Xavier Rhodes is making me want him in B&G more and more! (1 Viewer)

We should Trade dwn a little and get him so we can get a 2nd or extra 3rd and get Amerson too,then Grab Eric Reid,cause something tells me Galette and Wilson will be Monsters in the 3 4,I here everybody want a pass-rusher but I think we have it,show up yo secondary cause its weak in a division with Strong wide outs lets show up that Secondary WHO DATS!!!

The only way we could trade down would be if Genome Smith is available. From 10-25 there isn't going to be much of a drop off. Also when was the last time the Saints traded down in the 1st round.

The only way we could trade down would be if Genome Smith is available. From 10-25 there isn't going to be much of a drop off. Also when was the last time the Saints traded down in the 1st round.

Smith will be gone to either the Browns, Cards or more likely the Bills.

What about Vaccaro?

I want Vaccaro at 15. If Dee Milliner is gone(which he definitely will be) by 15, Vaccaro is the next DB on my list. I love what he brings and would be perfect to have on our back end of this new defense. I'm tired of us giving up big plays over the middle. I want a safety that can cover.

I love him, but depends on what RR wants as a corner, he is physical press corner like jacksonville ran a while ago, recievers never got into their routes, or someone that can play slot CB also like Trufant, but I do hope we get one of these

He might be able to be an elite CB for us. I mean he's physically gifted, no doubt. I'm just saying any team that takes him needs to be prepared to shift him to FS if it just isn't looking like it's working out at CB.

This is a problem that regular comes up for NFL teams. Our very own Malcolm Jenkins is an excellent example. Sean Smith was another. I think the Dolphins have kept him at CB by moving to a more press oriented scheme like Seattle has and Oakland, at least used to, have (not sure if they still do, but when they had Nnamdi that's what they were doing). Actually while we're on it, Nnamdi moving from a press to an more off-the-LOS style in Philly is another example, and now everyone wants to move him to FS.

So I mean, it could work. Probably, as noted, in a more press oriented scheme like Seattle. But whoever takes him needs to be ready for the possibility that he just won't work as a CB in the NFL.

It's not so much about them being "too stupid" to change systems, so much as it is about things such as how quick their "hip flip" is and can they chop their steps on a double move. Man corners tend to be shorter for a reason, shorter people take quicker steps. The stride is not as long and they tend to have quicker feet for it. It's why Wes Welker and Lance Moore excel underneath, why Darren Sproles is "quick" while guys like Deuce were described as being "one-cut gliders", and why CBs who play man coverage tend to be shorter.

It doesn't preclude a taller CB, but it is unusual and normally in conjunction with some compensating aspect, such as using the wide frame to jam the WR at the LOS and controlling their routes in that manner, doing more "dictating" and less "reacting", such as what Seattle does with Sherman and Browner.

Thanks a ton for the analysis and clearing up exactly why smaller (than the bigs) corners are better in Man coverage. I think corners are going to start getting bigger like a lot of other positions have and retain the speed and quickness. Maybe Sherman and Xavier-type guys are the new thing to go up against these big wideouts with speed (Megatron, Fitz, etc)? I know it's premature to list Rhodes with Sherman but I think u get my point. Make sense and does Rhodes grade out like a Sherman? Man I love the offseason! I want to see a killer defensive draft this year from us!

If the Bills take a QB, it will be Nassib(SP?) from Syracuse.

Ya i see the cardinals taking geno smith or barkley and bills said they are taking a QB and i think itll be nassib also!

I would like to have a good corner but I'm tired of seeing the Saints defense lack an elite pass rusher. I really hope that Loomis/Payton get the best linebacker/end available before looking at a corner.

I'm really hoping we get this guy.

I want him and Trufant.

Heck, if I was GM, and Rhodes was on the board, I would draft him, wait till 20, and attempt to trade up offering up a 1st next year, a 5th next year and this year's 4th to get Trufant.

Fortunately you aren't GM.

9 players who struggled at the combine

6. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: As happens every year because the media is not allowed in to see the bulk of workouts, players get tagged with having a “great day” when they run a very fast 40 time, which is why everyone was hyping Rhodes. However, after speaking to people who were inside and watched the positional drills I learned the true story. Rhodes struggled throughout the drills looking upright, stiff and mechanical trying to flip hips and change directions. Additionally, he battled the ball nearly every time and did not show the hands to be counted on to make plays when he gets the chance at the next level. Lastly, Rhodes interviews were not impressive. All of this being said, it is still likely that a team that plays a lot of press coverage will take Rhodes in the first round because of his height, long arms, strong build and elite straight line speed.
NFP looks at 9 players who struggled at Combine | National Football Post

i'd still do it if it meant solidifying our starting corners for the next many years!

It doesn't mean that. It means you get a rookie that has about a 50% chance of being an average NFL player and about a 30% chance of being an above average corner.

So Xavier Rhodes is a Malcolm Jenkins type prospect but with CB speed?

Exactly. I think he'd be a better Safety. I dont know, he seems a little awkward in coverage to me. I think Jenkins was better than Rhodes, coming out. As good as his speed is, I dont know if he's the coverman that would warrant drafting him that high. Though I'm not one of the Malcolm doubters, if you dislike Jenkins, then you'll hate Rhodes the same.

Noooot gonna happen tho after that combine running a 4.4 and puttin up a 40 inch vert he's the 2nd corner off the board n Tampa Miami and San Diego need corners..he'll be gone

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom