COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second Canadian case - wife of the first case, she was with him in Wuhan so this isn't a second degree infection.

I'm seeing new cases in Sri Lanka, Macau, and Cambodia - but all had been in Wuhan.

What sources are you using to get updates?

Twitter for the finding and then source quality-control and then, sometimes, additional Googling for confirmation.

I'm basically just regularly sifting through Twitter searches. Of course, you can only rely on certain categories of accounts (news and journalists that are credible, national health services accounts, certain academics, etc.).

Twitter for the finding and then source quality-control and then, sometimes, additional Googling for confirmation.

I'm basically just regularly sifting through Twitter searches. Of course, you can only rely on certain categories of accounts (news and journalists that are credible, national health services accounts, certain academics, etc.).

Yeah, I'm just not much of a Twitter user. Can't remember the last time I logged in. My son reads reddit regularly, so sometimes he'll pass on something interesting. I tend to get most of my current/breaking news here. Thanks.

Ecuador appears to have it's first case, also a person from Wuhan.

Seeing some stuff on reddit that a teacher in Canada is claiming that one of her students was on the same plane last week as the couple from Wuhan that have been confirmed. She is stating the child is now sick but has not been tested. If true, it really is interesting to see how these secondary sickness cases are being handled. So far, very few tests have been done on anyone that hasn't been in Wuhan. As Chuck has suggested, the secondary infections are going to be the ones that are telling but they aren't showing up and they aren't being tested.

Yeah, I'm just not much of a Twitter user. Can't remember the last time I logged in. My son reads reddit regularly, so sometimes he'll pass on something interesting. I tend to get most of my current/breaking news here. Thanks.

We'll do the work for you.

But these days, Twitter is unmatched when it comes to speed and distribution for news gathering. You just have to have a refined skill of information Twitter equality assessment and you have to consider given the speed of info there, it's not always accurate.

Ecuador appears to have it's first case, also a person from Wuhan.

Seeing some stuff on reddit that a teacher in Canada is claiming that one of her students was on the same plane last week as the couple from Wuhan that have been confirmed. She is stating the child is now sick but has not been tested. If true, it really is interesting to see how these secondary sickness cases are being handled. So far, very few tests have been done on anyone that hasn't been in Wuhan. As Chuck has suggested, the secondary infections are going to be the ones that are telling but they aren't showing up and they aren't being tested.

I wonder if the longer period of time is takes for symptoms to show up will affect how long it takes to start seeing secondary cases. With it being contagious before symptoms show is concerning and maybe need to wait and see before making any sort of call on the status of the epidemic. Just a thought.

I find it hard to get too rung up over any of these be it SARS, Swine Flu, or what have you, when the plain old flu kills 32,000-60,000 annually in the US alone.

Wash your hands, avoid crowded places, and use bleach wipes on grocery cart handles.

I wonder if the longer period of time is takes for symptoms to show up will affect how long it takes to start seeing secondary cases. With it being contagious before symptoms show is concerning and maybe need to wait and see before making any sort of call on the status of the epidemic. Just a thought.
Well, in order to confirm secondary cases we have to test for them and right now we are not. Problem is, the testing has to be sent to CDC or a single lab in China so all resources for testing are backed up. Hard to justify testing the secondary cases that are being watched when they can't keep up with the primary. Tests that can be delivered to state and regional labs will speed up that process some but that is still a few weeks away.

If there is a bright side, it's that Wuhan will at the very least remind the world how vulnerable we really are to a novel virus and leave us better prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom