Xavier Rhodes is making me want him in B&G more and more! (1 Viewer)

San Francisco has 11 picks in this draft.....not to mention them shopping Alex Smith possibly for more. We can't speculate on who we will use our #1 on until out LT situation is cleared up. I want a Defensive starter just as bad as everyone here but we have to protect Drew first and foremost. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I'd be disappointed if we pick this guy at #15. Maybe if we trade down, otherwise no.

Size, speed, instincts, hands, AND wraps up....I'd be more than happy with him at 20 after a slight move back, pickup up later round pick.

Xavier Rhodes is not going to play primarily man coverage on the sideline in the NFL. At least, I don't know why you would project that. Mark Stoops runs zone coverages with the back 4 almost exclusively. That's all Xavier Rhodes did in college.

I like Rhodes but to me 15 is a little high for him. He had some good games and some not so good games too so consistency is a bit of a question mark.

FSU ran both man and zone coverages so he has experience in both but that probably led to some of his inconsistancy too.

The only CB I would take at 15 is the only one who won't be there.

if mingo jarvis and dion are gone i want rhodes

Xavier Rhodes is not going to play primarily man coverage on the sideline in the NFL. At least, I don't know why you would project that. Mark Stoops runs zone coverages with the back 4 almost exclusively. That's all Xavier Rhodes did in college.

It would be a change for him, but plenty of players change systems in their move up to the NFL. Heck, some even play in multiple systems under multiple coordinators in their 3-4 years of college ball. I think ability, body type, and intellect are what FOs look for in draftees mostly, not system. That's why I love you and other guys' posts on here that deal with change of direction, hips, etc. Those are the measurables that determine success at the NFL level, as well as what system they would thrive in. College system means little IMO, unless the kid is dense and only does one thing well.

With all that said, I'm curious how you and some of the other "draft guys" would charactarize Rhodes ability-wise? I've said a few times the last couple weeks that I have a feeling we will go Rhodes in the 1st a la 2010. Does he have the "moves" to make it in Man even though he played mostly zone in college? Also, why don't you think he'll play Man on the sidelines? Thanks for your input as it really adds to the offseason experience and gets me juiced for the draft!

It would be a change for him, but plenty of players change systems in their move up to the NFL. Heck, some even play in multiple systems under multiple coordinators in their 3-4 years of college ball. I think ability, body type, and intellect are what FOs look for in draftees mostly, not system. That's why I love you and other guys' posts on here that deal with change of direction, hips, etc. Those are the measurables that determine success at the NFL level, as well as what system they would thrive in. College system means little IMO, unless the kid is dense and only does one thing well.

With all that said, I'm curious how you and some of the other "draft guys" would charactarize Rhodes ability-wise? I've said a few times the last couple weeks that I have a feeling we will go Rhodes in the 1st a la 2010. Does he have the "moves" to make it in Man even though he played mostly zone in college? Also, why don't you think he'll play Man on the sidelines? Thanks for your input as it really adds to the offseason experience and gets me juiced for the draft!

He might be able to be an elite CB for us. I mean he's physically gifted, no doubt. I'm just saying any team that takes him needs to be prepared to shift him to FS if it just isn't looking like it's working out at CB.

This is a problem that regular comes up for NFL teams. Our very own Malcolm Jenkins is an excellent example. Sean Smith was another. I think the Dolphins have kept him at CB by moving to a more press oriented scheme like Seattle has and Oakland, at least used to, have (not sure if they still do, but when they had Nnamdi that's what they were doing). Actually while we're on it, Nnamdi moving from a press to an more off-the-LOS style in Philly is another example, and now everyone wants to move him to FS.

So I mean, it could work. Probably, as noted, in a more press oriented scheme like Seattle. But whoever takes him needs to be ready for the possibility that he just won't work as a CB in the NFL.

It's not so much about them being "too stupid" to change systems, so much as it is about things such as how quick their "hip flip" is and can they chop their steps on a double move. Man corners tend to be shorter for a reason, shorter people take quicker steps. The stride is not as long and they tend to have quicker feet for it. It's why Wes Welker and Lance Moore excel underneath, why Darren Sproles is "quick" while guys like Deuce were described as being "one-cut gliders", and why CBs who play man coverage tend to be shorter.

It doesn't preclude a taller CB, but it is unusual and normally in conjunction with some compensating aspect, such as using the wide frame to jam the WR at the LOS and controlling their routes in that manner, doing more "dictating" and less "reacting", such as what Seattle does with Sherman and Browner.

Trufant is more skilled and a better football player, but Rhodes has the elite measurables. I would take either at #15 if the top passrushers are off the board.

We should Trade dwn a little and get him so we can get a 2nd or extra 3rd and get Amerson too,then Grab Eric Reid,cause something tells me Galette and Wilson will be Monsters in the 3 4,I here everybody want a pass-rusher but I think we have it,show up yo secondary cause its weak in a division with Strong wide outs lets show up that Secondary WHO DATS!!!And I hope everybody think like yall dat trufant is the better corner than Rhodes dat way Tampa would jump on Trufant and we can Trade dwn and get our guy Rhodes then get David Amerson and Eric Reid,and We have a Young Big Physical Corners for years and all of a something the FALCLOWNS OR SCARED ONCE AGAIN!!!

Trufant is more skilled and a better football player, but Rhodes has the elite measurables. I would take either at #15 if the top passrushers are off the board.

This, rhodes will be a press man corner with elite measurables and will be great with a team w a good pass rush, trufant will be a lockdown 1 on 1 man corner.

rhodes sounds like richard sherman w the seahawks w an awesome pass rush

trufant sounds like revis, lock down man corner

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom