WWL Radio tweets homophobic slur about WWL sports reporter Seth Dunlap (2 Viewers)

So does that mean that actively disliking homosexuality (which I'd certainly argue is bigotry, especially when sexual orientation is not a choice) because of faith is more defensible in nature and should be tolerated because it's not a blind belief?

I know I'm probably missing something because I don't think that's what you're saying.

Actively hating or being intolerant of someone based on their sexual actions/exploits is wrong... But that's not what Christianity teaches (or should in any event).... Actively hating or being intolerant of someone based on their Faith/Religious following is wrong.... which is what I had a beef with (double standard)

If you are trying to equate any type of faith.... directly to bigotry... we don't have a real discussion (not that you are, just seems that's the road you are looking to go down).... The faith based stuff I was taught (as a young Catholic) was not based on hate or intolerance... It was based on morality... just like the (morality based) 10 commandments people generally don't follow... but have generally become the law of the land.

I know homosexual people, friends, and family.... I love them... I don't "just tolerate them", they were born that way.... I have devout Christian friends and family.... I love them... I don't "just tolerate them", they were raised that way.

Last edited:
This Christian wonders what other Christians think about those Christian faiths who have open door policies to LGBTQ+ individuals, including in roles or clergy and leadership. Do you consider them non-Christian? Frankly, I consider it very Christ-like.

I don’t think that he regrets doing it. I think he’s learned that something like this takes a lot out of you and that you have a priority to maintain your own mental health for the wellbeing of your family. So I don’t think he’ll do this anytime soon. But I highly doubt you’d ever get him to admit that talking to those children was a mistake. It’s something that he valued. And he’s too strong.
You're talking right past me.

In your opinion: If you could mind-read Drew Brees ... do you think he believes like James Dobson believes about homosexuality?

I don’t think that he regrets doing it. I think he’s learned that something like this takes a lot out of you and that you have a priority to maintain your own mental health for the wellbeing of your family. So I don’t think he’ll do this anytime soon. But I highly doubt you’d ever get him to admit that talking to those children was a mistake. It’s something that he valued. And he’s too strong.

I don't understand. You think Brees really shares the crazy anti-gay beliefs of these groups and he's just a liar who denounced them as un-Christian for his mental health?

If he's so strong then why wouldn't he have just told the truth.

I disagree anyway. I don't buy for a second that he's a crispy nut who believes in conversion therapy and that gay folks are evil pedophiles.

I don't understand. You think Brees really shares the crazy anti-gay beliefs of these groups and he's just a liar who denounced them as un-Christian for his mental health?

If he's so strong then why wouldn't he have just told the truth.

I disagree anyway. I don't buy for a second that he's a crispy nut who believes in conversion therapy and that gay folks are evil pedophiles.

I believe that talking to kids was worth it to him.

You're talking right past me.

In your opinion: If you could mind-read Drew Brees ... do you think he believes like James Dobson believes about homosexuality?

I don’t know and don’t care what Drew Brees thinks about homosexuality. He didn’t talk to those kids because of his desire to piss off gay right advocates and spawn discussions between nobodies like you and I.

Actively hating or being intolerant of someone based on their sexual actions/exploits is wrong... But that's not what Christianity teaches (or should in any event).... Actively hating or being intolerant of someone based on their Faith/Religious following is wrong.... which is what I had a beef with (double standard)

If you are trying to equate any type of faith.... directly to bigotry... we don't have a real discussion (not that you are, just seems that's the road you are looking to go down).... The faith based stuff I was taught was not based on hate... It was based on morality... just like the (morality based) 10 commandments people generally don't follow...

I know homosexual people, friends, and family.... I love them... I don't tolerate them, they were born that way.... I have devout Christian friends and family.... I love them... I don't tolerate them, they were raised that way.
Gotcha. I appreciate the detailed response, but yeah, I do ultimately disagree with the distinction that you're making.

Whether it's taught as hate or morality, it still ultimately leads to the same basic idea that homosexuality is wrong, and I just have difficulty seeing how that's not always bigoted in nature (to varying degrees, of course). Saying I don't hate you because of how you were born, I just think your morals are screwed up because of how you were born is still bigotry, just more benign.

Seth is taking a leave of absence.

What’s sad is that things like this spiral out of control. Things were much simpler 10 years ago. Ten years ago, Brees would have done what he did and either nobody would have even known or at worst the gay rights group would have expressed their displeasure on a more personal level. Now...the story breaks and everyone in the world knows. Supporters of the gay rights group harrass Brees which prompts Brees to feel like he needs to defend himself. The convenience and platform of social media allows a guy (who essentially nobody knows even exists) to write an open letter to Brees. Then people who are bigoted and take offense to his open letter verbally attack him. News breaks about the WWL employee bigotry and this spawns even more bigots to come out and spew their hatred toward Seth. It’s too much at Seth takes a leave of absence.

Where did this get us? It’s sad how complex our lives have become. I’m sure that there are some that are out there that will argue how this is positive movement for our society. But it’s really difficult to see.

Gotcha. I appreciate the detailed response, but yeah, I do ultimately disagree with the distinction that you're making.

Whether it's taught as hate or morality, it still ultimately leads to the same basic idea that homosexuality is wrong, and I just have difficulty seeing how that's not always bigoted in nature (to varying degrees, of course). Saying I don't hate you because of how you were born, I just think your morals are screwed up because of how you were born is still bigotry, just more benign.

It doesn't have to be bigoted or hate based... I am not homosexual... even if religion of any kind never existed... In my mind... homosexual sex would still be "wrong".... simply because I can't fathom having sex with anyone other than a woman.... and Despite homosexuality being taught to me (as a Catholic) to be morally wrong... I am not (and never will be) intolerant of others just because they do not believe/feel/or act like me in the bedroom...

The gay people I personally know... can't imagine having heterosexual sex (well, some can as they are BI, or were in hetero relationships prior).... In their minds.... It "just seems wrong" to them.... By definition Morality is the personal distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior... we see our personal morality as what each one of us considers in our minds to be right and wrong or good and bad behavior... so in most every heterosexuals mind - homosexual sex would be morally wrong.... and vice versa...

It's not bigotry... It's personal difference... the bigotry is when that sense of morality (or disguised hate) is used against a person in some way or form in a negative manner or used to persecute /ostracize / exclude a group of people... Intolerance leads to that.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be bigoted or hate based... I am not homosexual... even if religion of any kind never existed... In my mind... homosexual sex would still be "wrong".... simply because I can't fathom having sex with anyone other than a woman.... and Despite homosexuality being taught to me (as a Catholic) to be morally wrong... I am not (and never will be) intolerant of others just because they do not believe/feel/or act like me in the bedroom...

The gay people I personally know... can't imagine having heterosexual sex (well, some can as they are BI, or were in hetero relationships prior).... In their minds.... It "just seems wrong" to them....

It's not bigotry... It's personal difference... the bigotry is when that sense of morality (or disguised hate) is used against you in some way or form in a negative manner... Intolerance leads to that.
And in saying "it just seems wrong" you don't really mean that as a judgement, but more like how I am with skydiving or something. It seems wrong to me to want to jump out of a plane that high up, but I don't begrudge anyone who does.

Best thing I could think of lol

What’s sad is that things like this spiral out of control. Things were much simpler 10 years ago. Ten years ago, Brees would have done what he did and either nobody would have even known or at worst the gay rights group would have expressed their displeasure on a more personal level. Now...the story breaks and everyone in the world knows. Supporters of the gay rights group harrass Brees which prompts Brees to feel like he needs to defend himself. The convenience and platform of social media allows a guy (who essentially nobody knows even exists) to write an open letter to Brees. Then people who are bigoted and take offense to his open letter verbally attack him. News breaks about the WWL employee bigotry and this spawns even more bigots to come out and spew their hatred toward Seth. It’s too much at Seth takes a leave of absence.

Where did this get us? It’s sad how complex our lives have become. I’m sure that there are some that are out there that will argue how this is positive movement for our society. But it’s really difficult to see.

Things may have seemed simpler (for some) 10 years ago, but that sure doesn’t necessarily mean they were better for everyone.

And in saying "it just seems wrong" you don't really mean that as a judgement, but more like how I am with skydiving or something. It seems wrong to me to want to jump out of a plane that high up, but I don't begrudge anyone who does.

Best thing I could think of lol

Sort of... My best example always comes back to this... (as it also somewhat relates to sexual behavior)

Based on the definition of Morality being... A Person or Group of persons' internal feeling as to what's right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

I would consider Polygamy to not be "moral behavior"... but if some goofy glutton for punishment wants to have more than one wife... good luck with that... I don't hate you for it... I'm not intolerant of it... you shouldn't be treated different due to it.... but I am never going to believe it's good behavior or right... that doesn't make be a bigot.

Of course Polygamy is illegal in most of the US as it's considered morally wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom