WWL Radio tweets homophobic slur about WWL sports reporter Seth Dunlap (2 Viewers)

I listen to WWL a lot.

I think Dunlap does a very good job. He has a great radio voice and knows sports. I don’t get to listen due to his time-slot. I listen when he does game day stuff.

When Zach Strief got the gig for gameday, I thought it was the wrong choice. Many people thought Dunlap should have gotten the job. He’s got the best radio voice of just about anyone there and he clearly knows his sports. I think he could have done very well there.

This incident is really unfortunate and odd. It’s going to end poorly for someone. It’s already bad for Dunlap. He got embarrassed. Whoever has ultimate control of that twitter acct. is ultimately at fault whether they did it or not.

There’s a lot of working parts in play here. Social and radio media; workplace bullying; Homosexuality; heck, even Drew brees and his support of FoF. This could be damaging for WWL. Listeners and advertisers will be paying attention. Listeners will judge them on their response to this.
I think someone is getting fired and Dunlap might end up departing due to a poisoned environment. Very unfortunate.

Last edited:
The history of that term is unfortunate, especially within the "bro" culture, which permeates sports at a very high concentration. These days, I'm not a fan of using it even in a joking fashion with my friends. I used to do so when I was younger and I didn't understand the ramifications of it. Still, I don't think I would categorically denounce anyone who may still cling to it as a term of.... of whatever within their closed group of friends. But to do it publicly? From a corporate account? And directed towards a homosexual employee? Just wow. There's no excuse for that. Dunlap may end up owning WWL before its all said and done.

Last edited:
This incident is really unfortunate and odd. It’s going to end poorly for someone. It’s already bad for Dunlap. He got embarrassed. Whoever has ultimate control of that twitter acct. is ultimately at fault whether they did it or not.

I think Seth took it pretty well actually.

This was his first response:

I didn't listen to his show last night, but I'm sure he addressed it.

I don't see why not. Law suits aimed at companies are over one persons actions all the time.

You can sue pretty much so anyone for anything. Doesn't mean you will win. The question will be if it was a "hostile work environment" and whether he was adversely affected by the action. So, if he can win will depend on what has gone on their in the past and how they react to this. The Tweet alone is unlikely to be enough assuming that similar things have not happened in the past, they actually investigate and fire/intervene with the person who wrote it, and take no adverse action against Dunlop (they won't unless they are total idiots).

But realistically, he's not likely to file suit. They are going to kiss his arse to show that it is not a hostile work environment, and it he sued it would be difficult for him to continue a career in the media.

What a milquetoast comment. I’m trying to understand the “undertones” he is talking about. He is commenting about a horrible hateful comment tweeted but now it is part of the wwl “undertones”
What’s the confusion?
I’m not clear what you are pointing to

What a milquetoast comment. I’m trying to understand the “undertones” he is talking about. He is commenting about a horrible hateful comment tweeted but now it is part of the wwl “undertones”

I agree it's unfair to say "rogue homophobic slur tweet = evidence that the whole station has some hateful agenda" and that's sort of what Nick suggests. I only posted it because Underhill has a following and to show that the story was noticed by those outside of the market.

I mean that covers it, no telling who sent it out, could have been some disgruntled assistant, who happened across an open Twitter account, then bam sends the tweet. I highly doubt anyone of significants sent that. Let them look into it and handle it when they figure it out. I have access to my managers emails and personal info accounts at work, due to how our system logs you off, it doesn't lol. I can send an email from any of their accounts and ruin their career. Stuff like this happens, more than we know.

Heard on the radio from T-Bob Hebert that only a certain few individuals have access to that account. I wonder if we will ever find out who it was, or will they pretend like that person never existed, à la Deke Bellavia.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom