be discussing. I have no idea what the diplomacy would look like, but if it can't be over this then China could effectively be a rogue state because the rest of the world is paralyzed with no recourse?

I don't buy that, either. As I said, I've no idea what the actual options are - but I'm a dummy and that doesn't mean that there are none.
Maybe the answer is........tariffs. :hihi:

Fifth case - this one in Arizona. Patient had been to Wuhan.

Love the way the CDC slips in the number of US cases doubled in the shadow of the Kobe news. I feel like a conspiracy theorist but the timing on a lot of things is off.

Love the way the CDC slips in the number of US cases doubled in the shadow of the Kobe news. I feel like a conspiracy theorist but the timing on a lot of things is off.

Not really sure what you mean. I doubt the CDC is moved in the least by the Kobe story - they’ve got a situation on their hands. Plus the LA case was first announced by LA authorities a couple of hours ago.

Not really sure what you mean. I doubt the CDC is moved in the least by the Kobe story - they’ve got a situation on their hands. Plus the LA case was first announced by LA authorities a couple of hours ago.
Wait, thought these were new cases.

Hadn't paid much attention to this, but after reading this thread, I'm paying attention. I live in metro DC and I take the metro to and from work in DC every day. Debating whether I should wear a mask. Saw a few masks here and there last week, but I'm sure I'll see many, many more this week.

Hadn't paid much attention to this, but after reading this thread, I'm paying attention. I live in metro DC and I take the metro to and from work in DC every day. Debating whether I should wear a mask. Saw a few masks here and there last week, but I'm sure I'll see many, many more this week.

Masks aren’t really that effective except for close contact with suspect people. Read this:

Masks aren’t really that effective except for close contact with suspect people. Read this:

Thanks for the heads up.

I think I would. I'll probably start wearing a mask during my commute. And I drive myself.

Took 2 months after the 2nd outbreak in two decades for China to ban wild animal trade temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom