WWL Radio tweets homophobic slur about WWL sports reporter Seth Dunlap (2 Viewers)

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Every demand fits a broad definition of extortion.

I wonder if he himself made a demand or if he did it, solely, through his lawyer.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Every demand fits a broad definition of extortion.

I wonder if he himself made a demand or if he did it, solely, through his lawyer.
The demand does, but what about the threat?

I think generally speaking, threat of litigation doesn't usually qualify as extortion. But the threats here may have been more complex than that.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The demand does, but what about the threat?

I think generally speaking, threat of litigation doesn't usually qualify as extortion. But the threats here may have been more complex than that.
I do not know much at all about extortion, so I am just wondering if the Judge denied the warrant because the demand was made via a lawyer or perhaps the demand was phrased as "pay up or I will sue"?

Fun Bunch

All-Pro
Reaction score
I do not know much at all about extortion, so I am just wondering if the Judge denied the warrant because the demand was made via a lawyer or perhaps the demand was phrased as "pay up or I will sue"?
That is likely the case. Judges are VERY hesitant to use demands made in Civil proceedings as Extortion.

Likely NOPD will come back with Fraud.

The hidden detail in this is that its pretty much confirmed at this point that he sent the tweet. Its just a matter of "What crime did he commit?"

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That is likely the case. Judges are VERY hesitant to use demands made in Civil proceedings as Extortion.

Likely NOPD will come back with Fraud.

The hidden detail in this is that its pretty much confirmed at this point that he sent the tweet. Its just a matter of "What crime did he commit?"
If he wasn’t authorized to log in to the account, isn’t it the digital version of trespass? Surely there’s a crime there.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Saw this from the nola app today

His lawyer had previously been civil attorney Megan Kiefer, but on Friday, after being given time to review the new court documents, she said she no longer represented him.

Dunlap, 35, said he is now represented by Billy Gibbens, a former federal prosecutor who specializes in white-collar criminal defense work. Gibbens did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

And

After the tweet, Dunlap took a leave of absence and returned his station-provided laptop. WWL Radio then had the forensic firm look at that device as well.

The firm found that Dunlap had downloaded his own Twitter account’s logs onto the laptop.

When examining those logs, which include the IP address of the device that sent the tweet, the firm found more evidence to suggest Dunlap had sent the tweet. The logs showed Dunlap had accessed his own Twitter account from the same IP address that was used to send the insulting tweet from the station's account at about the same time, according to the new documents

Chris

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saw this from the nola app today

His lawyer had previously been civil attorney Megan Kiefer, but on Friday, after being given time to review the new court documents, she said she no longer represented him.

Dunlap, 35, said he is now represented by Billy Gibbens, a former federal prosecutor who specializes in white-collar criminal defense work. Gibbens did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

And

After the tweet, Dunlap took a leave of absence and returned his station-provided laptop. WWL Radio then had the forensic firm look at that device as well.

The firm found that Dunlap had downloaded his own Twitter account’s logs onto the laptop.

When examining those logs, which include the IP address of the device that sent the tweet, the firm found more evidence to suggest Dunlap had sent the tweet. The logs showed Dunlap had accessed his own Twitter account from the same IP address that was used to send the insulting tweet from the station's account at about the same time, according to the new documents
He needs to just come clean because the evidence is clearly there.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Another article...
Yeah, when WWL Radio itself feels confident enough in the evidence it has to run these accusations against its former employee on its own website without facing consequences for retaliation or defamation...

And Dunlap's civil attorney reviews the evidence and shortly thereafter tells reporters she no longer represents him (though she apparently still did at the moment they sent her the documents)...

I'd guess that his new criminal defense lawyer will have some work to do.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, when WWL Radio itself feels confident enough in the evidence it has to run these accusations against its former employee on its own website without facing consequences for retaliation or defamation...

And Dunlap's civil attorney reviews the evidence and shortly thereafter tells reporters she no longer represents him (though she apparently still did at the moment they sent her the documents)...

It seems the new lawyer is about trying to reduce the sentence
The first lawyer probably thought she was going to argue guilt/innocence

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score

when your civil liberty attorney quits on you and you retain a white collar criminal defense attorney, it kinda sends a message

Reaction score
when your civil liberty attorney quits on you and you retain a white collar criminal defense attorney, it kinda sends a message
I figured she wasn't long for the world when she had started with the "He passed a lie detector test!" stuff. The last refuge of the obviously guilty.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems the new lawyer is about trying to reduce the sentence
The first lawyer probably thought she was going to argue guilt/innocence
She thought she was going to get 1/3 of his absurd $1.8 million demand and had no idea her client was a criminal. She thought she was going to be arguing in a courthouse on Poydras Street and not at Tulane and Broad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom