WWL Radio tweets homophobic slur about WWL sports reporter Seth Dunlap (4 Viewers)

I am surprised no one posted the rest of what he put on twitter.

Thanks. Wasn't aware of all these tweets. He states he intends to return soon. I'm guessing, if not WWL, then somewhere else local. At least I hope so. He doesn't deserve to get run off because of what he did. I think he's genuine in his intentions and means well. I just hope people take it that way.

Thanks. Wasn't aware of all these tweets. He states he intends to return soon. I'm guessing, if not WWL, then somewhere else local. At least I hope so. He doesn't deserve to get run off because of what he did. I think he's genuine in his intentions and means well. I just hope people take it that way.
WWL is the biggest platform in the GNO area. I'd hate to see him take a step back in his career to go to some unknown AM station that barely reaches all of New Orleans. At night, you can supposedly catch WWL on the radio across the entire South.

They will never say anything about this again unless some future move by Seth forces their hand.

They are rightfully expecting this to get lost in the wash of the 10-minute news cycle we all now enjoy.

Not a fan of the station, with the format they have. Outside of the Newell Normand show, it is a Jerry Springer radio station. But I would say, let’s let the facts unfold, prior to passing judgement here. There are multiple people that have access to the station’s twitter account, including those that no longer work at the station. It could be a careless mistake by the station, allowing this to exist, and by such a former employee tweeting the hurtful message. It could be anyone number of individuals. They know it came from an iphone. Now go get the owner of the iphone and let’s see what becomes.

On the flip side, let me play devil’s advocate for the moment. Could it be someone in the gay community that has access, tweeted this message, in an attempt to try and get revenge on the station? To bring attention to the the gay community? In today’s world, I do not put anything past anyone, to do something so off the wall, that nothing would surprise me.

Standby folks.

WWL issued a statement that it was abhorrent or something to that effect. I don't think that simply issuing a statement would resolve the situation for Seth - he needs to know who did it and what has come of it. What if it was a producer or manager he works with?

I don't think there needs to be some public shaming, that's another can of worms. But internally, WWL needs to find out who did it and they need to share with Seth their findings and what they're doing about it. Just imagine that instead of someone attacking Seth with the offensive slur on the employer's twitter page, they jumped him in the secure building and knocked him out - but he didn't know who did it. Certainly we would all expect the employer to investigate and if they were able to determine who did it, the targeted employe would certainly expect to be shared that information and what was going to be done about it. It's no different.

It is not criminal to call someone a slur. It is criminal to attack someone physically. Two different animals. Now it is certainly100% a reprehensible act and unacceptable to call someone a slur. No doubt about that. But WWL is going to have a significant price potentially, from a standpoint of listening audience and revenue stream, if nothing else and depending on the findings. In a workplace environment, if a slur is used, you will get fired most times. But from a criminal nature, nothing is illegal. Civil? I don’t think so either. If so, the court system would be overrun with similar cases.

Not a fan of the station, with the format they have. Outside of the Newell Normand show, it is a Jerry Springer radio station. But I would say, let’s let the facts unfold, prior to passing judgement here. There are multiple people that have access to the station’s twitter account, including those that no longer work at the station. It could be a careless mistake by the station, allowing this to exist, and by such a former employee tweeting the hurtful message. It could be anyone number of individuals. They know it came from an iphone. Now go get the owner of the iphone and let’s see what becomes.

On the flip side, let me play devil’s advocate for the moment. Could it be someone in the gay community that has access, tweeted this message, in an attempt to try and get revenge on the station? To bring attention to the the gay community? In today’s world, I do not put anything past anyone, to do something so off the wall, that nothing would surprise me.

Standby folks.
That’s not playing devils advocate

That’s not playing devils advocate
No, it’s just trying to find a way to rationalize and mentally blame shift, including onto the community this tweet attacked using it’s framing as a pejorative. Coming very close to the line of victim blaming.

Most of what he asserted as fact(tons of people having access, including former employees) is completely unfounded.

Yeah, logically speaking, if it were some former employee or intern, WWL would be jumping at the chance to announce that.

As it would give them a lot of PR separation.

The ongoing silence suggests to me the most plausible scenario is it is from someone that poses a much greater problem for the network.

It is not criminal to call someone a slur. It is criminal to attack someone physically. Two different animals. Now it is certainly100% a reprehensible act and unacceptable to call someone a slur. No doubt about that. But WWL is going to have a significant price potentially, from a standpoint of listening audience and revenue stream, if nothing else and depending on the findings. In a workplace environment, if a slur is used, you will get fired most times. But from a criminal nature, nothing is illegal. Civil? I don’t think so either. If so, the court system would be overrun with similar cases.

I don’t disagree that that they’re different for purposes of criminal law but I don’t see how that’s relevant. For purposes of regulating the workplace, they’re effectively the same - both prohibited by the employer.

What WWL personality has revealed himself to be a frequent Twitter user, a person with enough experience and clout to have access to the company's official Twitter page, has displayed moments of immaturity on-air, and has been subject to having semi-annual strong-right wing online Twitter rants and outbursts these past few years?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom