COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to get too rung up over any of these be it SARS, Swine Flu, or what have you, when the plain old flu kills 32,000-60,000 annually in the US alone.

Wash your hands, avoid crowded places, and use bleach wipes on grocery cart handles.

Flu might kill 60,000 in a year where between 20M and 45M get the flu.

SARS kills 10% of its victims - so at the same rate of infection, you'd have between 200K and 450K die from it. MERS kills 37%. In its virology, Wuhan is much more similar to SARS and MERS than it is to annual flu.

What's why Wuhan is absolutely worth getting rung up over. It's not influenza and we can't draw from our bank of virology, immunology, treatment, etc. from flu when it comes to fighting coronavirus . . . of which there are only seven known to infect humans (this being the seventh - and it's novel, so we have to invent much of what we do with it).

I think it's looking more manageable today than it was last week, but we'll see - the long incubation period is troubling. But because coronaviruses can be such a problem, we have be aggressive when they emerge. Disregarding a novel coronavirus because it doesn't seem to be very lethal in the first month of cases is foolish.

If there is a bright side, it's that Wuhan will at the very least remind the world how vulnerable we really are to a novel virus and leave us better prepared.

Really thought H1N1, SARS, MERS, ....did that.

I hope you are right. There is nothing that can wipe out a population like a novel virus ( or bacteria ).

Hardly the most reliable source, but here you go: Chinese whistleblower claims 90,000 sick.

I don't 100% trust the guy who posted this on Facebook, I don't trust the NY Post, and I don't trust Chinese medical authorities, so a triple-whammy. But draw your own conclusions.

Flu might kill 60,000 in a year where between 20M and 45M get the flu.

SARS kills 10% of its victims - so at the same rate of infection, you'd have between 200K and 450K die from it. MERS kills 37%. In its virology, Wuhan is much more similar to SARS and MERS than it is to annual flu.

What's why Wuhan is absolutely worth getting rung up over. It's not influenza and we can't draw from our bank of virology, immunology, treatment, etc. from flu when it comes to fighting coronavirus . . . of which there are only seven known to infect humans (this being the seventh - and it's novel, so we have to invent much of what we do with it).

I think it's looking more manageable today than it was last week, but we'll see - the long incubation period is troubling. But because coronaviruses can be such a problem, we have be aggressive when they emerge. Disregarding a novel coronavirus because it doesn't seem to be very lethal in the first month of cases is foolish.
I get what you're saying regarding mortality rates but neither SARS nor MERS have caused over 1,000 fatalities worldwide since their inception. Perhaps the transmission rates are lower than feared?

Again, the flu kills many, many more worldwide, and we still seem to be at a loss as to how to control/prevent it. My concern is more along the lines of a supervirus that transmits and mutates way faster than we can come up with cures and controls. Literally 90% of the population wiped out in a matter of weeks.

What was the book that ended with "it was just the flu" stamped in the beach sand by some of the last survivors?

I'll apologize for the downbeat tone of recent posts. Ironically, I've been fighting a cold for the last 3-4 days which as left me with that persistent nagging, annoying, dry cough :hihi:

I posted about this several days ago, check my history. Disclosure: this a Bezos owned paper.
Update: I was incorrect. Bezos owns the Washington Post.

Last edited:

I posted about this several days ago, check my history. Disclosure: this a Bezos owned paper.

No, the Washington Times is not owned by Jeff Bezos. It is a paper that has a history of publishing fringe or conspiracy theories. At times, it can have reasonably decent coverage of US politics from a right/conservative perspective but it is not a reliable source for actual news and information.

Yes, Wuhan has a Level 4 lab. I have read the Israeli analyst's comments - he doesn't really say there's evidence this virus came from the lab . . . only that it's possible given its proximity and history.

The Washington Times is owned by Operation Holdings Inc, which is owned and managed by the Unification Movement.

Throughout its history, The Washington Times has been known for its conservative political stance.[6][7][8][9] It has drawn controversy for publishing racist content, including commentary and conspiracy theories about United States president Barack Obama[10][11] and support for neo-Confederatism.[12] It has published material promoting Islamophobia.[13] It has published many columns which reject the scientific consensus on climate change,[14][15][16] as well as on ozone depletion[17] and on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke.[18][19]

Times, Post, it's all the same thing.

Having read both a fairly good bit, the Times and Post are completely different animals. The only thing they have in common is that they print newspapers and have a digital media presence. Other than that, they're sharks and bats.

Germany got its first confirmed case today.

CDC announced that there are 110 suspected cases in the US that are awaiting test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom