WWL-TV's View from the Other Side: A New York writer's look at the Giants (1 Viewer)

muzzy

Explosive
Reaction score
View from the Other Side: A New York writer's look at the Giants
08:54 AM CDT on Friday, October 16, 2009
Bradley Handwerger / WWL-TV.com Sports Writer

When New Orleans hosts the New York Giants on Sunday, you’ve likely read as much about the Saints as you possibly can.

But what do you know about the Giants?

That’s where A View From the Other Side comes in. Every Friday during the Saints' season, WWL-TV.com will ask five questions to at least one beat writer covering the Saints’ opponent that week.

Today we welcome Tom Rock of Newsday. Rock is in his second season covering the Giants after covering the Jets previously. He has worked at Newsday for 13 years and puts together good work on their Web site. You can read his coverage at http://www.newsday.com/giants and at http://www.newsday.com/giantsblog.

WWL-TV: Eli’s heel obviously didn’t bother him enough to keep him out against the Raiders last week. The Saints defense is a bit different from Oakland’s, though. Could his heel be a problem this weekend?

Tom Rock: He probably won’t get to stand in the pocket and gaze downfield until his receivers get open this week, that’s for sure. He’ll be asked to move around a bit more … chased is probably the word we’re looking for here. But Eli’s never been the most mobile of quarterbacks to begin with so it’s not like he won’t be able to rip off those 15-yard scrambles for first downs that he’s known for.

More: http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl101609bhsaintsviewgiants.220c017ba.html

Eli Manning has a league-leading and nearly-perfect 151.7 passer rating on third downs.

:etonnement-29:

good read. i've been told the Saints will attack their secondary, Giants fans think that won't work but they haven't played a WR corp as complete as the Saints yet this year, or a QB as good as Brees. i look for both teams to air it out early with hopes of getting an early lead then ride their running games to a win.

good read. i've been told the Saints will attack their secondary, Giants fans think that won't work but they haven't played a WR corp as complete as the Saints yet this year, or a QB as good as Brees. i look for both teams to air it out early with hopes of getting an early lead then ride their running games to a win.

The Bills secondary and the Jets injured secondary was supposed to get torched by us also -- so I don't look much into that.

If Brees gets on a roll, it doesn't matter what the secondary's doing. Someone will get the ball in a great spot.

The Bills secondary and the Jets injured secondary was supposed to get torched by us also -- so I don't look much into that.

If Brees gets on a roll, it doesn't matter what the secondary's doing. Someone will get the ball in a great spot.

:hihi:

There are really only 2 ways to defend the Saints... you can either play aggressive and blitz... when you send lots of guys and hope your secondary will make a play on the ball.

The "good" with this is that you get pressure on Drew, but the "bad" is that you leave your coverage guys in one-on-one situations, and the Saints have the skill guys and teh triggerman to make you pay. See the Lions and Eagles games as examples.

or...

You can play conservative, and rely on your 4 man pass rush to get to Brees, and hope that those 4 guys can hurry a throw into a 7-man coverage. The "good" with that is you have 7 men in coverage, so even if your pass rush doesn't get there you can still eliminate the big play by not asking your coverage guys to defend in man-to-man situations. There's normally 2/3 safeties taking away the deep ball.

The "bad" with doing this is you open your defense up to being punched in the mouth by the Saints running game, but only having 7 guys in the box. See the Buffalo and Jets games. Buffalo even played their safety in the box as a LB, so that had 7 in the box, but one of those 7 guys was a db... not smart at all.

So which will the Giants do? Depend on their 4 guys to get to Drew, and open themselves up to our run game? Or blitz Drew, and get torched?

:scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom