XBox 360 vs. PS 3 (1 Viewer)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think after Christmas I'm going to upgrade my XBox to either a XBox 360 or a PS 3. I once had a PS 2 that was looted after Katrina and I replaced it with an XBox. I've never seen much difference between the two systems although I like being able to play Halo and I like the feel of the XBox controller a little better. So, I'm probably leaning to the XBox 360, but I'm still open. Also, I've never done any online gaming. I might try it out depending on the costs involved, but it's not a huge factor for me. Does either system come ready to be hooked up to my home wireless network?

Anyway, I know this thread is likely to turn into an XBox v. Playstation fanboy contest, but I'd be interested in some opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems.

I think after Christmas I'm going to upgrade my XBox to either a XBox 360 or a PS 3. I once had a PS 2 that was looted after Katrina and I replaced it with an XBox. I've never seen much difference between the two systems although I like being able to play Halo and I like the feel of the XBox controller a little better. So, I'm probably leaning to the XBox 360, but I'm still open. Also, I've never done any online gaming. I might try it out depending on the costs involved, but it's not a huge factor for me. Does either system come ready to be hooked up to my home wireless network?

Anyway, I know this thread is likely to turn into an XBox v. Playstation fanboy contest, but I'd be interested in some opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems.

I think the xbox live costs like 4 or 5 dollars a month. the ps3 version is free, at least for now. if you plan on watching any high def media the ps3 has blue ray built in, whereas hd dvd will be an extra charge. the ps3 has built in wireless networking whereas the 360 needs the 100 dollar dongle from microsoft or a network bridge., so you are setup there. also both machines support streaming video from the pc, which means you can download, or possibly watch video off of the web. it seems that the xbox supports a little bit more in that area for now. also, the ps3 has built in charging for the controllers, whereas you have to pay extra for that capability with the 360. I think the ps3 has the bigger hard drive also. I like the 360 better for gaming, mainly because the controller is much better. I did see the other day that a cover for the trigger buttons is being made to make it feel more like a 360 controller. that may help some. I think the ps3 is a great value, especially if you can still get the 100 dollars off from sonystyle if you sign up for the credit card. It sounds like you really arent gpoing to game that much, so the ps3 seems like a better option for you since you can use it for blu ray, browse the internet, and also stream video.

I think the xbox live costs like 4 or 5 dollars a month. the ps3 version is free, at least for now. if you plan on watching any high def media the ps3 has blue ray built in, whereas hd dvd will be an extra charge. the ps3 has built in wireless networking whereas the 360 needs the 100 dollar dongle from microsoft or a network bridge., so you are setup there. also both machines support streaming video from the pc, which means you can download, or possibly watch video off of the web. it seems that the xbox supports a little bit more in that area for now. also, the ps3 has built in charging for the controllers, whereas you have to pay extra for that capability with the 360. I think the ps3 has the bigger hard drive also. I like the 360 better for gaming, mainly because the controller is much better. I did see the other day that a cover for the trigger buttons is being made to make it feel more like a 360 controller. that may help some. I think the ps3 is a great value, especially if you can still get the 100 dollars off from sonystyle if you sign up for the credit card. It sounds like you really arent gpoing to game that much, so the ps3 seems like a better option for you since you can use it for blu ray, browse the internet, and also stream video.

I'm more or less just looking for something to play Madden, NCAA Football and some good FPS'. I've never gotten into the online gaming thing, but I have an addictive personality so if I try it, I could easily get addicted.:hihi:

I tend to lean to the Xbox because of the controller, I really dislike the feel of the PS controller now, but I don't want to make a decision based on that. The HD DVD vs. Blu Ray isn't a big deal to me since I own far too many regular DVD's to care right now and Netflix doesn't have that many HD/Blu Ray options.

Are there any real difference in graphics or available games? I've heard the PS3 has a better processor, but that it may or many not ever be fully used by programers. I'm sure I'd end up happy with either one, but I wondered if anyone had strong opinions on them.

i vote ps3.....but i am a fanboy....:hihi:

i am enjoying the heck out of my ps3.....:9:

i vote ps3.....but i am a fanboy....:hihi:

i am enjoying the heck out of my ps3.....:9:

Yeah, I figure the PS3 is the Audioslave of gaming systems. I just want to make sure that the XBox 360 isn't the Clutch or Primus of gaming systems.:hihi:

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is why I should spend the extra money for a PS3? I really like the XBox controller better and I like Halo. So, does the PS3 have something that would make me want to get used to their controller again and that would make up for no Halo?

Yeah, I figure the PS3 is the Audioslave of gaming systems. I just want to make sure that the XBox 360 isn't the Clutch or Primus of gaming systems.:hihi:

:mad: :grumpy:

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is why I should spend the extra money for a PS3? I really like the XBox controller better and I like Halo. So, does the PS3 have something that would make me want to get used to their controller again and that would make up for no Halo?

well, the blu ray player would be the reason to spend the extra money....

i have always been partial to the ps controllers, that's just a matter of preference......the ps3 controller has "six axis" control which makes it sort of like a wii controller......tilting the controller will cause your character to move....some games have used it quite well.....

as for halo 3....meh, call of duty 4 is the best FPS i have ever played......and i have played halo2 before

:mad: :grumpy:

well, the blu ray player would be the reason to spend the extra money....

i have always been partial to the ps controllers, that's just a matter of preference......the ps3 controller has "six axis" control which makes it sort of like a wii controller......tilting the controller will cause your character to move....some games have used it quite well.....

as for halo 3....meh, call of duty 4 is the best FPS i have ever played......and i have played halo2 before

Yeah, I have Halo 2 and it's okay. But, there is just something about the franchise that I like. I guess it's probably how far ahead Halo was over other games when it came out and I think the overall story arch is cool. of course that makes no difference for game play. All of the COD's and Half-Life 2 are better in terms of game play. But, it does add another option for XBox.

It took me some time to get used to the XBox controllers, but after my PS2 was stolen I got the XBox because it was cheaper at the time. I ended up liking it better.

ultimately widge, it all comes down to personal preference......i won't think any less of you if you buy a 360.....of course, i won't think any more of you:hihi:

i have been a sony fanboy since the ps1.....it's just my thing.....

i really don't think you can go wrong brah....i will say it again, i would love to add a 360 to my life......but the ps3 was priority for me.....

either way, you will get great games and great graphics......

ultimately widge, it all comes down to personal preference......i won't think any less of you if you buy a 360...........

Like that's even possible. :hihi:

i really don't think you can go wrong brah....i will say it again, i would love to add a 360 to my life......but the ps3 was priority for me.....

either way, you will get great games and great graphics......

That's what I kind of thought. I just wanted to see if anyone had a strong reason one way or the other. I have to admit that I like the fact that the PS 3 is black, but that's probably a dumb reason to buy a machine.

i dig the 360 better because it has many more titles and the games are just better. the ps3 is a better piece of equipment though. you get a bunch of stuff for that extra 100 or so, but its titles suffer...

like you, i like the xbox controllers much better...

I personally like the controller for the PS3 better. I also like the titles that PS3 has over the 360. I like all of the extras that the PS3 has.

Ultimately , I like the PS3 better. I have a 360 too, but I never play it.

I also like the look of it. It looks great.

XBOX 360 hands down. Its not even close. And Im no "fanboy" for any company. I own a PS2, 360, Wii, DS and PSP. Havnt gotten a PS3 yet because the games I want to play for that system I can get on the 360 and the 360 destroys the PS3 in the exclusives department. I'll get a PS3 this coming year when their big exclusives start to hit stores but right now the 360 is by far the best next gen system in the games department. Especially when it comes to FPS's, which I see you have listed as one of your deciding factors.

Diat summed it up perfectly. You get more with the PS3 but the better gaming system is the 360.

Also, the PS3 is the cheapest Blu Ray player out right now.

I dont really have a preference for either company, but I do own a 360, and Halo 3 and Gears of War alone have made this system worth it (I had never played anything online before, but now cant stop)

Does either system come ready to be hooked up to my home wireless network?

The PS3 does. Xbox 360 wireless adapter costs another $100. PS3 online is free as well whereas Xbox Live costs $50 a month. Personally I don't see the big difference between the two other than price so free is always better. Also, if you add up the upgrade costs between the 360 and PS3, the PS3 is waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

Standard 40 gig PS3 - $399
Xbox 360 (20 gig) - $279

PS3 has wireless internet built in.
360 charges $100 for wireless internet adapter.

PS3 includes wireless controllers, with rechargeable Li-On batteries
360 uses AA batteries. For rechargeable kit, cost is $30

PS3 controllers can be used, while charging, with standard mini-usb cord which is included.
360 uses proprietary play and charge "kit" which costs extra $20.

PS3 uses any bluetooth headset for online communications (you can use one that you may already have for your cell phone). These start at $20 these days.
360 uses proprietary "headset communicator" which costs $60.

PS3 online is free.
360's Xbox Live costs $50 a year.

PS3 includes Blu-Ray drive
360 HD-DVD add-on costs $180.

PS3 has 40 gig hard drive, but you can upgrade with any laptop hard drive. Right now, 160 gig runs around $100.
360 uses proprietary hard drive. 120 gigs runs $180.

Even if you don't purchase the HD-DVD add on, the 360 costs $80 more. If you include the costs of the HD-DVD add on, the 360 costs $260 more, and that's if you opt not to upgrade the 360 hard drive so that you can fully utilize xbox live. And don't forget, Xbox live runs $50 every year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom