Xavien Howard officially requests trade (1 Viewer)

If we were to (miraculously) trade for Howard we'd immediately have to give him a new contract, which would lower the cap hit.

That's the only way to make him happy and also fit him under our cap. But its a pipe dream at this point, and as much as I'd hope we get him I just don't see it happening.

Man that's a tough one. Honestly I don't think we can part with anything but draft picks and maybe a second tier player. Addition by subtraction wouldn't make much sense for a roster that is thin in some spots.

Surely I wouldn't give up any starting lineman on either side of the ball. We don't have Receivers or TEs that they would want in that trade other than MT. To give up an defensive back would be a lateral move and we have no linebackers to trade so I'm left feeling like draft picks are all we should offer.
Agreed! We simply don’t have/can afford trading any “veteran capital”we currently have. Yeah, I’m POed at him right now, but I damned sure don’t wanna trade MT! Trading Latt won’t make us any better. In fact, it was the thought of havn Howard n Latt playn TOGETHER that made us excited!
One poster even brought up trading Peat as part of the deal. Really??

All we have is draft picks. N I damned sure don’t wanna give up our next year’s 1st round pick for Howard, UNLESS/UNTIL the Saints FO makes the move n does it!!!

True. Peat's not a bad LG and could be a LT on some teams, so I don't know if I'd include a 2nd with the 4th/player since the player has value.
Very true, he's a decent player but the only problem is that he cannot stay healthy. But then again, if we do trade Peat, that's going to leave us another position need to be filled. Man, I hate that "kicking the can down the road" method.

Last edited:
Agreed! We simply don’t have/can afford trading any “veteran capital”we currently have. Yeah, I’m POed at him right now, but I damned sure don’t wanna trade MT! Trading Latt won’t make us any better. In fact, it was the thought of havn Howard n Latt playn TOGETHER that made us excited!
One poster even brought up trading Peat as part of the deal. Really??

All we have is draft picks. N I damned sure don’t wanna give up our next year’s 1st round pick for Howard, UNLESS/UNTIL the Saints FO makes the move n does it!!!
Yea, to make the matters worse, Howard reported the camp which is bad & good. Because he's trying to avoid of being fined & in his case, being professional. But he just gave the Dolphins more leverage to play hardball to trade him. And we already know that he's not going to the Patriots, Bills & Jets.

Very true, he's a decent player but the only problem is that he cannot stay healthy. But than again, if we do trade Peat, that's going leave another position need to be filled. Man, I hate that "kicking the can down the road" method.
We may have drafted a replacement, though. Not saying this will happen, just adding a thought of how it could.

Then he shouldn't have signed a contract beyond a yearly basis.
The NFL salary cap simply doesn't allow for this. It is structured such that players can get their bonus dollars up front in exchange for time charged against the cap. If it's a one year contract, then there's absolutely no wiggle room.

No one is being disingenuous here. Teams routinely ask players whether or not they played to expectations to adjust their contracts to maneuver in and around the salary cap. It's not unreasonable for players to ask for contracts to be adjusted when they far outplay their current value.

SFIAH

Dead Cap from trading Peat would be $4.6 million for each of the next four years. I would be in favor of trading Peat and a 2nd round pick for Howard. Not sure if Miami would bite on this.
That's not how that dead money works. On a trade, all remaining bonus money on a contract accelerates to the current salary cap:

How does the trade of a player affect the team’s Salary Cap?

For the team trading the player, a trade is pretty much treated the same as the release of a player – the team is relieved of paying all future base salaries, but still must account for the bonus money that has already been paid to the player. Just like with the release of a player, the remaining unaccounted-for bonus pro-rations will accelerate and count against the team’s Salary Cap.

from: https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

SFIAH

I disagree with many of your sentiments

Not a superbowl team?

If the defense is #1 with no one passing on it.. its proven you could win a superbowl with Brad Johnson as your qb 😂
Dont forget the QB from the 2000 Baltimore Ravens SB team as well. He's so irrelevant that I dont even remember his name

With the way things seem to be lining up, I think if we're going to make a trade for a top CB, it would be a 2-3 weeks after camp starts. Why? I'm sure they want to see what they have in Adebo before committing to a huge CB contract. Conversely, if they don't plan on resigning Latt next year, this move now would make a lot of sense. You get your CB1 replacement and still leave the door open for Adebo at CB2 next year.

All of that aside, we may protect our 1st round pick next year due to the QB uncertainty. I hope we at least inquire and see what it would take.
Of all the responses, I'm most aboard with this one. Howard is going to make someone's defense better out there somewhere. But there are too many unknowns at the same position and at QB to pull the trigger on an expensive deal right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom