WWL Fans First Take (About Davenport and Hendrickson) (1 Viewer)

I saw Davenport slip a few times today as well. I blame natural grass. :)
He probably needed longer cleats.

I’ll say what I said before: first, he’s a learner and what you see in practice versus the game is night and day.

Second, Davenport had 2 QB hits, a half sack and another pressure. He played very well. Hendrickson is coming into his own and playing well but that ought not be utilized to discredit Davenport’s fine play.

I’ll say what I said before: first, he’s a learner and what you see in practice versus the game is night and day.

Second, Davenport had 2 QB hits, a half sack and another pressure. He played very well. Hendrickson is coming into his own and playing well but that ought not be utilized to discredit Davenport’s fine play.
The half sack was the result of numerous other players disrupting the play. The play was broken, and the QB ran towards Davenport. He didn't really do anything special on the play that he got the half sack. I noticed one pressure, but Hendrickson had several more. Davenport also gave up contain badly when he crashed inside, and I didn't think he was very impressive in general.

On the SD TD, Davenport was on the QB in a flash and would have pummeled him had the safety not misread the coverage, allowing the QB to float one before getting pounded.

Seriously, watch how fast he’s on him and forces the throw.

Not his fault the back end didn’t read it correctly.
He was unblocked, he should get there fast. Kind of like when Easton whiffed on a block against Tillery and got Bridgewater killed.

He was unblocked, he should get there fast. Kind of like when Easton whiffed on a block against Tillery and got Bridgewater killed.
That was Easton that got Clark hurt?

Thought Hill was in for that?

I'm pulling for Davenport & I think he can be great for us. But I'm glad to see Hendrickson playing like a madman. But I think it's just the difference of their time in so called "big time football''. They both came from non power conferences & they both made names for themselves by being unblockable. The difference right now is Hendrickson isn't worrying about technique & over thinking his game. He's just playing football the way it's meant to be played- wide open. Davenport needs to just go along with the coaches & when his time on the field comes say screw that garbage & do what got him drafted. Play like he knows he needs to play to be the most effective. And not let the coaching become a hindrance to him. If he does that, he will be successful. If not, he will become another mediocre player who allowed the league to get to him.

Hendrickson has a fairly low ceiling.

Hungry, angry, high non-stop motor. Yep those are all great qualities. But until he starts affecting plays, it means little.

Davenport is nowhere close to having the light come on. He's not a football player at this point. He's all elite athleticism. It's a bit worrisome that he never gets it but I'm holding out hope he figures it out.

Would any of us like to see Hendrickson become the next Ninkovich type? Or would we prefer to wait for Davenport become what we all would like to see and just play him over Hendrickson regardless?

I guess I’d prefer whoever is the most consistently disruptive to start. It’s tough, though. Davenport was drafted with the intent of locking that position down. If Hendrickson is better at the moment, though, I’d think it would be more beneficial to have him out there. Of course they could have a rotation going and just leave whoever’s hot in there.

Hendrickson has a fairly low ceiling.

Hungry, angry, high non-stop motor. Yep those are all great qualities. But until he starts affecting plays, it means little.

Davenport is nowhere close to having the light come on. He's not a football player at this point. He's all elite athleticism. It's a bit worrisome that he never gets it but I'm holding out hope he figures it out.
He has affected quite a few plays already. he has actually been the most effective at affecting plays so far this preseason. What you have to do is imagine him & Jordan in the game at the same time & what his effective would be at that point. But this either or stuff is for the birds really because all three guys, Jordan, Davenport, & Hendrickson need to be effective & able to work off of each other's skill sets as they will all share some amount of time in their respective rotations. But I'm with you 1000% on Davenport. I just wish the coaches would say, you that guy wearing number #3, or #7, whatever. Go beat up that guy right there. And leave it at that.

Would any of us like to see Hendrickson become the next Ninkovich type? Or would we prefer to wait for Davenport become what we all would like to see and just play him over Hendrickson regardless?
Wut??

Okay, I'll answer. No. I certainly hope that Hendrickson doesn't continually get hurt like Ninkovich did with us and Miami before finally staying healthy with his third team. And Hendrickson is playing great and I see us using both to finally give Jordan some plays off on defense. And without Jordan on the opposite side, it's hard to evaluate Davenport better.

Hendrickson stepping up in a big way makes losing Okafor seem like a blessing.

He has affected quite a few plays already. he has actually been the most effective at affecting plays so far this preseason. What you have to do is imagine him & Jordan in the game at the same time & what his effective would be at that point. But this either or stuff is for the birds really because all three guys, Jordan, Davenport, & Hendrickson need to be effective & able to work off of each other's skill sets as they will all share some amount of time in their respective rotations. But I'm with you 1000% on Davenport. I just wish the coaches would say, you that guy wearing number #3, or #7, whatever. Go beat up that guy right there. And leave it at that.
I've seen Hendrickson and Jordan on the field at the same time, in fact quite a few times over the last 2 seasons. Hendrickson has been a total non factor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom