WWL Radio tweets homophobic slur about WWL sports reporter Seth Dunlap (1 Viewer)

You're really overselling general tech knowledge. By a lot.

You really think so? I think that's kind of common knowledge for anybody younger than 40. I mean, I know that much and I'm not a tech wiz by any stretch.

I don't know who's telling the truth, but I find WWL's version of the story a little hard to believe. I would just think that anybody would know that they would be caught if they did what they're accusing Dunlap of. Everybody, especially people Seth's age, now that IP addresses are easy to track, especially from his own phone. He would have to be very stupid and by all accounts, he's not. They'll have to prove that he had password access to the company twitter and they'll have to have independent conformation from the NOPD.

I think WWL was trying to get Dunlap to drop the suit and the case by putting pressure on him, knowing that they'd have a ground swell of public support from their listeners given the recent Smollett case. Everybody would assume that he's lying because of association. Seems to be working for now.

I'll be curious to see how this turns out. One side or the other is risking a lot.

This I agree with, someone is getting burned here. The problem I have with Seth's side is the $1.85 million. That just seems like an awfully high number for this type of case. Now that could be his attorney's idea, but still, it's troublesome. On the other hand, for the reasons you've stated, it doesn't seem like Seth would be dumb enough to log into the site and create a post from his phone, which would be relatively easy to track down. It's a baffling scenario. But desperate people sometimes do things that don't make a lot of sense.

You really think so? I think that's kind of common knowledge for anybody younger than 40.

Especially for someone in the media. I mean, there are frequently stories written or talked about in news media on this very topic. Seth doesn't seem like someone who would be ignorant of it.

That said, I don't know him personally, so he could be a tech noob, but it would surprise me if that's the case.

well, people still murder other people despite forensic science being pretty much foolproof

humans are irrational and often think they won't get caught because they are smarter than the ones who did get caught

This I agree with, someone is getting burned here. The problem I have with Seth's side is the $1.85 million. That just seems like an awfully high number for this type of case. Now that could be his attorney's idea, but still, it's troublesome. On the other hand, for the reasons you've stated, it doesn't seem like Seth would be dumb enough to log into the site and create a post from his phone, which would be relatively easy to track down. It's a baffling scenario. But desperate people sometimes do things that don't make a lot of sense.

It's a ridiculous amount of money for what happened. I think he was totally over valuing his claim/case. Either he's really greedy or he got some really bad legal advice.

Perhaps his reported credit card debit may be his motive if he did do it. People do all kind of stupid stuff for money. But then again, WWL putting out the amount of money he was requesting in the settlement and his supposed financial problems at the same time is also something that would garner public support for their side and put more pressure on Dunlap. So who knows.

At this point none of us know whether Seth is actually a victim or not. I'll wait until I know more before talking about blame.

exactly. Obviously it is ok for people to have an opinion on the subject provided it comes with the caveat 'with what we know so far' but there are those in this thread who are already convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that WWL is guilty CUZ BIG BAD RICH PEOPLE and those convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dunlap is guilty CUZ THERE IS THIS OTHER EXAMPLE OF A MINORITY LYING

In my opinion, neither stance is any more moral than the other. Pretty much 2 sides of the same coin

I don't know who's telling the truth, but I find WWL's version of the story a little hard to believe.

uh wat. That would be the case if hadn't seen numerous recent examples of this behavior.

One side has, allegedly, actual evidence. Everyone should have the same opinion based on what we know: it doesn't look good for Seth at all and he is LIKELY the one that sent the tweet, but let's wait for the facts to come out.

uh wat. That would be the case if hadn't seen numerous recent examples of this behavior.

One side has, allegedly, actual evidence. Everyone should have the same opinion based on what we know: it doesn't look good for Seth at all and he is LIKELY the one that sent the tweet, but let's wait for the facts to come out.

That's exactly the point I'm making, thanks for helping me out. It's very easy for many people to believe given what happened in the Smollett case.

Why should everybody have the same opinion? It's easy to see how both sides can be the one telling the truth, if you're not heavily invested in one outcome or the other.

Because one opinion has facts to back it up and the other has feefees.

Look, I'm a lawyer in the industry at issue here. I know how they think, act, and do what they do.

The 1.8 million demand people are focusing on is irrelevant and frankly, a dumb thing to focus on. Its a PI Lawyer's first demand, those are always going to be outrageous, trust me. I've sent a few outrageous demands in my time. Seth almost certainly didn't come up with that number, his lawyer did. It was designed to get a reaction and to work towards a large counter-offer.

But I DO know how corporate attorneys operate. There is NO CHANCE they would have gone the steps they did, take it to the police, blow it up, etc if they did not have extremely compelling evidence that the tweet was sent by Seth. I know the digital forensic team that did the work by reputation and they are considered pretty damn good.

If they didn't have the evidence they would have said nothing and continued to try and let this thing simmer behind the scenes and try to get it settled. TRUST ME. They do not want this publicity at all. They try to end these things quietly. At worst they would have taken a different position to try and mitigate damages.

If they made up the fact that he sent the tweet and filed a police report, they are setting themselves up for a massive case, maybe even punitive damages and a variety of more claims.

They've most likely got him, or they at least believe they do based on the evidence.

Any other opinion simply isn't logical and is based on politics and emotions.

Look, I'm a lawyer in the industry at issue here. I know how they think, act, and do what they do.

The 1.8 million demand people are focusing on is irrelevant and frankly, a dumb thing to focus on. Its a PI Lawyer's first demand, those are always going to be outrageous, trust me. I've sent a few outrageous demands in my time. Seth almost certainly didn't come up with that number, his lawyer did. It was designed to get a reaction and to work towards a large counter-offer.

But I DO know how corporate attorneys operate. There is NO CHANCE they would have gone the steps they did, take it to the police, blow it up, etc if they did not have extremely compelling evidence that the tweet was sent by Seth. I know the digital forensic team that did the work by reputation and they are considered pretty damn good.

If they didn't have the evidence they would have said nothing and continued to try and let this thing simmer behind the scenes and try to get it settled. TRUST ME. They do not want this publicity at all. They try to end these things quietly. At worst they would have taken a different position to try and mitigate damages.

If they made up the fact that he sent the tweet and filed a police report, they are setting themselves up for a massive case, maybe even punitive damages and a variety of more claims.

They've most likely got him, or they at least believe they do based on the evidence.

I was going to post something similar but decided against it.

No way this law firmof Entercom's is going to do what has been done unless they have a very high degree of confidence that they are right. If they have flimsy evidence or no evidence then it could completely destroy that firm.

I even think they arranged that meeting earlier in the week in an attempt to have this go down quietly but Seth's team wasn't in the mood - but that is mere speculation.

Also, Entercom is not really worried about a lawsuit, imo. Bad publicity- yes, but a lawsuit and a lawsuit payout - no.

Wwl/entercom is the defendant here. Innocent until proven guilty.

This tweet, by itself is not enough to get paid. Seth has to prove that they intended to offend him and that they created an environment that allowed this to happen. Intent is important.

Now we know that Wwl is evidently ready to show that the tweet was sent by Seth himself. He now has to be able to counter that to convince laymen who will be ignorant about the technology that it’s more believable that someone at wwl sent it. He’ll have to counter evidence that they are not a hostile environment. Wwl will have plenty of defense for that.

It won’t be easy for seth.

Frankly, I find it very hard to believe that anyone at wwl would be so stupid as to send this tweet. It is either a rogue or it’s seth.

I was going to post something similar but decided against it.

No way this law firmof Entercom's is going to do what has been done unless they have a very high degree of confidence that they are right. If they have flimsy evidence or no evidence then it could completely destroy that firm.

I even think they arranged that meeting earlier in the week in an attempt to have this go down quietly but Seth's team wasn't in the mood - but that is mere speculation.

Also, Entercom is not really worried about a lawsuit, imo. Bad publicity- yes, but a lawsuit and a lawsuit payout - no.

You both may turn out to be right. I have no personal knowledge of this industry or people in it, like both of you seem to have.

But I'd like to point out that the "facts" that you are alluding to that would only lead to having one opinion are all coming from one side. You're basing your opinion off of your personal experience and what you think industry professionals would and wouldn't do. It's certainly a valid opinion and a good one to add good context to what's going on, but all corporate entities aren't the same and they all don't behave in the same manner. It's certainly not illogical to believe that something else could be at play here given the limited known and confirmed information we have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom